Military Gathering Cruise Director Policy

aqualibra

On a recent Carnival cruise, I noticed that during the playing of the National Anthem, the CD did not salute the flag, only held his arms at his side and didn't even remove his hat. Is this Carnival's policy? If not and it is his personal or political choice, I don't think he should be hosting the event! Anyone else notice this and know the policy? I had mentioned this to him on a previous cruise and he just ignored me.

24 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Was the CD from the U.S?

Are any? They all seem to be UK based.

And indeed, if not US citizens it is not expected or even appropriate decorum to salute (if current or former military) or put your hand on heart (if civilian), as is customary (but not required) for US citizens.

So the CD should have done exactly as he did.

This link explains what citizens should do, and also explains what you shouldn't do for a foreign anthem (which is reciprocated for the case of the non-citizen CD):

https://www.etiquetteschoolofamerica.com/u-s-flag-pledge-of-allegiance-and-national-anthem-etiquette/

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why he would have been wearing a hat to begin with. But like someone else said, there's etiquette for people, and it's different if you're not a U.S. citizen.

I have to say on ours, it happened to be on Veteran's Day, and ours was great! It lasted for well over an hour, with many people standing up to talk and share a story. We even had a WWII veteran who stood up and spoke. Our CD was also very good, he even plays the trumpet himself, so he performed Taps!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, aqualibra said:

His name is Cameron Chavis. From what I've heard he was born and raised in Texas and is a U.S. Citizen. And yes, he was wearing a ball cap during the event and on stage.

Both of these are new to me, never heard of Cameron Chavis before nor never seen a CD wear a hat before.

I can't say whether or not Carnival has an expectation for their cruise directors during the military appreciation event. Personally if I was the cruise director's boss, I'd expect him/her to be respectful during the event or I'd expect him/her hand the event off to someone else.

• Like 3

As a veteran myself, I served to protect the rights of ALL people. Even those with whom I may disagree.

Whatever the CD's reaction or decision is not enough for my drawers to get bunched up about. There are more important things to be concerned about. Like unauthorized people going to their cabins before 1:30. 😁

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, klfrodo said:

As a veteran myself, I served to protect the rights of ALL people. Even those with whom I may disagree.

This for me as well.  I compare this to the NFL taking a knee.  Do I agree with it?  No, but I will defend to the death their right to do it.  

• Like 6

10 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Whatever the CD's reaction or decision is not enough for my drawers to get bunched up about. There are more important things to be concerned about. Like unauthorized people going to their cabins before 1:30. 😁

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

This for me as well.  I compare this to the NFL taking a knee.  Do I agree with it?  No, but I will defend to the death their right to do it.  

Well said. I personally take pride in saluting our flag but I can understand why others don't, even if I don't agree with their reasoning. 

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 3

I go to Vet events on board to meet and honor others who have also served.  There's great comradery and good vibes.  Wind up enjoying the cruise with several just met people.  And greeting others in passing.  I like the ceremony being respectful and recognition for all who have served.  Care less about someone's attire so long as they are respectful during the proceedings. 

• Like 3

I'll ask this question because I have to admit, I've never attended one of these gatherings while on board a cruise ship. Do they play the national anthem for ALL nationalities of veterans on board for that sailing? Or only the American national anthem?

3 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I'll ask this question because I have to admit, I've never attended one of these gatherings while on board a cruise ship. Do they play the national anthem for ALL nationalities of veterans on board for that sailing? Or only the American national anthem?

DH and I have been to a few of these. DH former Marine and I am retired Army.  US national anthem played along with the songs representing each of the services (US forces). Towards the end a shout out was given to troops from any other countries and they were asked to stand and be recognized but national anthems from those other countries were not played. These are totally awesome celebrations to recognize our active and retired military members as well as a thank you to the families for their support.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dixe Lee said:

Towards the end a shout out was given to troops from any other countries and they were asked to stand and be recognized but national anthems from those other countries were not played. These are totally awesome celebrations to recognize our active and retired military members as well as a thank you to the families for their support.

Not so "totally awesome" for non-American veterans, to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Linguist208 said:

You are not required or expected to attend the event if it's not to your taste. I'm sure if you asked those foreign veterans they would be happy they attended even if it was focused on Carnival's target audience.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Linguist208 said:

Sorry to respectfully disagree. We had a couple of international military servicemen at the last one we attended in October (can’t remember the country they were from) but they appeared to us to be highly honored to be recognized. Since most attendees show up, not having to sign up in advance or anything like that it would be difficult for CCL to know which countries will be represented but I don’t think anyone left feeling like they were not welcomed and graciously thanked for their service. 

• Like 6

I, too, am a U.S. vet and the only time I've ever saluted during the national anthem was when I was in uniform. As a civilian now, I neither salute nor put my hand over my heart, and simply choose to stand at attention. So long as the CD conducted the rest of the gathering in a respectful manner, what does it matter what he chooses to do/not do during the playing of a song? Sounds like he acted respectfully by standing quietly, so I don't see a problem...? 

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Linguist208 said:

Perhaps you will suggest to Carnival that the flag of the United Nations could be present on stage standing alongside the American flag.

GentleGirl.USA UN International Table Flag, Stick Small Mini United Nations Flag Office Table Flag on Stand with Stand Base, International Festival,Home Desk Decoration

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here is the wording of 36 U.S. Code § 301 "National anthem"

(a) Designation.—The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(b) Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—

(1)when the flag is displayed—

(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for  individuals in uniform; and

(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I guess I remember the days that all U.S. Citizens followed the U.S. Code that states:

"all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart"

I guess times have changed, but I always follow the code. If others don't that's their own decision. Personally, I believe that since he was representing Carnival, he should have followed the code as a U.S. Citizen.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aqualibra said:

I guess I remember the days that all U.S. Citizens followed the U.S. Code that states:

"all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart"

I guess times have changed, but I always follow the code. If others don't that's their own decision. Personally, I believe that since he was representing Carnival, he should have followed the code as a U.S. Citizen.

I tend to agree. If he is not willing to show the event the respect it deserves - that is his choice. But he should hand off the event to somebody else. Not the time or place for a demonstration. My opinion.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Linguist208 said:

On US-based cruises like 95% of passengers are American. Next to that, the next largest group are Canadians and they specifically ask if there are any Canadian veterans (there almost never are). 

No one is forced to attend. If a non-American veteran has something to say, they can contribute during the open forum when all are welcome to speak.

Did you actually have something to contribute to the conversation? 

• Like 3