Is WiFi cost increasing?

phabric

Tips increased today.

I purchase Elite WiFi separate.  I just booked a 2024 cruise.  Wifif price shows up on the App to purchase.  

Anybody know if they are increasing WiFi prices?  I don't know to purchase now or later?

18 minutes ago, phabric said:

Tips increased today.

I purchase Elite WiFi separate.  I just booked a 2024 cruise.  Wifi price shows up on the App to purchase.  

Anybody know if they are increasing WiFi prices?  I don't know to purchase now or later?

Have you not seen any of the news announcements from Princess and posted in several threads here?  Both MedallionNet and Crew Appreciation have gone up as of today.  Also, Plus and Premier fare packages are increased, partially as a result of the other increases, with some changes in package content.  Perhaps best to read up here and on Princess.com.

Internet is now $15/day for single device and $40/day for 4-devices.  These are pre-cruise prices.  I don't think anyone has reported the new on-board prices - if they are planning on making them higher (perhaps that is another change that would simplify things).  A single day on board used to cost $20/day, but there is also been no mention of that price.  You still get 50% off.  I would still purchase ahead of departure.... unless we hear that prices are the same.

Edited by Steelers36

Don't hold your breath that wifi will work like it should.  Just got off the Royal, purchased the wifi package, had 2 devices only, and the wifi was sporadic.  The second day, no internet, and everyday beyond that we were disconnected several times a day.  Friends just got off the Island Princess. and they paid for internet but it was the same poor service.  Princess reimbursed them for their wifi.

• Like 1

OK...let's think about this for a minute.  Wifi has been basically *terrible* for the past couple of years, now.  Princess *MUST* know this.  Someone at Princess has the idea "Let's go up on the price of WiFi!".  Sounds like fraud to me!  If not fraud then definitely unethical.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

OK...let's think about this for a minute.  Wifi has been basically *terrible* for the past couple of years, now.  Princess *MUST* know this.  Someone at Princess has the idea "Let's go up on the price of WiFi!".  Sounds like fraud to me!  If not fraud then definitely unethical.

Noone is forced to buy wifi ... or drinks ... or pay grats ...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well as long as people continue to purchase the lousy Wi-Fi, Princess will continue their price increases. That alone must tell you something.  

In the mean while the other cruise line are doing something to improve their systems, while Princess just keeps telling people just how great theirs is along with increasing their price. 

Except for the medallion system, Princess always seems to follow the rest of the crowd with everything else.

• Thanks 1

It's kinda nice to cruise the old school way.  Disconnect from the world while on the ship.  Enjoy watching the sea roll by while enjoying a cup of coffee in the morning.  Enjoy talking to people. Going free-style and not obsessing about dining times.  Ignoring the fear of missing out when it comes to production shows and ports.

Come back refreshed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I never buy ship WiFi. I find it way more economical to use the Internet data and hotspot capability of my cell phone. I use Google Fi, because it has the best international coverage of any USA plan. Other folks like T-Mobile. 

This works almost anytime the ship is within sight of land, which is most of the time on my itineraries.

Cost is $10/GB anywhere in the world. I like paying by the GB instead of by the minute. Don't have to rush. No billing surprises ever.

International Roaming, Calling & Data Rates - Google Fi

On 12/14/2022 at 6:26 AM, elliair said:

Don't hold your breath that wifi will work like it should.  Just got off the Royal, purchased the wifi package, had 2 devices only, and the wifi was sporadic.  The second day, no internet, and everyday beyond that we were disconnected several times a day.  Friends just got off the Island Princess. and they paid for internet but it was the same poor service.  Princess reimbursed them for their wifi.

Had about 1.5 to 2 Meg speed on Crown to Hawaii. Much better than on the Ruby a few months ago.

On 12/14/2022 at 9:57 AM, Steelers36 said:

Have you not seen any of the news announcements from Princess and posted in several threads here?  Both MedallionNet and Crew Appreciation have gone up as of today.  Also, Plus and Premier fare packages are increased, partially as a result of the other increases, with some changes in package content.  Perhaps best to read up here and on Princess.com.

Internet is now $15/day for single device and $40/day for 4-devices.  These are pre-cruise prices.  I don't think anyone has reported the new on-board prices - if they are planning on making them higher (perhaps that is another change that would simplify things).  A single day on board used to cost $20/day, but there is also been no mention of that price.  You still get 50% off.  I would still purchase ahead of departure.... unless we hear that prices are the same.

I have had confirmation from my contact that the new MedallionNet pricing applies both pre-cruise and on-board, so we will no longer encounter a higher price after boarding.  Guests can now elect to wait and book on board if having difficulties getting the 50% discount applied in MC App pre-cruise, or if they want to use OBC. 

I did not receive an answer to the single-day cost which is bookable on-board.  I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase from $20/day - perhaps $25, but won't know this until someone advises.  This is very little used no doubt.  If anyone is desperate to know, I can inquire.  Or ask on a live-from thread as the poster may ask the Internet Mgr and get a better answer.

image.jpeg

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I have had confirmation from my contact that the new MedallionNet pricing applies both pre-cruise and on-board, so we will no longer encounter a higher price after boarding.  Guests can now elect to wait and book on board if having difficulties getting the 50% discount applied in MC App pre-cruise, or if they want to use OBC. 

This is great news.  I pre-purchased for my upcoming cruises to beat the price increase but would much rather wait until onboard to use obc.  Not to mention that I am one of the unfortunates whose app thinks I'm blue instead of black so I can't get the loyalty discount ahead of time.