Last Minute Deals (Nabbing a Cheap Cruise)

lostinmusic

I am thinking on playing a game of chicken. Last year I saw the cruise I want to go on price drop from $2,700 family balcony to $700 one month prior to debarkation. I am planning to do that this year as there are 3 cruises I am watching departing the first week of April 2023.  Any and all opinions welcome.  Should I play this game or should I just bit the bullet and pay the cost.

Much stronger demand this year compared to last year.

First week of April runs in to Easter this year, so another strong demand time.

Not saying what to do, just pointing out some information on which to base your decision.

• Like 1

I agree that comparing this year to last year might not be as similar as you think. If you're going to watch one cruise, thinking they are just going to give it away, then I think you're wasting your time. It's better to just be open to the possibility of sailing whatever is there. I am undecided how good the odds may be for watching three.

It depends on how long you are going to wait and if it is a domestic or international departure.  Flights start getting expensive if you get too close to the date.  If you can drive to port and are willing to take a risk why not?  

I wait but only for cruises that are not top priority and I can drive to.  I can drive to Galveston, New Orleans or Mobile and with enough time anywhere on the continental US and have.  

5 hours ago, lostinmusic said:

I am thinking on playing a game of chicken. Last year I saw the cruise I want to go on price drop from $2,700 family balcony to $700 one month prior to debarkation. I am planning to do that this year as there are 3 cruises I am watching departing the first week of April 2023.  Any and all opinions welcome.  Should I play this game or should I just bit the bullet and pay the cost.

Our travel time is completely flexible because we are both retired. So we are in a position to jump on a cruise in short notice if the pricing was really attractive and we wanted a get-away.    If I really wanted a specific itinerary, needed a specific time, and/or an expensive airfare was involved, I would likely book further out and hope any price drop happens before final payment.   

I would think demand is higher for spring cruises.  So to me, that would make it a little more risky.   Just my opinion.   It really depends on your comfort level and what alternative you have if things don't work out.  

If you do not really care whether you go on a cruise or not, and you do not care about choice of accommodations, and you can either drive to the port or do not care if increased flight costs eat up cruise fare savings, it makes sense to wait for the last minute and either cruise inexpensively or stay home. 

On the other hand, you can save even more money by not cruising at all.

There are sites on the WEB that let you monitor the prices of some cruises that you are interested.  They warn you about price changes.  I have never used them so I don't know if they are any good.  Also according to CC rules I don't believe that we can direct you to them.  You will have to do your own research.

DON

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

It depends on how long you are going to wait and if it is a domestic or international departure.  Flights start getting expensive if you get too close to the date.  If you can drive to port and are willing to take a risk why not?  

I wait but only for cruises that are not top priority and I can drive to.  I can drive to Galveston, New Orleans or Mobile and with enough time anywhere on the continental US and have.  

You have driven all the way to Alaska?  😀

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

You have driven all the way to Alaska?  😀

Not Alaska but Dallas to Vancouver and Dallas to Prince Edward Island.  Those were my furthest trips with multiple others into upper US, also Quebec, northern Ontario.  I still have not driven to the Yukon nor Northwest Territories.  Alaska would be done by ferry if I were to do it 

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Not Alaska but Dallas to Vancouver and Dallas to Prince Edward Island.  Those were my furthest trips with multiple others into upper US, also Quebec, northern Ontario.  I still have not driven to the Yukon nor Northwest Territories.  Alaska would be done by ferry if I were to do it 

I was just joking.   But anyway, those are awesome road trips!

7 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Actually driving to AK is a fun trip.  A few years back we drove from Las Vegas to AK; spent a couple of months driving most of the roads in AK including the haul road; took the car ferry back as far as Prince Rupert and then spent a week or so driving back to Vegas.  It was a great road trip.  If I remember correctly we put about 12,000 miles on the trip that summer.

DON

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 1:57 PM, lostinmusic said:

Lightening doesn't usually strike twice.  You were SUPER LUCKY last year, but it's not likely to happen again. Two thoughts -- which one seems most like your thought process? 

- If you WANT this cruise, go ahead and book it -- if you get a drop, wonderful!  If not, you're booked for the cruise you want. 

- If you're HO-HUM about the cruise; that is, if you could take it or leave it, roll the dice and see whether you win.  

• Like 1