Tips included if you DON’T buy Cheers?

Sabre407

You should definitely buy cheers. The good drinks at alchemy are over $10 each. There are a handful of wines by the glass that are around $14. Coffee bar is included. Bottles of water, gatorade and coconut water are included. It's not hard to hit $60 a day. If you buy it and you feel like you're missing out on value, just have 3 glasses of wine with dinner and then grab another later in the evening and if you get the expensive ones you break even after 4 of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knagl said:

OP should definitely do whatever they want to do. This didn't answer their question at all.

it was already answered but thank you for your input. you've been helpful and i appreciate your kindness.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sabre407 said:

I’m not buying Cheers. Will an automatic gratuity be added to the price of the drink, or do I add a tip to the slip? 

Yes, an 18 percent gratuity is included. However, Carnival now lists this gratuity as a " service charge" and then includes another gratuity line below it, which will cause some/many unsuspecting people to add yet another gratuity because they aren't aware the " service charge" is the tip! Carnival used to list the built in gratuity as such, and then add a line that was "additional gratuity". They really muddied the water on gratuities, which comes across to me as being somewhat deceptive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n6uqqq said:

Yes, an 18 percent gratuity is included. However, Carnival now lists this gratuity as a " service charge" and then includes another gratuity line below it, which will cause some/many unsuspecting people to add yet another gratuity because they aren't aware the " service charge" is the tip! Carnival used to list the built in gratuity as such, and then add a line that was "additional gratuity". They really muddied the water on gratuities, which comes across to me as being somewhat deceptive. 

It's not just Carnival, it is many in the hospitality industry. Service charge and gratuity are used interchangeably. I remember when I first cruised I read the cruise line's FAQ and it said that tipping wasn't necessary. What I missed was the next paragraph that said a service charge would be added daily. The good thing was we were on a 2 night cruise to nowhere so the added expense was manageable but back then 7 days worth for two people would have pinched quite a bit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smears said:

You should definitely buy cheers.

My partner doesn’t drink. Cheers requires both of us to participate. I’m not somebody who has mimosas with breakfast or needs a cocktail with lunch. I definitely should not buy Cheers. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sabre407 said:

My partner doesn’t drink. Cheers requires both of us to participate. I’m not somebody who has mimosas with breakfast or needs a cocktail with lunch. I definitely should not buy Cheers. 

I think you speak for a great many of us.  There's no way I'd want to go through enough drinks each and every day to make Cheers a break even proposition.  Even on the few occasions when I was able to get cheers as part of a promotion I rarely had over three drinks in a day.  If it ever shows up again in a package deal I'll think about it, but definitely not worth it to purchase by itself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sabre407 said:

I’m not buying Cheers. Will an automatic gratuity be added to the price of the drink, or do I add a tip to the slip? 

ANYTHING and I mean anything you purchase on the ship, the gratuity is automatically added to it.

Any tip you give WILL be extra.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, groundloop said:

I think you speak for a great many of us.  There's no way I'd want to go through enough drinks each and every day to make Cheers a break even proposition.  Even on the few occasions when I was able to get cheers as part of a promotion I rarely had over three drinks in a day.  If it ever shows up again in a package deal I'll think about it, but definitely not worth it to purchase by itself.

I would do it at a discount, but the total price for us was $720, or $360 per person. That’s 25 drinks I’d have to consume in six days just to break even. We have three ports where we’ll be off the boat from morning until late noon. The math isn’t mathing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Minus gift shop purchases.

I know people on here tip for some crazy stuff (or at least they say they do - I am reminded of the poster who said she tipped at Guy's to be guaranteed a fresh patty), but tipping the gift shop cashier is a new one.

Edited by mz-s
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Carnival will add their own 18% without Cheers.

According to lore on this forum, adding in an extra buck will cause the bartender to empty the entire bottle in your glass and stop time to get to you first next time.

This actually happened on our MSC cruise lol. There is no slip to sign, no tip expected. I only saw someone tip a bartender twice the whole cruise. Husband tips a buck every drink just because and he was treated like royalty.

1 hour ago, Purvis1231 said:

We were on a cruise a few weeks ago and were not charged in the gift shop. There was a line on the receipt to add a tip. 

Which I think is just part of the onboard point of sale system. No sense having two different systems.

I bought a toothbrush and floss in the funshops, no tip added and no tip line to add one on the Panorama. Same for the cigarettes I bought my aunt. The Panorama did not have any pricing up in the liquor and smokes area so people had to constantly ask for prices, which is kind of inconvenient to the employee and customer. 

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Which I think is just part of the onboard point of sale system. No sense having two different systems.

Right, I understand that. ( should had said there was no tip charge in the gift shop- they charge for every product.) 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 9:33 AM, groundloop said:

It's interesting this time for us.  I normally don't drink enough to make Cheers "worth" it for me/us either.  But I purchased it for our upcoming NYE Magic cruise because we have 4 sea days and it includes all of the other beverages.  I purchased it in May and fully paid for it.  Fast forward to July  when I was laid off from my job and am still not employed.  I am kind of grateful that I don't have to worry about it now...every alcoholic beverage, specialty coffee, energy drink, etc is paid for.  So while I may not "break even" I will enjoy my cruise without the financial worry.

• Like 1