Would you go to Alaska on an Edge Class ship? Should I?

DrKoob

Since Celebrity is putting Edge in Seattle in summer 2024, I wanted to see how people feel about sailing in an "Infinite Verandah" to Alaska? Having been to Alaska 8 times on three different lines (6x on X) one of my favorite things to do is stand on our verandah and take in the glory of nature and then go back in our stateroom to get warm.I have taken some great pics off those verandahs, especially the times we had aft cabins on M-class ships.  Will I still be able to do that with an Infinite Verandah? Or if I open the window, will it turn off the heat and completely cool off my entire room giving me no place to get warm?  

34 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

r if I open the window, will it turn off the heat and completely cool off my entire room giving me no place to get warm?  

I am told that if you close the folding partition, it will not turn off the heat in the cabin.  

3 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I am told that if you close the folding partition, it will not turn off the heat in the cabin.  

Incorrect. The HVAC turns off when the window is down. The bifold doors are like closet doors, they do nothing. The trigger for the HVAC is in the window. The cold will take longer to enter the room when the bifold doors are closed, but the HVAC is off. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, basenji56 said:

No that is not correct.  It is one of many reasons not to take an e class ship to Alaska.  Another is the lack of a forward facing lounge.

There is a huge difference between “We are coming up on the lovely waterfall so get your cameras ready” versus “We just passed a lovely waterfall, I hope you got to see it”

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 2

I was told this but have never verified it.  The "infinite verandas" were designed to reduce drag and save fuel.  But rather than being honest, Celebrity sold them as a cruise "enhancement"--even justifying a higher cruise fare!  Modern marketing at its best.  

• Haha 1

I read somewhere a long time ago that there was an Eco setting on the thermostat that you could disable that would not shut off the AC when the window was open.  I have no personal experience but I'm sure I read that early on in Edge deployment.

Edit:  Maybe this is what I was remembering:

"If you want the cabin at a certain temperature when you return, you may want to turn off the go green (under settings) as it will turn the thermostat up 2 degrees when you leave. It likely also turns off lights after a certain time. Good for the environment, but good to know, if it is on. "

From this post: 

Edited by wrk2cruise

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

I was told this but have never verified it.

It's been verified many, many times by others and myself. I've verified it on all three ships. People want to attribute all these magical things to the bifold doors but as I've said they are nothing more than closet doors meant to give the appearance of a balcony.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I read somewhere a long time ago that there was an Eco setting on the thermostat that you could disable that would not shut off the AC when the window was open.  I have no personal experience but I'm sure I read that early on in Edge deployment.

Edit:  Maybe this is what I was remembering:

"If you want the cabin at a certain temperature when you return, you may want to turn off the go green (under settings) as it will turn the thermostat up 2 degrees when you leave. It likely also turns off lights after a certain time. Good for the environment, but good to know, if it is on. "

From this post: 

As your quote shows it has nothing to do with keeping the HVAC on when the window is open. They will NEVER, EVER allow the HVAC to be on when the window is open. PERIOD. 

My DH would say no IV, ever, but after being on Apex on a relatively cool weather cruise, I think that’s what IVs are best at. You can sit in the chairs and see out as well as little forward and back as well. I thought the chairs were reasonably comfortable. The rail will obstruct many peoples view at least a little, but the same could be said for a balcony rail.

The bigger issue for me is still do you want to see Glacier Bay…

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Count me in as one who thinks IV cabins seem well-suited for cool weather cruises like Alaska. That said, the lack of a forward facing Sky Lounge is a negative. So, like anything else, there are pluses and minuses.

We did the Norwegian Fjords this summer on a different cruise line on a ship that didn't have a forward facing upper deck observation Lounge. We had a balcony where the bed was next to it. It was wonderful staying in bed and watching the amazing scenery go by. When I spotted a waterfall, I would go outside, take a picture, and go back inside. TBH we never really purposely went to up to hang out in the public areas. I preferred being in my own room. Given how we enjoyed the Fjords I have no issues with a IV cabin for an Alaskan cruise. In fact we will be on the Apex, in an IV cabin, in July for an Iceland, Ireland, and Scotland cruise. 

As much as I try to set the record straight with my posts on IV cabins, I truly love them and have no hate for them AT ALL. My only beef is with Celebrity calling them Verandas. It's a different type of cabin; much more than a traditional oceanview, but less than a true veranda/balcony cabin. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

As much as I try to set the record straight with my posts on IV cabins, I truly love them and have no hate for them AT ALL. My only beef is with Celebrity calling them Verandas. It's a different type of cabin; much more than a traditional oceanview, but less than a true veranda/balcony cabin. 

Best oceanview cabins at sea.  Not a veranda.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I couldn't agree more. The cabins look fantastic, particularly for this type of cruise. I have additional beefs besides the nomenclature, one of which is Celebrity's nearly all-in approach to IV cabins on E-class providing few alternatives. My other beef is with those who can't simply like IV cabins for what they are.

None of my beefs are with the cabin itself.

24 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I couldn't agree more. The cabins look fantastic, particularly for this type of cruise. I have additional beefs besides the nomenclature, one of which is Celebrity's nearly all-in approach to IV cabins on E-class providing few alternatives. My other beef is with those who can't simply like IV cabins for what they are.

None of my beefs are with the cabin itself.

I wonder if the structure of the E-Class is so unique that it doesn't allow for more variation in cabin types? I find that hard to believe since there's Sky Suites mixed among the IV cabins. But so far all three E-Class ships have the same mix of cabin types, even though they know they can charge more for a true outside balcony configuration. I wonder if the theories about drag and efficiency are correct,  hence the absence of cabin type mix on the newest builds? 

27 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

. But so far all three E-Class ships have the same mix of cabin types, even though they know they can charge more for a true outside balcony configuration. I wonder if the theories about drag and efficiency are correct,  hence the absence of cabin type mix on the newest builds? 

Many Celebrity cruisers have convinced themselves that the IV is an enhancement.  After all, Celebrity told them it was an enhancement.  

I've sailed Alaska 4 times in an interior so for me the IV is a huge upgrade. I tend to book all different types of staterooms depending on itinerary and what vacay vibe I'm seeking. Some sailings, I opt for a "real" or "fake" balcony and some not. For me Alaska is all about getting out of port and doing some amazing excursions that I can't do here in Ohio so that's where I put my money. The ship and trinket stores don't make any difference to me.

IMO Seattle Itineraries are weak and the sailing is likely more rough but some of Alaska is better than none.

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Many Celebrity cruisers have convinced themselves that the IV is an enhancement.  After all, Celebrity told them it was an enhancement.  

So you have sailed in an IV Cabin? 

We are looking at Alaska cruises and have decided not to use an E class ship.  We will either use one of the other Celebrity ships or use a competitor since we would absolutely want a balcony on this cruise.  We tried the IV and thought it was OK, but not sufficient for Alaska.  

• Like 1