NCL dropping the e-muster??

malawijay

I went on a cruise last month, and my muster station was right when you entered the ship.  They scanned my card and I went on my way.  I had no idea why they scanned my card.  If there was an emergency and a need to go to muster stations, I wouldn't have had a clue.  I didn't even remember what deck we entered the ship on.  I say this to say that if they want to stick with the emuster, they should do a better job of letting people know what's happening.  Or maybe I was just the slow one of the bunch 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were just on the Bliss, and we had to meet where our muster station was (there were people along the way to point us in the right direction) and they scanned our card and that was it, we were on our way.  Much prefer it this way than standing around waiting for everyone to get there like the old way.

• Like 3

If they are going to return to having the drill at the muster stations in the theatre and restaurants, etc., they need to make those drills meaningful.  They need to get everyone to STFU and pay attention. And they need to make sure that the crew who are doing the demonstrations can be seen and heard.  Otherwise, it's a waste of time. 

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

If they are going to return to having the drill at the muster stations in the theatre and restaurants, etc., they need to make those drills meaningful.  They need to get everyone to STFU and pay attention. And they need to make sure that the crew who are doing the demonstrations can be seen and heard.  Otherwise, it's a waste of time. 

I've been to a few of them were the crew kept announcing over and over for everyone to be quiet. 75% of the passangers couldn't manage that

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

While I know many people prefer the old style muster drills, I preferred the E-muster.  The length of time we had to wait to get everyone to the station was so long - and before I had my hips replaced it was painful; and except for “Captain Bob Speaking’s” speeches and announcements on the Enchantment (really enjoyed him) , I totally can’t understand what’s being said! I actually watched the safety channel to go over it. Much prefer the E-musters, but I will put my mask on and comply with whatever they decide.

• Like 5

Looking at our upcoming NCL cruise, no getting the email or reminders to watch the eMuster safety video on YT like before, hmmm.  We'll see what happen once we are able to complete OLCI next month - not thrilled about lining up at the assembly station, packed sometimes in the hundreds closely together ... But, it is what it is 🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

Easy, yes.  But the countless number of emails with the link to watch the video is maddening!!!😏

I'll take that tradeoff.  I find the in person musters a useless waste of time.  Personally, if they tell me my muster station is, say, Cagneys, I'm not going to learn anything more by sitting there than I would by watching the video.  I'll even watch it 2-3 times if they want me to.  But if it's the federal regs, so be it.  It isn't like it will ruin my vacation.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My first crusie, on Premier Cruise Lines Big Red Boat back in like 1995 we not only had to line up at our lifeboat station, we had to put on lifevests! The e-muster is so great, but a lot of people don't do it. The ship is paging loads of families before sailing out. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, malawijay said:

My first crusie, on Premier Cruise Lines Big Red Boat back in like 1995 we not only had to line up at our lifeboat station, we had to put on lifevests! The e-muster is so great, but a lot of people don't do it. The ship is paging loads of families before sailing out. 

There are ways to ensure compliance:  You tell everyone that their room keys won't work for bars or restaurants until after they're checked-in at the muster station 🙂

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

I am sorry to read this, but, if true, I understand this. I think many complied with the emuster, but there were probably always more than a few that didn't check in, didn't watch the video, etc thereby forcing the crew to invest time trying to herd everyone in. I know on a recent cruise (not NCL) the cruise director had to make at least 10 announcements begging people to check in so we could depart. I think when they have the mass muster drill at a designated time, it is easier to force people to comply. The bars close, the buffet closes, the stewards can check staterooms, deck staff can tell anyone loitering around to go to their muster station etc.

• Like 3

The e-muster seemed to tie up some of the crew for a longer period of time than just doing it for everyone all at once. When we did the e-muster muster, we did it right away upon boarding. We reported to our muster station and got our cards swiped. I remember wondering how long crew would be standing around waiting for everyone else to get around to doing it. 

Edited by Cruising Lynne
  • Like 2