LIVE: Ruby Princess Dec 18-29 Western Caribbean/Mexico

ceilidh1

Thanks,  Can you make calls  or texts between others on board using your cell phone?    (My husband (tall guy, Hank) and I will be on the next trip leaving the 29th out of Galveston also.We are enjoying the posts "C" is sharing. too. No mention yet of WiFi issues (unless I missed them)- slow, fast, how many gadgets can be used. PCL phone folks seem to avoid the issue- not a good sign. Also just found out we needed to get a boarding time. Got 12-12:30. Good enough. Will try to spot you on board.)

On 12/22/2022 at 6:36 PM, ceilidh1 said:

Let me tell you what bothers me about the app and ordering. I have the package so not getting charged for those drinks that don’t materialize, but what if I didn’t? They also get deducted from the 15 drink limit. I don’t get close to the limit, but what if I did.

The same happened to us on Enchanted, and I had the same thoughts. If I were being charged for the missing drinks or was coming close to the 15 drink limit (not likely for me!) it would be a problem. 

1 hour ago, j.beatle said:

Thanks,  Can you make calls  or texts between others on board using your cell phone?    

From my experience, you need to ensure your call/text is WIFI ONLY or it will be charged an exorbitant rate by the cellular company.  The app ‘supposedly’ has a texting function, but it lacks a proper notification of incoming texts and you must refresh the app to check for incoming texts.

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Internet has been fine for social media, cc, etc. it’s slower than land but that’s to be expected. It wouldn’t upload a video and took forever to download an app, but for every day things it works. We have the Plus package which is one device per person - quick and easy to switch between phone and iPad when necessary

DH has T-Mobile and WiFi calling turned on. However, his T-Mobile calls to me generally drop or have too much latency to be efficient. He’s had much better luck using WhatsApp for calls. Texting has been fine. He’s also been able to stream Netflix at times at night, though I’m not certain that’s been possible on this Christmas cruise with more guests onboard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, j.beatle said:

Thanks,  Can you make calls  or texts between others on board using your cell phone?    (My husband (tall guy, Hank) and I will be on the next trip leaving the 29th out of Galveston also.We are enjoying the posts "C" is sharing. too. No mention yet of WiFi issues (unless I missed them)- slow, fast, how many gadgets can be used. PCL phone folks seem to avoid the issue- not a good sign. Also just found out we needed to get a boarding time. Got 12-12:30. Good enough. Will try to spot you on board.)

We have Canadian plans that charge roaming outside of Canada so have them in airplane mode. No problem texting iPhone to iPhone both on ship and to friends/family at home. This morning I took it off airplane mode to text Maya Chan guy (android)- it went through no issue but I was charged 40cents by my provider. Yesterday we used whatsapp to video call the UK and it was fine 

We got off and walked around the port. It’s a nice little area - probably much nicer on a sunny day. Lots of restaurants, bars, shops, pool, and beach. There is a swim with dolphins place right in the port and the Lost Mayan kingdom. There were lots of vendors trying to get you in the stores with their beauty creams, etc. You have the option of walking the long pier or taking a little tram that is complimentary. It was a long and windy walk off so we hopped on the tram when we came back. The restrooms are very clean and it’s a nice area to explore.

5B79A45B-7896-497B-BA21-51D38B1F874B.jpeg

DE8A68D0-55B5-4C5E-973C-71C6EF38BFEF.jpeg

C81CAEDD-3593-4AF2-A514-FB63B89C4773.jpeg

4AE6FD22-7ECF-4EFE-9F10-C17BD09CCB3A.jpeg

54A24F2B-D0FD-436C-8F32-7ED25A9BA5EF.jpeg

A97C56B9-76C6-4962-8C56-9CC439745461.jpeg

708B540D-438D-4FCE-81A0-E5EE6723EEF8.jpeg

825676B2-5A3A-4EDA-A5F6-40935141725A.jpeg

8D8BCAA9-29F4-4D9A-B0C3-A4CEEC2F3DC4.jpeg

D2C2B9F9-B33A-4C62-9F70-CF8CB1EE7B7B.jpeg

• Like 7

On 12/23/2022 at 2:38 PM, memoak said:

We still wear masks on crowded elevators, public restrooms and any area wear you are crammed shoulder to shoulder like tenders 

Probably wise in hindsight for us.  We came home with COVID after our December 10 sailing.  This was our 5th cruise since restart, but first time with COVID for both of us.  It's been very mild for us, but it isn't that way for others I'm sure.  We definitely got it on the ship. More than likely the elevators, as we were almost always crammed in one when we used them, but just a guess. Who really knows.  Thanks again to OP for reveiwing for us!

Edited by LHARTWICK

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

never saw a 'tram' when we were there over Thanksgiving.  Saw some 'pedal carts' ... (bicycles)

This was a train like vehicle (with wheels) pulled by a little cab that detached each end of pier and reattached to other end. Sorry, I realize that sounds really confusing. Basically, it was a long vehicle with bench seats that went from one end of pier to another but instead of turning around, the cab just got detached and drove the opposite end of the tram

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

This was a train like vehicle (with wheels) pulled by a little cab that detached each end of pier and reattached to other end. Sorry, I realize that sounds really confusing. Basically, it was a long vehicle with bench seats that went from one end of pier to another but instead of turning around, the cab just got detached and drove the opposite end of the tram

I found this pic online at https://www.beyondships3.com/costa-maya-cruise-port.html

4796E6EE-4B79-43F3-B8F6-1E66E762E714.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHARTWICK said:

Probably wise in hindsight for us.  We came home with COVID after our December 10 sailing.  This was our 5th cruise since restart, but first time with COVID for both of us.  It's been very mild for us, but it isn't that way for others I'm sure.  We definitely got it on the ship. More than likely the elevators, as we were almost always crammed in one when we used them, but just a guess. Who really knows.  Thanks again to OP for reveiwing for us!

We have cruised 3 times this year caught covid on one   That cruise never felt safe. 2nd part of a b2b where a bunch of people got on after an Alaskan land tour and 3 days later covid exploded. Got off the Ruby a month ago and that one felt very safe. Lots of masking in elevators

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

We like Costa Maya. We're taken maybe 8 cruises that were scheduled to dock there, but at least half were cancelled due to winds. I'm hoping we can get there on our March 2023 cruise, but we'd not be surprised if we get another "bonus sea day".

Doug

Hey Doug,

PCL switched the 3-19 sailing Costa Maya call to Belize, which I am not a fan of.