Two styles of cruising emerging WITHIN Celebrity... traditional vs. high energy YOUNGER crowds.

taras333

2 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Thanks...and honestly the internet can't be much worse than it was on the Apex trip we just finished a couple of weeks ago.  We've done 7 TA's with X and never had internet that bad. 

I was booked on that crossing but changed it to Odessey of the Seas because I wanted real verandas.  Internet on Odessey was pretty decent.  I could make calls using WhatsApp. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RichYak said:

Which itineraries?

All 7-day Caribbean. We limit our cruises to ports out of Florida because we would rather not fly when we have multiple cruise ports within a short drive - one of the reasons we moved to Florida in the first place.

12 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Are they? A bold statement and no doubt some are but I suspect a majority are not. I make that judgement from the conversations we have on the cruises we have been on and have yet to have one with someone who has told me they’re done with Celebrity and are off to premium lines. And despite this board having a share of cruisers who like to complain about them the majority keep going back. 

Well let's count the numbers.  The blue chip club is offering free E class cruises to fill up their ships.  You don't have to be vocal to go someplace else.  E-class is a less desirable vacation IMHO.

Who is the majority that is going back?  Perhaps the suite cruisers?  OK.  I get that they have the retreat and they did not have most of their amenities taken away.  Most of the positive reviews are for the suites.

The IVs are the most complained about gripe that I have ever heard about on a cruise.  People should not be complaining on a cruise unless the accomadations are sub-par.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Well let's count the numbers.  The blue chip club is offering free E class cruises to fill up their ships.  You don't have to be vocal to go someplace else.  E-class is a less desirable vacation IMHO.

Who is the majority that is going back?  Perhaps the suite cruisers?  OK.  I get that they have the retreat and they did not have most of their amenities taken away.  Most of the positive reviews are for the suites.

The IVs are the most complained about gripe that I have ever heard about on a cruise.  People should not be complaining on a cruise unless the accomadations are sub-par.

You conveniently omitted the fact that they're also giving away free cabins on M & S Class ships.

You are right that the IV cabins are polarizing but there are those who like them. One of the biggest complaints I've read an IV is that when you lower the window the HVAC turns off. We recently were in a Sky Suite on the Apex, and there is a plaque on the door that clearly shows unless it's locked the HVAC is off, so it seems that criticism seems to be misplaced.

At the end of the day, CC is an active community of impassioned cruisers which makes it a perfect echo chamber for opinions both good & bad. DW & I really liked our first time on the Apex, and we didn't spend all our time in the Retreat. We're looking forward to booking at least another cruise on an Edge class ship.

26 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

You conveniently omitted the fact that they're also giving away free cabins on M & S Class ships.

You are right that the IV cabins are polarizing but there are those who like them. One of the biggest complaints I've read an IV is that when you lower the window the HVAC turns off. We recently were in a Sky Suite on the Apex, and there is a plaque on the door that clearly shows unless it's locked the HVAC is off, so it seems that criticism seems to be misplaced.

At the end of the day, CC is an active community of impassioned cruisers which makes it a perfect echo chamber for opinions both good & bad. DW & I really liked our first time on the Apex, and we didn't spend all our time in the Retreat. We're looking forward to booking at least another cruise on an Edge class ship.

There is no misplacement about the criticism of the IVs.  They are sub-par.

There are only two cruise ships that I have been on that I have heard complaints while cruising.  One was a HAL ship that was going in for refurbishment.  I totally understand.  The other was the Edge where the IVs were marketed as something better than a balcony.  LOL!  

Now the difference between the people who like the IVs and the people that will sail better ships is that the people who dislike the IVs spend more time on the balcony.  Not possible on a IV.  

Come on Celebrity,  just market it as an open/close window and the complaints will disappear.  Don't attempt to fool people into thinking that is a balcony.

Only one of about 10 or so complaints about the lesser experience on E-class.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

There is no misplacement about the criticism of the IVs.  They are sub-par.

In your opinion. For the moment I don't have firsthand knowledge, but as I said I've read the opinions of other CC members that don't share that opinion, and neither you nor I know how much time they spent on the "fake" balcony with the divider closed or not. People also complain about the furniture on the Edge class ships and quite honestly even with my bad knees & hips, I didn't have any issues with most of it. The loungers around the pool were a little problematic but no more than the ones on the S Class ships for me.

Luckily our Apex sailing wasn't full, so I had the ability to tour an empty IV but that isn't the same as sailing in one for 7+ days. Perhaps once I've sailed in an IV, I'll share your opinion, but that's TBD and it won't be formed simply by reading the opinions & reviews of others.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

In your opinion. For the moment I don't have firsthand knowledge, but as I said I've read the opinions of other CC members that don't share that opinion, and neither you nor I know how much time they spent on the "fake" balcony with the divider closed or not. People also complain about the furniture on the Edge class ships and quite honestly even with my bad knees & hips, I didn't have any issues with most of it. The loungers around the pool were a little problematic but no more than the ones on the S Class ships for me.

Luckily our Apex sailing wasn't full, so I had the ability to tour an empty IV but that isn't the same as sailing in one for 7+ days. Perhaps once I've sailed in an IV, I'll share your opinion, but that's TBD and it won't be formed simply by reading the opinions & reviews of others.

It is just an open/close window.  So therefore the complaints from cruisers.

Did you isolate from the rest of the ship?  Did you talk to your fellow cruisers?

On MSC’s newest ship the IV is marketed as an OV cabin. The fatal flaw in the E class design is that the vast majority of cabins have this feature whereas it’s a small portion of cabins on other cruise lines. Both RCL Icon class and MSC World Europa have them as infinite ocean view cabins while still carry mostly traditional balconies.

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, abbydancer said:

Exactly.  Sell it as the most kick-a** ocean view ever,  and you'll make a lot of people happy.

I'm no electrician, but I have to believe that the electromechanical architecture of the IV design is going to degrade faster over time than the purely mechanical of a "regular" balcony.

Then again, I'd call an Edge Villa a true "infinite veranda."

The many IV staterooms with big windows that open can only euphemistically be called "infinite veranda."

It's like calling a Sky Suite a "suite." At best, it's a big(ger) room. An RS (or better), now these are real suites. They have the features and size and amenities of real suites.

I get why Celebrity does the naming convention. People are willing to pay for the added "features" or "status" or whatever, and Celebrity prices them where their demographic will just stretch enough to buy into it.

Every cruise line does it. Every hotel does it.

These are revenue increasing schemes that play on the perceptions (of exclusivity, or value, or quality) that people invariably buy into... 😂

Edited by 4-2-N-8

10 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

It's like calling a Sky Suite a "suite." At best, it's a big(ger) room. An RS (or better), now these are real suites.

I get why Celebrity does it, people are willing to pay for the added "featur

es" or "status" or whatever, and they price them where their demographic will just enough buy into it.

Hotels do the same.

These are revenue increasing schemes that play on perceptions that people buy into... 😂

Sky suites are actually what, on other lines, be called a mini suite.  Although X does provide a more suite-like experience than other lines (at least Princess) does.

• Like 2

I've only every sailed on Solstice class, but will be trying the Beyond B2B in February out of FtL. So so excited. From all the videos I have seen, the decor looks amazing, the food looks amazing; as does the entertainment. For reference, I am 28, and took my first X cruise at 18. 

We have booked a Sunset Verandah as we are not sold on the IV yet. Will hopefully make friends with someone who has one so we can have a sneak peak. 

The complaints I keep seeing are

- Chairs around the ship are difficult to get in/out of

- Music is too loud

- Bars are too busy

- IV's are not proper balaconies

- No sky Lounge

Well, I have no issues with chairs, I like loud music, busy bars create atmosphere, have a proper balcony and every Sky Lounge I have ever been to has been dead. So hopefully there shouldn't be too much i dislike with the Beyond? 😂

Celebrity had to find their niche. Before the changes to a more modern, younger focused line, they were basically Princess with better food. Now they have their niche. I like it, my parents in their 50s like it. So if you don't like the new direction, there are plenty of other cruise lines around to try. 

6 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

If you are outside on your balcony in a Suite on "E" class and the door is closed the AC does NOT turn off.  There is no way to fully close/lock the balcony door on "E" class when  outside as there is on "S" & "M" class ships.  Is that a big deal?  Well.....  when we were at sea and sat on the balcony with the door "closed" the whistling of the wind was often more powerful than the sound of the sea.    But the AC didn't turn off.

Our friends were in an IV room.  We visited them and thought it was ok but doubt we would ever book one.  The windows are closed every night at 11PM (at least they were on this sailing) which would make us very unhappy as we like to sit on the balcony late in the evening.  

59 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

I've only every sailed on Solstice class, but will be trying the Beyond B2B in February out of FtL. So so excited. From all the videos I have seen, the decor looks amazing, the food looks amazing; as does the entertainment. For reference, I am 28, and took my first X cruise at 18. 

We have booked a Sunset Verandah as we are not sold on the IV yet. Will hopefully make friends with someone who has one so we can have a sneak peak. 

- Music is too loud

- Bars are too busy

- No sky Lounge

Well, I have no issues with chairs, I like loud music, busy bars create atmosphere, have a proper balcony and every Sky Lounge I have ever been to has been dead. So hopefully there shouldn't be too much i dislike with the Beyond? 😂

Celebrity had to find their niche. Before the changes to a more modern, younger focused line, they were basically Princess with better food. Now they have their niche. I like it, my parents in their 50s like it. So if you don't like the new direction, there are plenty of other cruise lines around to try. 

Did you and your parents both book Sunset Veranda cabins?

On 12/2/2022 at 3:16 AM, cruisingator2 said:

Unfortunately there are some that think that X is some sort of upscale cruise line. They’re not. It’s Celebrity and their marketing of “Modern Luxury” Far from it. They’re considered a premium mass market line like Princess and HAL. Nothing more. A step up over Carnival, RCI, NCL and without the Yacht Club…..MSC… Nothing more. Some people just need to grasp reality.  

If people want to think that then that’s their business. Never ceases to amaze me when people who post here tell others what they should think. We happen to love Celebrity, think it’s luxurious and upscale. We would only sail another line if we couldn’t find an appropriate itinerary for a place we wanted to go, e.g. Hawaii. That is our OPINION, please allow us to have one even if it differs from yours.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glitterati said:

- Music is too loud

- Bars are too busy

- No sky Lounge

I am on the Feb 12th sailing and in an IV, will happily show you my room if you're on this sailing. I didn't book this cruise for the stateroom, I wanted the ship vibe and sunshine! I sail in all different stateroom categories and it depends on the destination and ship class for me. 

I am going to the Caribbean for The Fun and SUN!  

Patty 

On 11/29/2022 at 12:11 PM, dcyonce said:

Hoping Celebrity does not abandon the traditional cruiser that they built their cruise line on !!

-- Don

Don, IMO Celebrity started moving away from the traditional cruise once the five year period following the transfer from Chandris expired.  Chandris developed/built the excellent traditional cruise experience while RCG and LLP have moved to go cut corners, younger and woke.

Remember the ultra loud atrium DJs rocking through multiple decks trying to attract the youngins several years ago?

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

The windows are closed every night at 11PM (at least they were on this sailing) which would make us very unhappy as we like to sit on the balcony late in the evening.  

While that may have happened to your friend's cabin on your sailing that isn't a fleet wide mandate. We have slept overnight with the IV windows fully open (we prefer the room on the warmer side) and the window remained open in the morning.  

• Like 1

My take is that its less a young/old or traditional/high energy situation as it is a couples vs families situation.  When you look at the new ships for the other major lines they are quite obviously catering to families with their water slides, go kart tracks, etc.  Celebrity has gone in the opposite direction and seems to be attempting to appeal to couples of all ages.  Kind of like a Sandals or Couples resort would do on land.  Thats my take anyway. 

• Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
4 hours ago, C4HCG said:

If people want to think that then that’s their business. Never ceases to amaze me when people who post here tell others what they should think. We happen to love Celebrity, think it’s luxurious and upscale. We would only sail another line if we couldn’t find an appropriate itinerary for a place we wanted to go, e.g. Hawaii. That is our OPINION, please allow us to have one even if it differs from yours.

I want my Grey Poupon mustard.