Internet capacity on Regent

bluestocking7

On 1/18/2023 at 3:01 PM, bitob said:

On voyager now

Internet awful

LOL sounds like our Voyager experience in 2018 is still the norm!

Personally, I'm OK with that. I'll fire off the odd email, maybe at most browse a couple internet forums or catch up on the news (why would I want to do that nowdays?) while having coffee in the AM but that's it. I've got FTTH Gigabit at home so going back to 1995 dial up again will be a stroll down memory lane haha.

• Like 1

We're currently onboard the Splendor and find the internet speed quite reasonable for our needs.  It's far from the 1Gbps service we have at home, but usable...no worse than any other cruise line.

I've made two Wi-Fi calls on my iPhone 14 Pro while at sea and found quality to be excellent...no difference from a cell call in the US.

53 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

We're currently onboard the Splendor and find the internet speed quite reasonable for our needs.  It's far from the 1Gbps service we have at home, but usable...no worse than any other cruise line.

I've made two Wi-Fi calls on my iPhone 14 Pro while at sea and found quality to be excellent...no difference from a cell call in the US.

I was on RSSC and Regent back to back in last month and RSSC was about 30 times faster. It looks like we may be getting an announcement form NCL soon about Starlink though so that is good news!

11 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I was on RSSC and Regent back to back in last month and RSSC was about 30 times faster. It looks like we may be getting an announcement from NCL soon about Starlink though so that is good news!

I think of RSSC and Regent as the same thing. What is the difference?

26 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I was on RSSC and Regent back to back in last month and RSSC was about 30 times faster. It looks like we may be getting an announcement form NCL soon about Starlink though so that is good news!

I *think* you may have meant RCCL referencing theor VOOM internet. 

There was a notice in the Compass on Splendor last Saturday or Sunday that internet would be down and unavailable from 10pm until 2pm that evening.  However, no further explanation and no noticeable increase in speed.

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

Starlink will not help unless you are with 200 nmi from inhabited land with a Star Link land based terminal.  Elon does not have the new Laser linked satellites in place yet.  Needs his new Super rocket (which has yet to fly) to launch these larger new satellites in the quantities needed.

A side note -- RCL uses a better contractor with more bandwidth and lower latency.  Regent uses MTN/EMCs high orbit satellite network.  Royal uses OG3/SES lower orbit higher bandwidth system.  The actual unburdened speed difference is about 6X faster.

Starlink will make a difference, BUT as those that use the system, the more users you put on a system that has a fixed capacity the slower the system will become.  My speeds on both my home and commercial system have dropped by 1/2 in the last year.  To counter this Starlink has put data caps on users of 1TB per month.  Exceeding the limits gets you a throttling.

40 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Starlink will not help unless you are with 200 nmi from inhabited land with a Star Link land based terminal.  Elon does not have the new Laser linked satellites in place yet.  Needs his new Super rocket (which has yet to fly) to launch these larger new satellites in the quantities needed.

Paul, we are talking about a new marine based Starlink so your 200 miles is not applicable.  Not sure of the capacity of the marine system but, appears multiple antenna on the ships to gain capacity for the many on board.  Time will tell how this new Starlin with work in a marine environment using the same cow orbit constellations.

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Really?

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/09/14/spacex-launches-first-full-batch-of-laser-equipped-starlink-satellites/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

A side note -- RCL uses a better contractor with more bandwidth and lower latency.  Regent uses MTN/EMCs high orbit satellite network.  Royal uses OG3/SES lower orbit higher bandwidth system.  The actual unburdened speed difference is about 6X faster.

Starlink will make a difference, BUT as those that use the system, the more users you put on a system that has a fixed capacity the slower the system will become.  My speeds on both my home and commercial system have dropped by 1/2 in the last year.  To counter this Starlink has put data caps on users of 1TB per month.  Exceeding the limits gets you a throttling.

Edited by Pcardad

42 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

RCL was using Starlink - or at least had them in place on the ship. 

Regent has the capability to run 4x the bandwidth with the current hardware - it would only require contracting for more.

Just now, rallydave said:

That was an interesting article regarding a recent Space X Starlink launch from Vandenburg.

Wondering why you deleted that link.  Completely applicable to this thread???

That link is still there in post #63 - CC would not let me post a link to an article show that Starlink has been in use on RCL since September so I deleted that one.

43 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Yes Really they do not have enough to provide adequate coverage in the maritime environment. 

Typical Elon -- over-boasting and under delivering.  Coverage areas are shown highlighted plus they have similar across Oz and NZ.    They need 1000's more of the Gen 2 satellites.  Most of this maritime coverage is line of sight of the land based terminal

Screenshot 2023-01-26 144720.png

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Yes Really they do not have enough to provide adequate coverage in the maritime environment.  There is a coverage chart floating around, if I find it I will post.  They need 1000's more of the Gen 2 satellites.

I was replying to your quote that said " Elon does not have the new Laser linked satellites in place yet." 

Regent will probably announce soon the addition of Starlink. 

My Starlink has doubled in bandwidth since I first got it about 9 months ago - it was horrible oversold and having to divert resources to support the Ukraine (although a good use) doesn't help.

3 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I was replying to your quote that said " Elon does not have the new Laser linked satellites in place yet." 

Regent will probably announce soon the addition of Starlink. 

My Starlink has doubled in bandwidth since I first got it about 9 months ago - it was horrible oversold and having to divert resources to support the Ukraine (although a good use) doesn't help.

Understand -- I was a beta tester in Florida.  Now my neighbors all have this plus T Mobil 5G home(was a beta for this too) ... Speeds are down.   Just modified the previous post with the Map from their own maritime site.  I should have stated in Quantity needed  🙂 

Note that the vast majority of miles sailed are within those coverage areas...and some are intentionally blacked out (Cuba, etc.). It will get better and if Regent doesn't want to buy more bandwidth maybe this is why they are going to shift to Starlink.

• 1 month later...

While on Explorer recently we were told that the Wi-Fi infrastructure on Explorer would be renewed/enhanced during the dry dock scheduled for May.

The internet manager also confirmed that all Regent ships would be changing to Starlink …,.,…,, but he didn’t share a date.

During our cruise two maintenance technicians visited our suite to “test for the new IT  system” ……,…………. and they weren’t just carrying two cans & a length of string 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 1/26/2023 at 11:59 AM, Pcardad said:

>>If Regent doesn't want to buy more bandwidth maybe this is why they are going to shift to Starlink....

When I was on the Explorer in January, when talking to the IT guy, he was making all kinds of excuses about why Starlink wouldn't necessarily work in certain areas that Regent cruises, yada, yada, yada (and Regent doesn't even have Starlink yet!)

How about a friendly wager?  If Regent has Starlink on *any* of its ships by the end of 2023, I'll buy you a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue.  (If not, I'll take an equivalent Cabernet...)

6 hours ago, rkaratsu said:

When I was on the Explorer in January, when talking to the IT guy, he was making all kinds of excuses about why Starlink wouldn't necessarily work in certain areas that Regent cruises, yada, yada, yada (and Regent doesn't even have Starlink yet!)

How about a friendly wager?  If Regent has Starlink on *any* of its ships by the end of 2023, I'll buy you a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue.  (If not, I'll take an equivalent Cabernet...)

It would not be a fair bet as I know the date...

This is an old topic but I can tell you from my recent cruise on Regent Voyager that WiFi was terrible. In our suite we got useable WiFi and were told to "just go into common areas or stand in the hallway"/ Really, that is the best that is available on an ultra luxury cruise. I spent a lot of time sitting/standing in the hallway. Even the WiFi in the common areas was not good and did not work all the time. This is a mess.