Norwegian Dawn

mark316

@mark316I second the post above.  When I am considering a new to me ship or class I search the appropriate forum for posts with the ship name in title and I also read reviews of the ship which are easily linked to at the top of the forum.

FWIW, we loved the Dawn, but it is smaller and has less activities than the "Away/Away+" ships we've grown more fond of recently.

We recently completed a 14-day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Dawn. As noted above, the Dawn is a smaller ship and does not have many of the features that make the newer ships attractive to families. The kids pool in the back of the ship is very outdated. During the officers Q&A, the Captain mentioned that during the next drydock (2024, I think) there were plans to modernize the kids pool and children's facilities. He did not elaborate if that meant they would be updated or removed (like they were with on the Spirit). 

The furnishings, carpets, etc. were all in great shape. Nothing looked worn or tired. The theater shows consisted mainly of singers, comedians, jugglers, magicians and acrobats. There was a larger show called Elements, but don't expect the big Broadway shows you'll find on the newer ships.

We enjoy the smaller NCL ships and would not hesitate booking a cruise on her again!

• Like 2

Splash of Water, 

Generally, we don't book ships that are as old as Dawn.  However, DH really wants to cruise out of Tampa again.  We live much closer to Tampa and it seems we're always traveling to other ports rather than taking advantage of its closeness.  

So I'm going to ask you to look into your crystal ball.  I'm looking at booking during the Easter holiday.  (either April 2 or 9).  Do you think Dawn will attract a lot of children?  .... not a fair question since you were just on her for 13 days and we'll only be on her for 7.  But can you just guess for me?

6 minutes ago, mafig said:

Splash of Water, 

Generally, we don't book ships that are as old as Dawn.  However, DH really wants to cruise out of Tampa again.  We live much closer to Tampa and it seems we're always traveling to other ports rather than taking advantage of its closeness.  

So I'm going to ask you to look into your crystal ball.  I'm looking at booking during the Easter holiday.  (either April 2 or 9).  Do you think Dawn will attract a lot of children?  .... not a fair question since you were just on her for 13 days and we'll only be on her for 7.  But can you just guess for me?

Probably not a lot of school children from Florida since they have spring break in March. Maybe northern schools or late college spring break? But I would think Port Canaveral and the east coast cruise ports would attract more families.

If the prices for each of those weeks seems low and availability high, then it may not be attracting a lot of families.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mark316 said:

Looking at booking the Dawn in June of ‘24. Can anyone tell me why I should stay away from this ship? Can anyone tell me the highlights or why I should? We are considering it because of the ports. Thanks to everyone.

It is a smaller, older ship. A class of ship that we all "grew up" on. It does not have all of the entertainment that the newer, larger ships have and features that make it feel more "old fashion". I am not taking about race tracks, etc. Just different entertainment venues with different live music every night. 

If it was an itinerary we liked (like the British Isle or Baltic), we would sail on the Dawn. If it were to places with other larger ships (like the Caribbean), we would pick a bigger, newer ship. 

We last sailed on the Dawn on a cruise from Boston to Quebec. The small ship worked a lot better in the small Canadian ports up the St. Lawrence. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Our 11 day Greek Isles cruise on the Dawn in October 2022 was excellent. Being a smaller ship we had access to the Greek ports.  The crew was eager to please and very friendly. The food was everything we wanted and we would book this ship again. Our balcony cabin was well maintained. We definitely prefer this size ship...fewer people and very comfortable.

We're booked on the Dawn for June 2023.  The itinerary does not have any sea days at all (Baltics), so any ship will be fine for that.  We have been on the Dawn twice previously but it has been a long time.  We like both the smaller ships and the larger ships for different reasons.  It's not a ship I, personally, would pick for cruising with kids/teens or a less interesting itinerary.

It could be as simple as smaller ship fewer crowds of folks - - -

Ease in boarding ?

Fewer hang-ups complications in conflicting choices dining entertainment excursions ?

But then smaller ship in smaller port perhaps more congestion ?

Tendering (ports) will always be a problem no matter the size of ship.

So many pros & cons - - - - -

chiefmatejrk, after all your posts, indicating you are just as happy in steerage as haven, i didnt think  you'd be upset with no observation deck. im shocked! shocked i say! if no observation lounge, the spinnaker works just as well for us. and if its warm, we sit outside the garden cafe or topsider lounge, have a drink (or 2 or 3) and watch the sea go by

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

chiefmatejrk, after all your posts, indicating you are just as happy in steerage as haven, i didnt think  you'd be upset with no observation deck. im shocked! shocked i say! if no observation lounge, the spinnaker works just as well for us. and if its warm, we sit outside the garden cafe or topsider lounge, have a drink (or 2 or 3) and watch the sea go by

The Spinnaker is an observation lounge, and the Dawn has none.  As you suggest, we've often enjoyed the great outdoors on the Jewel class ships (Pearl).   Your comments are confusing.

ETA: I have no idea if I am just as happy in steerage as I would be in the Haven, because I have never set foot in the Haven.  I enjoy each cruise immensely, and wish the same for others.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

I believe when complawyer said spinnaker he was referring to Topsiders, which is an outdoor bar and makes for great viewing.  We were on the Star (sister ship)  inAugustand spent a good bit of time there.   We saw Elements several times years ago and loved it.  It is worth the time, in my opinion.   We can appreciate the bells and whistles of the big ships, but much prefer the smaller ships.  Jewel class is our favorite but we are okay with Dawn and Star.  We just booked the Dawn for a 6/24 family cruise to the British Isles.

4 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I believe when complawyer said spinnaker he was referring to Topsiders, which is an outdoor bar and makes for great viewing.

I doubt that is what he meant.  He is an experienced cruiser and most of us in that category know that topsiders and spinnaker lounge are two different things.  Jewel class ships have both, which I like.

magnoliablossom : chiefmate is correct, spinnaker lounge and topsiders are 2 different things. spinnaker lounge is inside the ship, topsiders is outside of garden cafe,

please dont presume what i meant. (dont take that statement as being critical or excessively harsh.)

we've been on over 20 cruises with ncl since 2010, some in mini suites (prior to renaming to club suites) and multiple sailings in suite categories), so im aware of the locations

5 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

To further clarify, topsiders and great outdoors are two different venues.  Since you mentioned great viewing, are you referring to great outdoors?  (back of the ship)

yes, i meant great out doors

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, complawyer said:

ok chiefmate, here's or chance to get together on a cruise, what do you think?

Thanks.  Not this time.  Those itineraries sound fantastic, but too far from home for this Cowboy.  You'll generally only find me on cruises sailing from and returning to US ports.😎