Got to love it when Royal cancels your cruise

GCS2000

Ahh nothing like getting the dreaded cancelled cruise email ya know.

Odyssey cruise to Greece and Italy on 8/28 is cancelled.  This is a serious problem for my wife and daughter as it was the time that she go before starting a new job after graduation.  Everything was all booked and paid for already too including hotels, shuttles, excursions, flights (of course nonrefundable, yippee), and side trip before the cruise in Paris.

And of course there isn't one single cruise on any line anywhere near what we had paid for this one thanks to all the massive price hikes.

Thanks for putting us in a bind Royal!

Edited by GCS2000

7 minutes ago, GCS2000 said:

Ahh nothing like getting the dreaded cancelled cruise email ya know.

Odyssey cruise to Greece and Italy on 8/28 is cancelled.  This is a serious problem for my wife and daughter as it was the time that she go before starting a new job after graduation.  Everything was all booked and paid for already too including hotels, shuttles, excursions, flights (of course nonrefundable, yippee), and side trip before the cruise in Paris.

And of course there isn't one single cruise on any line anywhere near what we had paid for this one thanks to all the massive price hikes.

Thanks for putting us in a bind Royal!

Sucks when bad things happen to good people.  Are they offering any ship change. best of luck.. 

6 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Sucks when bad things happen to good people.  Are they offering any ship change. best of luck.. 

nope just replacement cruise dates is all and $100 OBC.  Supposedly they will give the same rate as what we paid which was like $2800 for the 9 night cruise for 2 people.  Problem is none of those dates work with their schedule.

Hi @GCS2000, wondering if you bought non refundable air with a U.S. carrier, as many have implemented ‘credit’ options if you cannot fly on your original ticket, so your non refundable ticket may be able to be converted to a credit for you to use ?

I thought usually the Charters need to lock in date about year before sailing, but the charters also have to see how well the potential sailing is selling before they commit and sign the ‘contract’.  

22 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Hi @GCS2000, wondering if you bought non refundable air with a U.S. carrier, as many have implemented ‘credit’ options if you cannot fly on your original ticket, so your non refundable ticket may be able to be converted to a credit for you to use ?

I thought usually the Charters need to lock in date about year before sailing, but the charters also have to see how well the potential sailing is selling before they commit and sign the ‘contract’.  

no insurance and the flights are with Delta.  I can get e-credit of course and have looked into.

Issue here is same class of service is about 3X more than what we already had price wise.  If we drop down in service (fine) then we are left with a bunch of credit tied to my wife and daughter and have no other plans (and can't make any) for them to use it up before it expires (end of 2023 but is good on travel for 2024).

With respect to our daughter its a position through school with her professor essentially its already lined up (funding was renewed already and good for several years) and the only thing pending the hiring is her graduating.  She is tracking her professor down today to see if things can be pushed a week to the 9/6 sailing.  Wife cannot do any other dates based on work (even the 6th is pushing it).

We will figure it out I guess.  Just a frustrating thing is all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GCS2000 said:

no insurance and the flights are with Delta.

We will figure it out I guess.  Just a frustrating thing is all.

First, before a letter comes from my keyboard, ...crap....crap...crap. I have been there and done that.

I never insured my trips until something like this happened to me. I had to eat a hard lesson about vacations in general: hard to predict the future.

I insure every trip now but with different amounts and coverage depending on where I cruise and return, combined with who I am cruising with and the complexity of the trip (to be included with the insurance package}. I do not want to turn this into an insurance thread for there is a special part of CC just for that.

I wish I could create a solution to your problem or say something positive except that you are not the only one this has happened to. You are not alone and we all learn hard lessons.

Sorry.

• Like 3

We sailed on Odyssey on Aug 30. We would have preferred to cruise the previous week, but the ship was chartered by this same group. For next August (2023) we booked a Greek Isles/ Croatia B2B cruise on Explorer. It sails from Ravenna Aug 20 and 27. Don’t know if this is a good option for you.

• Like 2

I’m sorry your cruise was canceled! We actually considered that sailing but ended up booking the Greece & Croatia itinerary on Explorer departing from Ravenna on August 27. It’s two days shorter, but we’ve never been to Venice and figure we’ll spend some extra time there. Is that sailing an option for you?

Edited by LisaLisa87
  • Like 3

Ironically they were originally booked on the Explorer cruise.  Once we started getting into the details of booking flights etc the wife was not happy with all the extra transportation required since Ravenna is almost 4 hours from Venice.  She then stumbled on the Odyssey cruise and at the time was only about $550 more than the Explorer cruise that was booked.  It went to more stops and was more enticing to them so the itinerary won and it seemed a like a good $2800 for two in a balcony room.

Daughter says moving to the 6th should be fine but the professor is getting back to her tomorrow so we will just have to wait and see.  Flights are still a bit of an issue but we will just make do.  Everything else can be cancelled/rebooked at at least.

The dates still don't really work for my wife but she works for me at my company so I will just have to pick up the slack while she is gone.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

Did you purchase insurance? Does insurance even cover this? I'm truly sorry.

Yep it does. Private insurance plans do anyway, not sure about the cruise line's insurance plan. They should have bought it. 

They can still make a land trip out of it. It'll cost a lot more though. 

9 hours ago, GCS2000 said:

Ahh nothing like getting the dreaded cancelled cruise email ya know ... And of course there isn't one single cruise on any line anywhere near what we had paid for this one thanks to all the massive price hikes ... 

Nothing but sympathy from me. 

How common is it for Royal to cancel a cruise? 

I ask because our October cruise (my husband's 60th birthday cruise) has been reduced from a 7-day to a 6-day, and it no longer appears on Royal's website.  Here's what I know: 

- Royal says they've pulled it from the website /are not accepting new reservations for this cruise.  They aren't sure what'll happen with it.  That's comforting.

- We really wanted this cruise.  We were excited about the islands, and the price is low.  Now we've lost a day and an island, but we're probably going to keep the reservation.  

- When I asked what compensation they're offering for the reduction in days, the customer service rep seemed not to understand why I minded a day being cut off.  She kept saying, "If the price drops, you'll qualify for a price reduction".  She is either very well trained, or she's been drinking the KoolAid.  

Any thoughts on whether this cruise is likely to happen?  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

I would never spend that kind of money without getting insurance. Once you have invested in air, sea, transfers, etc the cost of insurance seems like such a small price to pay.

Exactly. And it’s even more vital if flights, hotels etc are non-refundable and the trip is a long way in the future. Anything could happen in the next nine months.

There’s always a chance a cruise will be cancelled for any number of reasons. In this case, the bottom line is money talks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

That's why most of the time cancellations come at least 330 days out.

Yeah I was pretty surprised getting notified at this point.  I mean yes the cruise was/is almost 9 months out but still most people have already made arrangements.

Anyway daughter just called and was able to work things out so I have spent a lot of time moving everything around.  Have one hotel left to fix.  Flight situation sucks but it is what it is.  Not sure if I will be able to get the transportation reimbursement from RCCL that they said since my flights are actually less money but only because we downgraded service (only way we could make it work).  I will reach out to them but guessing it will be a fight and most likely end up with nothing.

The plus side to this change is that all of my excursions, beverages, wifi, etc is cheaper for this cruise than it was for the other so we did at least save money there.  It has me wondering if they were even less for the BF sale as well.  Nothing for the previous booking was on sale during any of these times.

Edited by GCS2000
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1