Customer Service Expectations - Does RCC give out on-board credit for mistakes?

Angie2045

Booked the Icon for 2024 and specifically asked for the Infinite Family Balcony since I was travelling as a family of four. The agent booked me an ocean balcony that can accommodate 3 people. I had to call back to get it sorted - waiting on hold for an hour only for RCC to tell me they wouldn't change the room category unless I paid more. They are not going back through their call log to verify that I actually requested that room and was quoted my rate for that room category. That process will take weeks. 

In the end, it will take a few weeks and a lot of hold time to get exactly what I asked for and paid for. In your experience, does RCC give our on-board credit or other options in situations where they have had a mistake? Or do you just get  "sorry"?  

Do you have the email confirmation when you booked the cruise? That will confirm that you booked a cabin for four. Sorry I don't understand how a cabin for four has become one that will only accommodate three. Perhaps I'm missing something about your post.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Angie2045 said:

Booked the Icon for 2024 and specifically asked for the Infinite Family Balcony since I was travelling as a family of four. The agent booked me an ocean balcony that can accommodate 3 people. I had to call back to get it sorted - waiting on hold for an hour only for RCC to tell me they wouldn't change the room category unless I paid more. They are not going back through their call log to verify that I actually requested that room and was quoted my rate for that room category. That process will take weeks. 

In the end, it will take a few weeks and a lot of hold time to get exactly what I asked for and paid for. In your experience, does RCC give our on-board credit or other options in situations where they have had a mistake? Or do you just get  "sorry"?  

When you booked the room for 4 people, did they ask/get the names and ages of all 4 people? How can they put you in a room that only accomadates three if you gave them the info for all four? 
Was the deposit for 3 or 4 people? You should be able to tell by the amount. 
If they only charged for 3, then yes, you would have to pay more for the 4th... So I would start with the receipt/deposit 
Do you have a receipt? They should have emailed it to you. 

45 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Do you have the email confirmation when you booked the cruise? That will confirm that you booked a cabin for four. Sorry I don't understand how a cabin for four has become one that will only accommodate three. Perhaps I'm missing something about your post.

I am confused too 

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Like 1

I believe on the day you called an Infinite balcony cabin for four would have been priced substantially higher than an OV balcony for three. 
So, due to a customer service agent error, you receive an Infinite balcony for four at the lower price of an OV balcony for three, you will already have received a substantial benefit from the agent’s error.  You would be getting more than you paid for due to the error; I would not think you deserve OBC in addition.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

If they receive a cabin for four at the same price, the fourth person can go in the cabin, too.  Have you had your coffee this morning?

Read the second sentence of the OP real slow. As of now all they have is a cabin for three, and, no, they won’t get a cabin for four for the same price. Of course, there’s likely at least two more sides to this story. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Read the second sentence of the OP real slow. As of now all they have is a cabin for three, and, no, they won’t get a cabin for four for the same price. Of course, there’s likely at least two more sides to this story. 

I don’t need to re-reread.  I had mentioned the three vs four in my other post.  I did not miss it.  

I think the OP is trying to get get the tape reviewed to get the new cabin for the same price…plus they are here asking about OBC.  I do not know if they will succeed in getting the cabin at the same price, but if they do, they are due OBC, too.

14 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I do not know if they will succeed in getting the cabin at the same price, but if they do, they are due OBC, too.

The chances of RCI giving them OBC are even less than getting the cabin for the same price. A lot of things could happen, but based on previous reporting/experiences most posters provide the most likely outcome. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I don’t need to re-reread.  I had mentioned the three vs four in my other post.  I did not miss it.  

I think the OP is trying to get get the tape reviewed to get the new cabin for the same price…plus they are here asking about OBC.  I do not know if they will succeed in getting the cabin at the same price, but if they do, they are due OBC, too.

Oops, I cant’t edit the typo in the above post.  The last line should say “aren’t due OBC, too”

Edited by Starry Eyes

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

They sent me my email confirmation with all four guests included (wrong birthday on one) and with the incorrect room category, but the price was still the same price they had quoted when I booked. The room was for a 3 person ocean balcony, instead of the family balcony that could accommodate 5+. 

8 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

When you booked the room for 4 people, did they ask/get the names and ages of all 4 people? How can they put you in a room that only accomadates three if you gave them the info for all four? 
Was the deposit for 3 or 4 people? You should be able to tell by the amount. 
If they only charged for 3, then yes, you would have to pay more for the 4th... So I would start with the receipt/deposit 
Do you have a receipt? They should have emailed it to you. 

I am confused too 

I specifically asked for the family balcony cabin and was following along with the agent online so I knew exactly how much it should cost (which is what I was charged). They included all guests travelling so they could see we had a party of four. The agent must have accidently put me in the wrong room category (even though we even picked my stateroom number together). So I paid the correct amount for the family balcony. When I called back to get it corrected, they told me the price had increased (within the week) and I would need to pay more. I am not sure what happened, but at the moment they changed my room to what it was supposed to be, but charged me the additional cost of "todays price". If they can confirm I had asked for that room and was quoted for that room when they review the phone recording, they will change it back to my original pricing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

This is why you always confirm what was booked before you hang up the first time

Yeah I guess that's the learning. I was more concerned on proper spelling of names and information. The agent had gotten my daughters name wrong and my husbands birthday wrong so I was focused on those details. I thought my cabin selected was very clear because we even talked about how excited I was for the bunk beds. I guess next time I will go over the email extremely carefully before hanging up. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Angie2045 said:

Yeah I guess that's the learning. I was more concerned on proper spelling of names and information. The agent had gotten my daughters name wrong and my husbands birthday wrong so I was focused on those details. I thought my cabin selected was very clear because we even talked about how excited I was for the bunk beds. I guess next time I will go over the email extremely carefully before hanging up. 

Keep us updated...

When I book a cabin using the Royal Caribbean phone answerers (which is about 50% of the time) we never hang up until the phone answerer sends us an invoice through email, it's never been a problem and they are more than willing to do so.  Then we go through it together and I ask what all the codes on the invoice are.  If the answers aren't acceptable to me, I ask to speak to a supervisor or manager.  

However, trying to make a long story short and to answer your question directly, YES, we've received OBCs/FCC for mistakes and/or services not rendered.  Last May we took an Alaska cruise out of Seattle (big mistake) on the Ovation.  We were Star Class.  On day two, our Genie came down with a injured ankle (I actually believe he had COVID), then the day after that our next Genie came down with an injured knee or ankle (again, I believe it was COVID).  So, for the remainder of the cruise we had to share the last remaining Genie with all the other Star Class cabins and it was her first cruise as a full fledged Genie.  She did well though.  There was a myriad of other issues.  We brought it up, several of the issues, to our cabin steward and within a few hours we got a call from the Customer Service Manager and had a meeting set up with her.   We made it perfectly clear that we weren't looking for any benefit other than advising her of what went on.  She apologized and said that she was going to send something to our cabin as a token of their apology, I actually thought it was going to be a fruit basked or something like that.  We told her that we didn't want it as that wasn't the reason for expressing our concerns.  However, on the last full day of the cruise we got a letter that was very nicely written and it included a 5% Future Cruise Credit.  That was significant as we paid a lot of money for that Star cruise, that 5% paid for all but about $100.00 of our last Balcony cruise on the Independence a few weeks ago.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

When I book a cabin using the Royal Caribbean phone answerers (which is about 50% of the time) we never hang up until the phone answerer sends us an invoice through email, it's never been a problem and they are more than willing to do so.  Then we go through it together and I ask what all the codes on the invoice are.  If the answers aren't acceptable to me, I ask to speak to a supervisor or manager.  

However, trying to make a long story short and to answer your question directly, YES, we've received OBCs/FCC for mistakes and/or services not rendered.  Last May we took an Alaska cruise out of Seattle (big mistake) on the Ovation.  We were Star Class.  On day two, our Genie came down with a injured ankle (I actually believe he had COVID), then the day after that our next Genie came down with an injured knee or ankle (again, I believe it was COVID).  So, for the remainder of the cruise we had to share the last remaining Genie with all the other Star Class cabins and it was her first cruise as a full fledged Genie.  She did well though.  There was a myriad of other issues.  We brought it up, several of the issues, to our cabin steward and within a few hours we got a call from the Customer Service Manager and had a meeting set up with her.   We made it perfectly clear that we weren't looking for any benefit other than advising her of what went on.  She apologized and said that she was going to send something to our cabin as a token of their apology, I actually thought it was going to be a fruit basked or something like that.  We told her that we didn't want it as that wasn't the reason for expressing our concerns.  However, on the last full day of the cruise we got a letter that was very nicely written and it included a 5% Future Cruise Credit.  That was significant as we paid a lot of money for that Star cruise, that 5% paid for all but about $100.00 of our last Balcony cruise on the Independence a few weeks ago.  

Thanks for sharing @Ret MP I wonder if part of the reason for such a generous offer was because you were Star Class? I am not expecting much (or anything at all), but I wondered if they even made an effort to make people happy when issues like this come up. Ill see what happens and provide an update for everyone! 

6 minutes ago, Angie2045 said:

Thanks for sharing @Ret MP I wonder if part of the reason for such a generous offer was because you were Star Class?

Good point.  I don't know the answer to that.  The cruise I was talking about was just after things started to let up from the COVID debacle and there were a lot of other issues that dealt with shortages of this, that, the other thing, staff/crew, things broken and repair parts not available, and venues closed or limited hours of operation.  This was actually the second revenue producing cruise after COVID on the Ovation out of Seattle.  

As  much as I've cruised in my life time, this was the only cruise that had soooooo many issues.  I, believe it or not, am not a complainer.  If I do complain, it's usually low key and between me and the person providing the service with only a few exceptions.  

This post might not help the poster directly, but it is on topic.  I booked 2 cabins with a big box travel agency.  Went to pay online, my cabin was fine, but my kids' cabin was denied payment.  Had to call big box travel agency who had to call Royal.  Booking agent did not note that the kids were right next to us on ship that is why I could not pay for their cabin.

During all of this, I was charged twice for the kids' cabin.  Royal refunded me, but I was shorted $100.  In part because of the fiasco of using big box agency for the first time and the numerous phone calls that I needed to make, I said "keep it Royal". I did not want any more phone calls or trouble.

Just a week ago( 2 weeks before my cruise) I noticed that our cabins now have $100 OBC each. We used to have $50 OBC per cabin.  So I assume they went through their finances and realized that they owed me $100?

During the pandemic when I cancelled a bunch of excursions, they came back to me months later charging me for excursions that they mistakenly refunded twice. So they must look over their finances and rectify when mistakes are made on charges.

This cruise taught me many things.

#1 get a good travel agent who will call Royal and not have you on hold with them! (My pre pandemic travel agent passed away from cancer and boy did I not realize all the work she did for us.)

#2 Read every line, check every charge!  Good job OP in realizing that names and birthdates were wrong.  That would have been terrible if you were denied embarkation because of some snafu like that.

Good luck!