Man Overboard on Carnival Valor found alive

BlerkOne

48 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

The fact that he survived after the fall and in the gulf for 12+ hours is incredible. 

According to CNN he was transferred from another vessel to a coast guard helicopter - https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/man-rescued-carnival-cruise-gulf-of-mexico/index.html so it sounds like an unnamed ship initially found & rescued him, to me it’s unclear how long he spent in the gulf, but it’s still remarkable that he survived the fall & that a vessel happened to find him.

Edited by sndral
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, sndral said:

According to CNN he was transferred from another vessel to a coast guard helicopter - https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/man-rescued-carnival-cruise-gulf-of-mexico/index.html so it sounds like an unnamed ship initially found & rescued him, to me it’s unclear how long he spent in the gulf, but it’s still remarkable that he survived the fall & that a vessel happened to find him.

I missed that part. Definitely still crazy and lucky. 

• Like 2

When I read of these accounts, the information that always seems to be missing is exactly how the passenger managed to "fall" off the ship.  As a seasoned cruiser, I know from personal experience, it's virtually impossible to "fall" over the typical 4-foot railings that surround most of the open areas on cruise ships.  So, there would have to be some kind of specific circumstances to make someone go over the railing.  Some possible causes could be inebriation - which could lead to lack of judgment obviously - something more sinister like being pushed or assisted to go over by another passenger - or other possible situations which could get the passenger off the ship.  Not to be excluded would be the possibility of jumping from one of the higher decks, in which case the railing wouldn't necessarily be a barrier.  In all my years of cruising, I have never felt and danger about "falling" overboard, so I always wonder when I read these stories, just how exactly does a passenger end up off the ship and in the water?  inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, SemperFi_Cruiser said:

When I read of these accounts, the information that always seems to be missing is exactly how the passenger managed to "fall" off the ship.  As a seasoned cruiser, I know from personal experience, it's virtually impossible to "fall" over the typical 4-foot railings that surround most of the open areas on cruise ships.  So, there would have to be some kind of specific circumstances to make someone go over the railing.  Some possible causes could be inebriation - which could lead to lack of judgment obviously - something more sinister like being pushed or assisted to go over by another passenger - or other possible situations which could get the passenger off the ship.  Not to be excluded would be the possibility of jumping from one of the higher decks, in which case the railing wouldn't necessarily be a barrier.  In all my years of cruising, I have never felt and danger about "falling" overboard, so I always wonder when I read these stories, just how exactly does a passenger end up off the ship and in the water?  inquiring minds want to know.

You listed all the possibilities. No other way, PERIOD. 

• Like 1

I cannot believe they found him alive. I remember reading the article yesterday and thinking what a tragedy… they’ll never find his body. I would love to hear the details of this story. I feel like it should be documented on that tv show “I survived” 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Why?  No crime was committed.  And, after many hours in the ocean, his BAC would be zero.

If other drugs were also involved. If someone doctored his drinks wouldn't that be a crime? Then there might be criminal assistance to (attempted) suicide.

Could it have been a stunt?

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If other drugs were also involved. If someone doctored his drinks wouldn't that be a crime?

Where would be the probable cause to test for drugs?  Unless he claimed that someone drugged his drinks, there would be no cause.

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Then there might be criminal assistance to (attempted) suicide.

As far as I know, there is no federal law against assisted suicide, it is a state by state law.

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Could it have been a stunt?

And, if it was?

• Like 2

It says he was found about 20 miles from SouthWest Pass ... not to be graphic or gross, but I'm honestly very surprised he wasn't attacked or eaten by anything around there. 

We fish there often and the creatures that habitat the area where the river meets the Gulf are pretty intense. Sharks, gators, eels, rays, all manor of things. Especially as the start to make their winter migration to that area between Southwest Pass and Grand Isle, up into Lafitte Preserve.

Anyway, it's essentially where the ships enter and exit the Mississippi River on sailings:

IMG_6700.thumb.PNG.050f29dea24440a6946810db2a41f4d6.PNG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Where would be the probable cause to test for drugs?  Unless he claimed that someone drugged his drinks, there would be no cause.

As far as I know, there is no federal law against assisted suicide, it is a state by state law.

And, if it was?

My turn. Why didn't the MOB cameras pick up the man falling? The state is Louisiana and would be Louisiana laws. Why wasn't the man forthcoming with how he ended up in the water? Do you mean there are no consequences for someone who ends up in the water? He certainly should be kept for observation and a mental evaluation of some sort.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Why didn't the MOB cameras pick up the man falling?

I don't believe Carnival has automated MOB cameras, so unless someone was actually looking at the feed at the time, they wouldn't know.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The state is Louisiana and would be Louisiana laws.

No, 20 miles off SW pass is outside of state waters (3 miles) and even federal waters (12 miles).

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Why wasn't the man forthcoming with how he ended up in the water

Why should he, unless someone did something to him?

Do you mean there are no consequences for someone who ends up in the water?

Correct.

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

He certainly should be kept for observation and a mental evaluation of some sort.

Prudent, for sure, but not a legal requirement.

• Thanks 1

My turn. Why didn't the MOB cameras pick up the man falling?

unfortunately most ships do not have any MOB camera systems to detect this in real time. the cameras you see on the side of the ship is just there for security and is mostly used to see different spots around the ship. like the captain uses the camera to help position the ship in port 

Just now, chengkp75 said:

No, 20 miles off SW pass is outside of state waters (3 miles) and even federal waters (12 miles).

He obviously wasn't picked up where he went over. How many miles would the Mississippi have carried him ? At New Orleans, the river flows about 3 miles per hour.

Just now, chengkp75 said:

• Like 1