Internet Question

st5310

I suspect this issue has been discussed previously, but do not want to slog through thousands of replies... besides, the rules may have changed and I would prefer updated info.

To save time, I already know that Quantum-and-above classes include internet service.  But we are booked on the Enchantment which as you know requires the purchase of internet service.  So here are my questions:  DW and I are Diamond Plus.  I understand we are eligible for free internet, one device each, for the first two days.  Is that still available to us?  And can I purchase the remaining 5 days on board?  Thank you all for your replies.

I'm not sure how many days you get as D+, I know Diamond gets one day, but your free days of internet do not have to be used on the first two days, you can use them any time. It will be a 24 hr. period that will start when you first log on. So, if you first log on at 3:00 on Tuesday, you'll have access until 2:59 on Wednesday. You and your spouse will both (separately) get this benefit.

9 minutes ago, st5310 said:

I suspect this issue has been discussed previously, but do not want to slog through thousands of replies... besides, the rules may have changed and I would prefer updated info.

To save time, I already know that Quantum-and-above classes include internet service.  But we are booked on the Enchantment which as you know requires the purchase of internet service.  So here are my questions:  DW and I are Diamond Plus.  I understand we are eligible for free internet, one device each, for the first two days.  Is that still available to us?  And can I purchase the remaining 5 days on board?  Thank you all for your replies.

Quantum and above ships do not provide internet. Certain suite classes do. Yes you each get 2 24 hour periods of free internet on all ships. I'm using it now on Jewel.

1 minute ago, BND said:

Quantum and above ships do not provide internet. Certain suite classes do. Yes you each get 2 24 hour periods of free internet on all ships. I'm using it now on Jewel.

So it's about the cabin category and not the ship?  Anthem always gave free internet in a Grand Suite.  We are in a Grand Suite on Enchantment, but pretty sure we don't get internet included.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Correct. Only on O, Q and I class ships do you get free Voom with GS and higher cabins.

Excellent.  I should have clarified my cabin category.  Thank you, Biker19.  I am also assuming that five days booked onboard would be cheaper than 7 days booked pre-cruise.  Can you confirm?

19 minutes ago, st5310 said:

You will get a discount on a

package (due to the free two days).  Sometimes that is no better than buying pre cruise with their sale prices.   Just depends.  But you will each get 2 free 48 hour periods of internet.  If you both don’t need it all the time, that might be enough for your trip.  

1 minute ago, st5310 said:

Excellent.  I should have clarified my cabin category.  Thank you, Biker19.  I am also assuming that five days booked onboard would be cheaper than 7 days booked pre-cruise.  Can you confirm?

Are you travelling with another D+ member? If so, you will not need to purchase 5 days. As D+, you will each get 2 free days so in that case, you would only need to purchase 3 days.

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

You will get a discount on a

package (due to the free two days).  Sometimes that is no better than buying pre cruise with their sale prices.   Just depends.  But you will each get 2 free 48 hour periods of internet.  If you both don’t need it all the time, that might be enough for your trip.  

I will need internet the whole time, but I appreciate the info.  Is there any way to know ahead of time if buying pre-cruise will be the same as onboard?

2 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Are you travelling with another D+ member? If so, you will not need to purchase 5 days. As D+, you will each get 2 free days so in that case, you would only need to purchase 3 days.

Good point!  Thank you!

Internet might go cheaper with black friday sale.

You get 4 days total.

You can use your 2 days and then her 2 days, 4 total. The price changes depending on the day. It might just cover the zoom early on, then later I can use my 2 days credit thursday night and check for the rest of the cruise and get the last 3 nights and last 2 days of surf plus zoom and have $2 credit left over. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, st5310 said:

I will need internet the whole time, but I appreciate the info.  Is there any way to know ahead of time if buying pre-cruise will be the same as onboard?

Just you?   Or both of you?   If just you probably cheaper to just buy 3 extra days.  But that will require 3 different times of setting up your internet account.   Might just want to buy one package for the trip.  

Other probably know the normal onboard price per day.  I’m not sure.  

12 minutes ago, topnole said:

Just you?   Or both of you?   If just you probably cheaper to just buy 3 extra days.  But that will require 3 different times of setting up your internet account.   Might just want to buy one package for the trip.  

As I recall, you could purchase multiple days at 1 time. Often the cost per day gets cheaper in the last few days

Just now, John&LaLa said:

As I recall, you could purchase multiple days at 1 time. Often the cost per day gets cheaper in the last few days

No.  By three times I meant log in for 2

free days.  Repeat for next 2 free days.  Then again after buying the last 3 days package.  

13 minutes ago, topnole said:

This is a really good point, topnole.  Both of us are D+ and in a Grand Suite.  Depending on how much, might be more convenient to purchase pre-cruise and be done with it.  It's what we have done for previous cruises on Enchantment.  This is the first sailing where I am considering taking advantage of the 48-hour offer, thinking the difference in cost for the remaining week would be worth it.... 

1 minute ago, topnole said:

No.  By three times I meant log in for 2

free days.  Repeat for next 2 free days.  Then again after buying the last 3 days package.  

Haven't done it in years, but it seemed simple.

FWIW, I could typically wait until day two to log in first time. Used cellular service to cover most of day 1. Then hope for a port on day 4 for more cellular coverage. And finally activate 2nd 48 hours on day 5, the value of 48 hours was generally enough to get last 3 days for the price of two. This was Freedom/Oasis in 2016 and 2017

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Haven't done it in years, but it seemed simple.

FWIW, I could typically wait until day two to log in first time. Used cellular service to cover most of day 1. Then hope for a port on day 4 for more cellular coverage. And finally activate 2nd 48 hours on day 5, the value of 48 hours was generally enough to get last 3 days for the price of two. This was Freedom/Oasis in 2016 and 2017

It normally is simple (unless it isn’t due to glitches).   So not as nice

as once and done for the week (when it works out that way).  I haven’t had to buy separately in a while so I’m not quite as up on buying for a few days at the end.  We did that several years back it was a lot cheaper as I recall.  But your method above can definitely be used to pretty much cover a non essential internet user during a cruise.  

Just now, topnole said:

It normally is simple (unless it isn’t due to glitches).   So not as nice

as once and done for the week (when it works out that way).  I haven’t had to buy separately in a while so I’m not quite as up on buying for a few days at the end.  We did that several years back it was a lot cheaper as I recall.  But your method above can definitely be used to pretty much cover a non essential internet user during a cruise.  

Non essential? I did several Live Reviews using that method🤣🤣🤣

Luckily it was before Laura started gaming on her phone😉

2 hours ago, st5310 said:

You can use the search function.  Then you don't need to "slog through thousands of replies".  Google works too.

For us the 4 D+ days is enough.  Note that on large ships the credit is about $54 each and you actually can't buy the two days at the same time.  First day, use phone.  Second day buy one 24 hour period.  This can last through most of 3rd day depending on when you buy.  Day 3 or 4 buy second period.  On day 5 use other person's credit to cover rest of cruise.  Usually credit pays all but $9 of stream at that point.

3 hours ago, st5310 said:

To save time, I already know that Quantum-and-above classes include internet service. 

I am not aware of any RCL ship that includes free internet for any category below a full suite. Regardless of which ship you sail, you are going to have to pay for internet unless you are in a full suite. We have not sailed on smaller ships in a while, and their full suite perks never seemed sufficient to warrant the price differential from a JS so I don't know whether full suites on the older ships include Voom S+S as a suite perk.

Hopefully someone knows the answer and can chime in before you drop $$ on a package that would otherwise be free in your Grand Suite.

Edited by orville99