Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

5 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Wow, to think of all the time and money I invested in law school when clearly the REAL dough is in gambling and mixed martial arts…

Setting a google alert for “Is Frank Fertitta III single?” so that I’m prepared in case Jeremy should ever leave me. 🤣

Carla... you know you would never give up Mr GenX Jeremy).    He is far richer in spirit and soul to have you in his life.

Iain said as a III probably Mafia money.   LOL      I can't even imagine of having such a ship with a private helicopter atop as a crowning cherry.

• Like 3

Night 4 Dinner - Luminae

Amuse Bouche

They had beet root thingy.   I didn't even let Abdule put it on my plate.   I absolutely hate beet root.   I can see my sister cringe as she loves it.

Starter -

I had probably the only perfectly prepared one on the ship according to reviews.  Mine was perfectly cooked and no fat vein at all.

0D08502A-F2D2-4F41-98FF-FC4CE2DF18A7.thumb.jpeg.b260f5b5ef5a8fab580b1c2fa0e06732.jpeg

Iain had the Turkey Escarole Soup and loved it.

33D4CD67-A0FC-4B62-8B75-F7C45360AC60.thumb.jpeg.59a8200198ffc422a507c6e985e3214b.jpeg

For main we both had the Herb Marinated Chicken.   Nicely cooked but there was a single spice that I can't put my finger on that just didn't work for me. 

F084491D-C724-4B80-A8DB-A1DD337E4627.thumb.jpeg.40cacc20ab36cd413c2d610f97b2db00.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Night 4 Dinner - Luminae

Amuse Bouche

They had beet root thingy.   I didn't even let Abdule put it on my plate.   I absolutely hate beet root.   I can see my sister cringe as she loves it.

Starter -

I had probably the only perfectly prepared one on the ship according to reviews.  Mine was perfectly cooked and no fat vein at all.

0D08502A-F2D2-4F41-98FF-FC4CE2DF18A7.thumb.jpeg.b260f5b5ef5a8fab580b1c2fa0e06732.jpeg

Iain had the Turkey Escarole Soup and loved it.

33D4CD67-A0FC-4B62-8B75-F7C45360AC60.thumb.jpeg.59a8200198ffc422a507c6e985e3214b.jpeg

For main we both had the Herb Marinated Chicken.   Nicely cooked but there was a single spice that I can't put my finger on that just didn't work for me. 

F084491D-C724-4B80-A8DB-A1DD337E4627.thumb.jpeg.40cacc20ab36cd413c2d610f97b2db00.jpeg

Jim, Greg had the excellent short rib also, I got the mostly fat version.   My chicken was somewhat dry.  Greg had the NY Strip Steak  that wasn’t steak but slices of roast beef.

We agree night 4 will be a specialty restaurant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sorry to hear of your experience.

We had dinner in Luminae also and told Iain that next week we will book Murano next cruise on night 4.   Definetly not my favorite menu in either Luminae or MDR.  

I also had the beef shortribs and mine were perfect with no fat whatsoever.   When I mentioned to our waiter Abdule,  he said the only thing he didn't like about it was the fat and he would eat around it.  

Iain had the soup and loved it.   

Day 4, I love the Seafood Veloute, have been known to have two bowls. I usually have a hard time deciding between the Seared Black Bass and the Roasted Lamb.  For us it is usually Day 5's menu that we are not fond of.  The Citrus and Chili Braised Short Ribs are not bad but I can take them or leave them. 

However, it sounds like the menu I am seeing in the App for our April Millennium sailing is a day off from the one you are being served. 

12 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Greg had the NY Strip Steak  that wasn’t steak but slices of roast beef.

Any speculation why Celebrity does this? They are two totally different ways of preparing beef and not remotely the same. When I order a steak, I want it to be a steak, not roast beef. Celebrity is literally the only cruiseline that does this. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Any speculation why Celebrity does this? They are two totally different ways of preparing beef and not remotely the same. When I order a steak, I want it to be a steak, not roast beef. Celebrity is literally the only cruiseline that does this. 

Only in Luminae.   I suspect they are trying to present an elevated dish.   I agree they should make it clear on the menu.    I.ve had several NY Strip (loin) prepared this way that I really enjoyed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It has only been 3 nights but so far eaten all dinners there.    We tried to book the Murano first night with the discount but was booked months out.   Joan said she went at there were only 4 tables with guests.    Incredible.

We will probably eat at Murano and possibly Tuscan -  not sure if this cruise or next.   I have to say we are more than please with both service and food in Luminae.

Yes you can order from MDR if you choose.    One night The app said they had a Lamb Chop  and the actually menu had a Lamb Loin.     Iain asked and the waiter said I can get you a nice Rack of Lamb from Main dining room.     I'm sure the Luminae Chef cooked  or at least had it plated on Luminae Dining ware.

We are at Murano first night at 8 pm.  Less than half full. 

1 hour ago, gfkcruiser said:

We are at Murano first night at 8 pm.  Less than half full. 

Same thing on first night at Tuscan Grille at 8:00…few tables occupied. We booked months in advance for the discount paying with OBC.

At early dinner the MDR has been at about 50% or less of capacity. But as Jim posted earlier the ship is at about 58% of capacity.

Edited by Astro Flyer

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Woke to zero visibility but clearing at 8:00

7DF96509-736E-4EFE-BF0B-92333C26350E.thumb.jpeg.3dcba0c4814e3bf0b872bb36d26ca891.jpeg

We’ll be in Mazatlan on Discovery Princess in April 2024 for the total eclipse near noon hopefully without fog & like current conditions (11 AM) which is typical haze after the marine layer burns off with clear skies above. Discovery is scheduled to be in port unlike other ships which are at sea. A guy on the roll call is communicating with an upper management contact in an effort to have our ship at sea like HAL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Last night they had Silent Disco in Retreat go hum

3530952A-D71A-4457-BAB1-B02CFBD7CE6D.thumb.jpeg.8b313f00fae040ba629583b2149bbc1b.jpeg

That seems like a weird fit for silent disco in that room. Looks like it didn't go over well. Although maybe if my hubby and I had enough to drink we would get a kick out of being the only ones in there with the headphones on LOL 

5 hours ago, clyde3 said:

Jim or anyone that's onboard right now. Do they still have a crab shack lunch? In the past it was in the Tuscan Grille sometime during the cruise.

I have not read about it in the Celebrity Today flyer of events nor on the app’s list of activities.

7 hours ago, jelayne said:

Jim, Greg had the excellent short rib also, I got the mostly fat version.   My chicken was somewhat dry.  Greg had the NY Strip Steak  that wasn’t steak but slices of roast beef.

We agree night 4 will be a specialty restaurant.

I better book early.... LOL...

I'm not sure what cut of beef I had for the New York Strip but didn't look like any strip I had seen before.   Not great flavor either. 

7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Day 4, I love the Seafood Veloute, have been known to have two bowls. I usually have a hard time deciding between the Seared Black Bass and the Roasted Lamb.  For us it is usually Day 5's menu that we are not fond of.  The Citrus and Chili Braised Short Ribs are not bad but I can take them or leave them. 

However, it sounds like the menu I am seeing in the App for our April Millennium sailing is a day off from the one you are being served. 

I have to say I have some favorites and some not so favorites but have to agree I'm not starving. 

5 hours ago, BEAV said:

Perhaps they limit capacity based on staffing levels? 🤔🤷‍♂️

Don't think so.   The couple we spoke with I think it was @jelayne.   She said the only time available was 8:30 and Murano was at full staff -  just empty of guests.

Joan let us know more details.  

5 hours ago, clyde3 said:

Jim or anyone that's onboard right now. Do they still have a crab shack lunch? In the past it was in the Tuscan Grille sometime during the cruise.

So far I haven't heard a word about it.     Maybe others on the cruise have seen it. 

I have to admit I've been bad at even opening the daily.

3 hours ago, janbear said:

We were originally going to find a different bar but forgot about it.    At one point there were about 10 up dancing.  

I told Iain.... at least it will be quiet.   LOL      

I also thought it was not suited for Retreat.     Room far too cramped.