Air Mattress?

seagunthera

Does anyone have any experience (positive or negative) with slapping a luggage tag on an air mattress (in a box) and having it delivered to your stateroom along with luggage?  We have a huge balcony and an overnight port stop and are thinking it might be fun to sleep outside (weather permitting).  I have read on here that many drag their cabin mattresses out there but that feels a bit disrespectful of Princess property.  

53 minutes ago, seagunthera said:

Does anyone have any experience (positive or negative) with slapping a luggage tag on an air mattress (in a box) and having it delivered to your stateroom along with luggage?  We have a huge balcony and an overnight port stop and are thinking it might be fun to sleep outside (weather permitting).  I have read on here that many drag their cabin mattresses out there but that feels a bit disrespectful of Princess property.  

Wow.. that seems like a lot - to haul a heavy blow-up mattress for one night.  Anyway, I don't think guests are allowed to sleep on balconies.  I believe I have read this some years back.  Someone else will know for sure I bet.

• Like 2

My son and his wife asked this question while onboard Caribbean Princess a few years ago.  They were told absolutely not!  Princess did not want to take on the responsibility of something happening on the balcony during the night.  They also asked if they could sleep outdoors on loungers on Lido deck.  Absolutely not!  They were in their 30’s and thought it would be a fun adventure, but the folks at Princess were not amused.  However, I’ll bet there are those who just do it without permission.  I would not suggest you try it.

3 hours ago, seagunthera said:

Sure. slap a luggage tag on it.  It will get aboard.  I've slapped a luggage tag on a case of sparkling water several times, no problem.  No one is taking the time to even look at the box, and as far as they are concerned, it may not even be a mattress in the box, it might be wine. 😉  If it is scanned, the people doing the scanning are only looking for dangerous items.  Disclaimer, I haven't done this since Covid.

Like you, I have read here on CC of people sleeping on their balconies.  The overall consensus seems that it is pretty damp, and not as much fun as it sounds.

If you do do it, please come back and let us know how it went.  It is on my "maybe give it a try" list.

Edited by 2 cruises a year
  • Like 1

Even if they did allow it what are you going to do w it when you are not actually lying on it?  You are not allowed to leave anything that might blow away on the balcony.  Are you going to take it into your cabin all blown up?  Are you going to deflate it every time you are not using it?

Think about it.

DON

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Even if they did allow it what are you going to do w it when you are not actually lying on it?  You are not allowed to leave anything that might blow away on the balcony.  Are you going to take it into your cabin all blown up?  Are you going to deflate it every time you are not using it?

Think about it.

DON

Good point, just another reason that it is not as much fun as it sounds.  A lot of trouble.  I can still dream though, can't I?

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Think about it.

DON

Duh, of course I've thought about it. It has built-in inflation/deflation, easy peasy. It'll be stored in one of the many closets that never get used until we want to use it.

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Wow.. that seems like a lot - to haul a heavy blow-up mattress for one night.  Anyway, I don't think guests are allowed to sleep on balconies.  I believe I have read this some years back.  Someone else will know for sure I bet.

I live close to the port so the only real hassle is folding it up into its bag and carrying it off the ship.

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

My son and his wife asked this question while onboard Caribbean Princess a few years ago.  They were told absolutely not!  Princess did not want to take on the responsibility of something happening on the balcony during the night.  They also asked if they could sleep outdoors on loungers on Lido deck.  Absolutely not!  They were in their 30’s and thought it would be a fun adventure, but the folks at Princess were not amused.  However, I’ll bet there are those who just do it without permission.  I would not suggest you try it.

Thanks for sharing their experience!

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

So there's no seeping under the stars anywhere on the ship? 🤔

Seems like it would be hard to enforce if a person wanted to sit in a lounge chair & dozed off. 

On Carnival, you can bet that you'll find several drunks sleeping in the the clam shells.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, seagunthera said:

I live close to the port so the only real hassle is folding it up into its bag and carrying it off the ship.

I was going to say just slap one of those disembarkation tags on it when I realized that luggage is beat up pretty much.  If your cardboard box ended up on the bottom of the cart....  This might also be a consideration for slapping a tag on it for boarding.  When I've had a case of sparkling water carried aboard, I did wrap it up with duct tape.  It had the force holding it together. (duct tape: it has a light side, and a dark side, and it holds the universe together)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I was going to say just slap one of those disembarkation tags on it when I realized that luggage is beat up pretty much.  If your cardboard box ended up on the bottom of the cart....  This might also be a consideration for slapping a tag on it for boarding.  When I've had a case of sparkling water carried aboard, I did wrap it up with duct tape.  It had the force holding it together. (duct tape: it has a light side, and a dark side, and it holds the universe together)

Yeah, I usually bring a case of sparkling Liquid Death (a brand, before anyone on here loses their minds;) and always duck tape the crap outta it. Never had a problem!  I like your idea of having Princess handle it at debarkation and meeting it in the luggage bay but I always carry my own luggage off the ship. The thing only cost me $40 during an Amazon Lightning Deal so I'm not too worried about it making it back in good shape (if at all). 

• Like 1

Memory here:  Back in the early 90's, we took a 14 night Baltic Cruise on Royal Caribbean. Our 15 year old son sailed with us.  There were about a dozen teenagers onboard from different countries and from day 1 became a tightly knit group.  Our son shared our cabin with us but we usually went to bed/sleep before he came back to the cabin as the ship sponsored teen events until midnight. One morning we awoke and found our son had not come back to the room! We were getting ready to go out and look for him when he strolled into the room around 7 AM. Turned out the "group" decided to spend the entire night talking and sleeping on the pool deck on lounge chairs. He said once or twice a crew member would come by and check on them but never said they had to leave. To this day, he still says that was the best cruise he had been on.  

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 5:20 PM, Shelly97060 said:

Silly question… which ship?  If it’s one of the Royal class ships the balcony isn’t very big on most balcony or mini suite cabins.

Several ships from Grand to Royal class. No the balcony isn't very big but long ways it is possible.