A Day New York (and surrounding area) with a baby and lugagge

AndyLovesCruises

Hi Guys, I hope I have put this in the right group. 

We have a 15-month-old and will be docking back into New York (Banyon) early doors in Jan, are flight from JFK does not leave until 19:00,  I'm reluctant to get to JFK and spend all day in the airport.  I have unsuccessfully been trying to find any company that either (will sort our luggage for us) and get it to the airport OR find a tour company that can take us along with our luggage for the day.   

This is the end of a 3 week trip so there is 3 full cases of lugagge plus a pram 😄

Any suggestions would be amazing.  

5 minutes ago, AndyLovesCruises said:

Hi Guys, I hope I have put this in the right group. 

We have a 15-month-old and will be docking back into New York (Banyon) early doors in Jan, are flight from JFK does not leave until 19:00,  I'm reluctant to get to JFK and spend all day in the airport.  I have unsuccessfully been trying to find any company that either (will sort our luggage for us) and get it to the airport OR find a tour company that can take us along with our luggage for the day.   

This is the end of a 3 week trip so there is 3 full cases of lugagge plus a pram 😄

Any suggestions would be amazing.  

Did you mean to say that your ship will be docking in Bayonne, NJ in January?

I suggest posting this on:

East Coast Departure Ports: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

You might also post it on the family cruises board although it is filled with more general (but very useful) info about traveling with kids than specific ports:

Family Cruises:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

What I did years ago when traveling with little ones was to get a day room at an airport hotel.

I think this is the best bet, if there are ones available. Keep in mind it's still a pretty good haul from Bayonne to JFK (Bayonne being pretty much right by Newark, but quite a distance from JFK), so you will likely spend quite a bit of time getting from one location to the other. But yes, if you can find a day room at a JFK airport, that would probably be ideal for your situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

Book a hotel at JFK, you'll then have the freedom to do whatever you want for the day.  I'm sure it depends on how the baby is feeling about life, so having choices is good.   

Sadly there's not a whole lot to do around JFK, especially with a kiddo. By the time they get off the ship in Bayonne, get across Staten Island, get across Brooklyn, get to the hotel, check in, and then have to be at JFK 2-3 hours ahead for an international flight, the amount of time at the hotel actually won't be massive. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

How about taking Uber to TWA Hotel at JFK. You can give your bags to bellman. Have a meal and walk around. Then Pick up your bags and Uber to the terminal or take AirTrain. 

TWA Hotel is a great option and they do allow you to get a room for up to 4 hours for something around $150. Can be easily booked on their website. 

Even if you don't stay at the hotel you can pay a fee to use their rooftop pool overlooking the runway-- its open year round and heated with a fun bar/restaurant up there. It's located adjacent to Terminal 5 so unless you are flying JetBlue you'll need to build in a little bit of time to get over to your terminal, but not bad. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 12:50 PM, Got2Cruise said:

How about taking Uber to TWA Hotel at JFK. You can give your bags to bellman. Have a meal and walk around. Then Pick up your bags and Uber to the terminal or take AirTrain. 

At least you’ll spend some time out of the terminal. 

Damn this is a good option. I keep meaning to get to that hotel as an aviation geek, but haven't yet. 

• Like 1