Nepotism rules?

Silver Spectre

26 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Apparently Roberto Martinoli has been bumped up the food chain to the role of special advisor to Royal Caribbean Group and has promoted his wife, Barbara Muckermann to be President and CEO of Silversea.

YES!!  Just received that official announcement.  But, there is no details as to why and how she "earned" and merited this major promotion to the top slot ahead of other potentially deserving operating personnel in the company.  Was it via the "old-fashioned" way?

Nor, mention of her relationship to the former President and CEO.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I doubt that "special advisor" is a promotion.  It sounds like the title they give someone in management who has retired or been replaced but who needs a reason to justify the continued receipt of salary (it sounds better than "severance pay").

• Like 1

I would hope Muckermann’s promotion is due to merit.  She has been pretty responsive over on Facebook even though that is in no way a direct line to her.   That said she obviously monitors the Silversea group and steps in frequently to make comments and sometimes solve issues.  Now she’s CEO that might not happen as much but it has been nice to have a senior manager involved.   

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

I would hope Muckermann’s promotion is due to merit.  She has been pretty responsive over on Facebook even though that is in no way a direct line to her.   That said she obviously monitors the Silversea group and steps in frequently to make comments and sometimes solve issues.  Now she’s CEO that might not happen as much but it has been nice to have a senior manager involved.   

Agree with what you have said, but how long will your post remain here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmmm….didn’t know there was a restriction on naming other social media sites.  My bad.  Maybe hosts can just delete the “not to be mentioned” site but leave the post intact?   Not looking to get my first ever warning after 18 years here.  😲

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

YES!!  Just received that official announcement.  But, there is no details as to why and how she "earned" and merited this major promotion to the top slot ahead of other potentially deserving operating personnel in the company.  Was it via the "old-fashioned" way?

Nor, mention of her relationship to the former President and CEO.  

Surely you are not assuming that since Ms. Muckermann is a female that she could not possibly be suitable or qualified to be promoted to her new role.  That would be sexist in the extreme.  And surely that is not an adjective that you would want attached to yourself!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, mysty said:

Surely you are not assuming that since Ms. Muckermann is a female that she could not possibly be suitable or qualified to be promoted to her new role.  That would be sexist in the extreme.  And surely that is not an adjective that you would want attached to yourself!

The "old-fashioned" way means hard work, dedication, superior knowledge of job, effective leadership, etc.  Right?  Who could think or assume otherwise?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

The "old-fashioned" way means hard work, dedication, superior knowledge of job, effective leadership, etc.  Right?  Who could think or assume otherwise?

I'm not sure if anyone would Terry.  But why did you question her suitability by "But, there is no details as to why and how she "earned" and merited this major promotion to the top slot ahead of other potentially deserving operating personnel in the company."  Does any company justify their choice of a new president and CEO by presenting the details that led them to their choice?  You are suggesting that she jumped the queue by that comment.   Unless you are privy to other deserving operating personnel in the company your comment was baseless.

• Like 6

But Ms. Muckerman was not promoted by a spouse or parent.  Her position had to be chosen by the management of Royal Caribbean, a publicly traded and regulated company.  Notwithstanding that  her spouse probably did recommend her for the job, RCI could have chosen elsewhere.

Unless, of course (and I say this with tongue in cheek), she said "promote me or I'll go to Crystal!" 

Edited by dawntrdr
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

There is not a scrap of evidence she was promoted by her husband or that the promotion was anything other than on merit. The fact that she doesn't participate on this board but does in '' the other place" seems to rile some people. Given the attitudes taken to her here, again by some, I really don't find that surprising. On the move of Martinoli to an advisor role, this to me has the makings of a pre-retirement posting to use his extensive industry knowledge. Looking at his career my guess is that he is near 70. 

• Like 7

Regardless of the evidence, her appointment will always be tainted in some eyes because of the nepotism issue.  And, BTW, this applies equally to the promotion of FDR Jr at Oceania.  His career was almost surely given an early boost by his parentage.  His record would be more credible, IMHO, if he had worked his way up somewhere other than in his father's company.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Fletcher said:

She replied to me personally on Facebook a few weeks ago which I thought was impressive.

If I was a stockholder of Royal Caribbean stock, I would be horrified that a COO (or soon to be CEO) would be spending their valuable time writing to one individual on a social media site.

OTOH, if that speaks to Silversea being such a well-oiled and fine-tuned machine that the COO has plenty of time to devote to individual customer service, well in that case....

(Why do I suspect that's not really the case.  And posting on social media is so much easier than actual operational management.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

If I was a stockholder of Royal Caribbean stock, I would be horrified that a COO (or soon to be CEO) would be spending their valuable time writing to one individual on a social media site.

OTOH, if that speaks to Silversea being such a well-oiled and fine-tuned machine that the COO has plenty of time to devote to individual customer service, well in that case....

(Why do I suspect that's not really the case.  And posting on social media is so much easier than actual operational management.)

Chances are it was staff that responded. Regardless, there’s quit a few CEOs of successful companies that respond every once in a while. Musk is probably the most infamous and probably not a great example but Steve Jobs did it as well although that was before social media so he used email. 

Edited by gcornell

Just now, gcornell said:

Chances are it was staff that responded.

So which is it?  Is it Muckerman or a staffer?

If a staffer, then so much for the "she's involved with customers" BS.  If it's her, tell me that everything is perfect operationally to allow for using time on other things, rather than tending to her knitting.

Can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

Oceania and Regent are getting new presidents January 1, 2023 too. And the new President at Oceania will be Frank Del Rio’s son.  The outgoing presidents will also be special  advisors. 

https://www.nclhltd.com/investors/sec-filings/all-sec-filings/content/0001558370-22-018672/0001558370-22-018672.pdf

• Thanks 1

Well it’s certainly herself on messenger, I’ve had several conversations with her, I also believe she responds herself on the place that shall not be named. I Can’t see why people seem to think it’s inappropriate that a VP of marketing (at that time) would not have some sort of presence on SM in 2022. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Well it’s certainly herself on messenger, I’ve had several conversations with her, I also believe she responds herself on the place that shall not be named. I Can’t see why people seem to think it’s inappropriate that a VP of marketing (at that time) would not have some sort of presence on SM in 2022. 

Having a presence on SM is not an issue, but using that site to make announcements when not doing so via emails or their own FB account or website is IMHO particularly since access to interact is extensively moderated from what you’ve said previously. 

As stated many times, I don’t use FB and know the same applies to others. 

On the subject of promotion, as someone stated, there is no evidence or inside knowledge that knows if her promotion wasn’t a condition of her partners acceptance of the new role, but equally, the reverse is true. If I personally thought she was doing a fantastic job, then I’d probably just think well done. It’s been highlighted numerous times on CC, emails sent out by Mrs Muckerman that were not received well and indeed some which had errors within. I’ve certainly seen some of them. Whether that’s enough to sway people’s thoughts on the matter is a mute point and of course subject to personal opinions which thankfully we are all entitled to.

She is certainly more visible than some of the other Vice CEOs / senior managers who may have been considered, so maybe that assisted if she is being praised by guests.

Do I think she deserves the role and done enough to warrant the promotion? No not particularly for the points mentioned above, but since SS decisions on these matters are nothing to do with me, I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. That said, keeping it in the family, is always going to raise eyebrows and understandably. Had it been the vice CEO promoted I have personally met and spoken to on several occasions, my reaction would have been different. Again, just a personal POV based on interactions on a personal level. Behind the scenes no one here would know.

Anyway, I wish her well in her new role along with that of her successor.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

So which is it?  Is it Muckerman or a staffer?

If a staffer, then so much for the "she's involved with customers" BS.  If it's her, tell me that everything is perfect operationally to allow for using time on other things, rather than tending to her knitting.

Can't have it both ways.

I will respectfully agree to disagree 

• Like 3