when is a bottle of wine not a bottle of wine?

vicky3vicky

I'm guilty of liking Arbor Mist - and it definitely doesn't taste like wine. It tastes like college to me... 🤣

But if you want non-grape wine, maybe you could find other fruit varieties in your grocery or liquor store? Here in Michigan I have seen and sampled blueberry, cherry, and apple wines, all labeled as wine and bottled the same, so probably wouldn't raise suspicions to get you hassled bringing them on board. They taste more like their component fruit, with the sweetness of a Riesling or Moscato.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

These are not being allowed on board.

3 hours ago, Joe817 said:

That's  what my wife drinks, and was planning to take a bottle on board on our Dream cruise last Sept. 26, but alas someone DID try to take it on board just before our sailing and they announced that it was confiscated at port check in. So we didn't even attempt it. 

I'm curious as to how they (security) knew what you were bringing. We put our wine in our carry-on suitcase, which of course goes through the x-ray machine where they can see the bottles. We have never been asked to open the suitcase and show the bottles. These bottles are the same shapes - are they now asking to open suitcases and look at the bottles?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I'm curious as to how they (security) knew what you were bringing. We put our wine in our carry-on suitcase, which of course goes through the x-ray machine where they can see the bottles. We have never been asked to open the suitcase and show the bottles. These bottles are the same shapes - are they now asking to open suitcases and look at the bottles?

I have no idea. You'd have to talk to them. My guess is that the bottles were not in suitcases. And those bottles have a square bottom, not round.

5 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Every single cruise I have ever been on, over 17 years, out of several ports, on 4 different cruiselines, I have always had my carry-on luggage opened and manually inspected, including my wine bottles.

ETA: After manual/visual inspection, it goes through the x-ray machine.

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

Every single cruise I have ever been on, over 17 years, out of several ports, on 4 different cruiselines, I have always had my carry-on luggage opened and manually inspected, including my wine bottles.

I cannot remember the last time I was asked to open my carry-on when boarding a cruise. And I know for sure it has not been any of the four cruises since the restart after Covid.

• Like 2

Just now, ScottsSweetie said:

I cannot remember the last time I was asked to open my carry-on when boarding a cruise. And I know for sure it has not been any of the four cruises since the restart after Covid.

That is weirdly interesting, how different our experiences have been.  Maybe it's a port-specific protocol, and you and I have never cruised out of the same ports?

2 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

It happened to us on our last cruise. We sail out of Galveston, and they pulled us aside and inspected our carry on.

3 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

That is weirdly interesting, how different our experiences have been.  Maybe it's a port-specific protocol, and you and I have never cruised out of the same ports?

Perhaps, but I'm sure some have overlapped. I lived on the East coast up until two years ago and sailed out of most of the ones on that side of the country. I'm not saying my bags have never been inspected, but I cannot remember a specific time pre-Covid. Since the restart we've cruised 3 times from Long Beach and once from Seattle - sometimes with two carry-ons and sometimes with one. I am positive that those carry-ons were never inspected.

• Thanks 2

I have never been questioned about my wine.  I do wrap the bottle in bubble wrap, because I am an overachiever and a little bit OCD - we use off-site parking and I am afraid it will be damaged on the shuttle.  The shape of the bottle remains but the label is not visible.  It might be worth a try for getting not-quite-wine on board. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

1 minute ago, Joe817 said:

It happened to us on our last cruise. We sail out of Galveston, and they pulled us aside and inspected our carry on.

In my experience, it has been everyone gets their carry-on luggage manually inspected, not just individuals pulled aside.  I'm now really wondering if this is port-specific.  Admittedly, I have not cruised out of a lot of ports -Tampa, Seattle, Baltimore ( a lot of cruises out of Baltimore on 3 different lines), NYC, and Port Canaveral.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

ETA: After manual/visual inspection, it goes through the x-ray machine.

30 years of cruising out of different ports and cruise lines and have never had a bag opened/checked/inspected. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Island Dog said:

That's odd. No different than wine. Oh well.

I'm sure the other wines will satisfy the OP's desires.

Very different from wine, except shape of bottle. Maybe carrying in a winebag/2 bottle tote that doesn't show the label would work but depending on port most likely to get looked at and benefit the security BBQ later.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, sgttami said:

30 years of cruising out of different ports and cruise lines and have never had a bag opened/checked/inspected. 

This is getting weird.😕  Have you cruised out of Baltimore?  I have never been pulled aside for my carry-on to be inspected.  It was just part of the process everyone was going through.  After the first few times, I started packing everything inside my carry-on in Ziplock bags because I was kinda grossed-out by them rifling through my things with the same (gloved) hands they used to rifle through others'. 

11 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

This is getting weird.😕  Have you cruised out of Baltimore?  I have never been pulled aside for my carry-on to be inspected.  It was just part of the process everyone was going through.  After the first few times, I started packing everything inside my carry-on in Ziplock bags because I was kinda grossed-out by them rifling through my things with the same (gloved) hands they used to rifle through others'. 

My last 7 cruises have been out of Baltimore and no one has ever touched my carry on.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

There'll always be the "I got it on" crowd. Just means the person checking wasn't doing their job or just didn't care. 

The threads when Carnival removes wine as a carry on will be fun.

It will happen sooner than you think. Recorking wine with that liquor you use to be able to purchase is what will happen. About $15 on Amazon.

15 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

We have cruised 4 times in the last year. Different ports. Every time they have told us to go to the wine table to have our wine inspected. 

• Like 1