Excursions in Greenland & Iceland

coljack

40 minutes ago, coljack said:

We are sailing on Saturn in June from NYC to Greenland and Iceland.  Does anyone have any recommendations, good or bad, about any excursions?

Hi coljack - we are sailing along with you.  Thanks for asking the question.  However, I did a forum search awhile ago and found all kinds of information on Iceland excursions from the many Viking cruises that went there in 2021/2022.  Might take a look at those.  Too many to pick out.  I figured I'd do a search again when we get closer else I'll just forget all I read from these many posts of great information.

I was one of the people who went in 2021 to Iceland. Sorry but I don't have any Greenland experience.

Booking of tours was VERY competitive, in part because they didn't make bookings available one class at a time but instead opened it up to everyone all at once, which basically crashed their systems and created chaos. You'd have thought this would be obvious, but sometimes you can't stop people (i.e. Viking) from shootings themselves in the foot.

One tour that was very broadly loved was Vigur Island in Isafjordur. You cross to an island where the owner of the island and her family show you around. Lots of Puffins. Very warm and welcoming. Note that you CAN book the identical thing on your own.

Reykjavik was fun simply to stroll around. Nice town. There is a new thermal bath called "Sky Lagoon" which looks more upscale and comfortable than the more well known "Blue Lagoon", which is nice but very touristy and not really relaxing.

If you like hiking, both Heimaey and Djupivogur have really nice hiking starting from near the docks. At Heimaey we got a taxi to take us to the other end of the island and then walked back.

Definitely take a look at local tour operators and the kinds of options they have available. You'll get more variety of options without the competition to get the shore excursion before it sells out. 

• Like 5

I’ve been to Iceland 3 times and have twice driven the Ring Road around the country (850 miles more or less). Don’t rely exclusively on ship excursions to see Iceland’s magnificent landscape. Instead, you might consider renting a car out of Reykjavik to explore parts of the country in more detail (pre- or post-cruise).

Edited by SJD117
  • Like 3

We found the included walking tour in Seydisfjordur (population about 330) very interesting.  The guide grew up there and spoke about the town's history, how they early on had to order houses from Norway in kit form, what life is like now.  She said, when I asked, that life there is fairly accurately portrayed  in the TV series Trapped that was filmed there. 

We went on several excursions to the amazing sites in Iceland, but I  wanted to put in a plug for this smaller excursion.

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

You can go to the Blue Lagoon which is really runoff from a power plant and rub yourself with mud which is really, well, mud.

But it was top shelf mud.... And the best power plant runoff I have ever soaked in.  Almost no nuclear waste....😱

• Haha 2

We did Iceland with Viking in 2021, not long after Viking resumed operations.

We loved almost every single tour tour with Viking (independent options were not available because of Covid restrictions in place).

I would recommend:

Vigur Island (especially if you are looking for birds)

Northern Iceland Natural Treasures (if you are interested in the geology of the land)

Skalanes Nature Center (more birds and a beautiful drive)
Fjallsarlon Ice Lagoon by Zodiac ( expensive and long drive but gorgeous scenery; see the glaciers up close)

Most of these tour have accessibility issues -- steep steps on/off boats, rough terrain, steep terrain.

I do not recommend the following:
The included tour in Reykjavik -- walk around town on your own
The Reykjanes Peninsula tour (especially don't take it if you think you are going to see the erupting volcano because it cannot be seen from the road)
Wildlife of Heimaey by Boat -- it was cold and wet and we saw better birds at Vigur Island and Skalanes Nautre Center

We took two nights after the cruise and used GrayLines bus tour to do the Golden Circle tour at half the price Viking charged (even after buying our own lunch). They picked us up, luggage and all, at the ship and at the end of the day, dropped us at the bus stop nearest our hotel. You should have time to do this tour with GrayLines from the ship; they pick up and drop off at the ship.

Viking has not been to Greenland since the hiatus. Viking used to do a Bergen to Montreal repositioning cruise once a year for a couple ships that were wintering in the Caribbean after a summer in the Baltic. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

I was one of the people who went in 2021 to Iceland. Sorry but I don't have any Greenland experience.

Booking of tours was VERY competitive, in part because they didn't make bookings available one class at a time but instead opened it up to everyone all at once, which basically crashed their systems and created chaos. You'd have thought this would be obvious, but sometimes you can't stop people (i.e. Viking) from shootings themselves in the foot.

One tour that was very broadly loved was Vigur Island in Isafjordur. You cross to an island where the owner of the island and her family show you around. Lots of Puffins. Very warm and welcoming. Note that you CAN book the identical thing on your own.

Reykjavik was fun simply to stroll around. Nice town. There is a new thermal bath called "Sky Lagoon" which looks more upscale and comfortable than the more well known "Blue Lagoon", which is nice but very touristy and not really relaxing.

If you like hiking, both Heimaey and Djupivogur have really nice hiking starting from near the docks. At Heimaey we got a taxi to take us to the other end of the island and then walked back.

Definitely take a look at local tour operators and the kinds of options they have available. You'll get more variety of options without the competition to get the shore excursion before it sells out. 

Re Vigur Island.  It is private and capacity controlled.  If Viking or another cruise ship is in port, they book all the capacity within the time frame of back on board time.  Yes there may be a private tour in the afternoon but you will miss the ship.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We did Iceland with Viking in 2021, not long after Viking resumed operations.

We loved almost every single tour tour with Viking (independent options were not available because of Covid restrictions in place).

I would recommend:

Vigur Island (especially if you are looking for birds)

Northern Iceland Natural Treasures (if you are interested in the geology of the land)

Skalanes Nature Center (more birds and a beautiful drive)
Fjallsarlon Ice Lagoon by Zodiac ( expensive and long drive but gorgeous scenery; see the glaciers up close)

Most of these tour have accessibility issues -- steep steps on/off boats, rough terrain, steep terrain.

I do not recommend the following:
The included tour in Reykjavik -- walk around town on your own
The Reykjanes Peninsula tour (especially don't take it if you think you are going to see the erupting volcano because it cannot be seen from the road)
Wildlife of Heimaey by Boat -- it was cold and wet and we saw better birds at Vigur Island and Skalanes Nautre Center

We took two nights after the cruise and used GrayLines bus tour to do the Golden Circle tour at half the price Viking charged (even after buying our own lunch). They picked us up, luggage and all, at the ship and at the end of the day, dropped us at the bus stop nearest our hotel. You should have time to do this tour with GrayLines from the ship; they pick up and drop off at the ship.

Viking has not been to Greenland since the hiatus. Viking used to do a Bergen to Montreal repositioning cruise once a year for a couple ships that were wintering in the Caribbean after a summer in the Baltic. 

I definitely second Peregrina's recommendeds.  Instead of Vigur Island we did the Dynjandi Waterfall hike which was demanding for sure but awesome.  We figured we would see puffins at Skalanes which we did.  When in Seydisfjordur we did both the Skalanes nature center as well as the Vok Baths plus we walked around Seydisfjordur on our own.  Baths were not touristy at all.

Enjoyed the Golden Circle with Viking.  The 3 all day excursions included very nice lunches.  Stuck with Viking for all excursions until departure day.  We had a 5:30 pm flight home so took a small group tour through the Reykenes Penninsula with drop off at the airport.  It was much different then Vikings.  We had no expectation of seeing the volcano but all the stops were interesting from the walk along bubbling pools, to steaming fumaroles with a working geothermal plant in the background, to the basalt cliffs and lighthouse.  We stopped in a small fishing village at a very local cafe for lunch too. 

• Like 1

When in Reykjavik, if time permits, visit Harpa, the beautiful concert hall…

good place for lunch and there is an afternoon tour that takes you backstage. My favorite museum is the National Museum of Iceland…so much to see; I have spent hours there. Great city, lovely people, good food —-from hot dogs to gourmet. Enjoy!

• Like 2

On 11/15/2022 at 1:07 AM, Peregrina651 said:

We were on this year's Wake of the Viking's tour with Viking on this very cruise.
Recommend the In Search of Icebergs tour in Nanortalik Greenland. They provide you with a coverall suit and take you up close & personal to the icebergs.

Edited by philw1776

Thank to everyone contributing to this thread!  My wife and I are booked on Iconic Iceland, Greenland & Canada in June 2024, so hopefully folks booked for the earlier, inaugural run next year of this itinerary will resurrect this discussion and post their experiences here when the time comes.

3 hours ago, philw1776 said:

We were on this year's Wake of the Viking's tour with Viking on this very cruise.
Recommend the In Search of Icebergs tour in Nanortalik Greenland. They provide you with a coverall suit and take you up close & personal to the icebergs.

Thanks, Phil!   We are doing NYC-Reykjavik in June, which has the 2 Greenland spots.  I saw this excursion listed, so your thoughts are appreciated!  We might just do this very unique outing, as we've certainly done plenty of city walking tours on our cruises.

Iceberg tour. Captain broke off pieces & handed them around.
One of several different icebergs visited.
We had perfect 55 degreeF weather with blue skies and calm waters.
Not much to see in town but interesting to walk thru.
image.thumb.jpeg.e007c0eb9d2e94fc77ada28714b79ed2.jpeg

Edited by philw1776
  • Like 1

We were on Wake of the Vikings in Sept. 2019. In Greenland,  did not get to Nanortalik as time only allowed for a cruise through glacier alley in Prince Christian Sound. In Qaqortoq (pronounced like “cork-uh-talk”), only the self-guided walking tour was offered as I recall, but community members were stationed around the village to greet us and give demonstrations of village life. At the church there was a lecture/slide show about the region; at the gymnasium a local Native chorus with drummers; at the dock several young men demonstrating kayak rolls in the Arctic water (!). We found it all interesting and great fun.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Iceberg tour. Captain broke off pieces & handed them around.
One of several different icebergs visited.
We had perfect 55 degreeF weather with blue skies and calm waters.
Not much to see in town but interesting to walk thru.

Wow, that's amazing that they can still do that these days. If the Captain tried that in Alaska, s/he would end up in the crow bar hotel.😁

Back in the 70/80's, every week in Glacier Bay, I would launch one of the boats and go fishing for a floating bergy bit. Bring it back aboard and the galley crew used it for carving a sculpture, which was displayed at dinner for all to see and touch.

Sad that many things we could do years ago are now taboo.

• Like 2

In 2008, the captain on our NCL cruise round the horn had a dingy launched and it went out towards the glacier. Along the way they picked up some of an iceberg and brought it aboard. Rumor was that he had one bit in his scotch that night. A big hunk was brought up to the pool deck for us all to see up close. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

In 2008, the captain on our NCL cruise round the horn had a dingy launched and it went out towards the glacier. Along the way they picked up some of an iceberg and brought it aboard. Rumor was that he had one bit in his scotch that night. A big hunk was brought up to the pool deck for us all to see up close. 

Our captain did the same on the 2019 WC.

F18512B3-3F87-45E3-B13E-4D7E96DA4C23.jpeg

• Like 1