Tipping for breakfast?

ddlb

Normally, when ordering the NCL free continental breakfast, I would tip three dollars. Now that the breakfast cost $5.95 plus 20% gratuity will YOU still tip the server?  At first I thought this was not such a great deal but the more I think about it I can get an excellent breakfast without the buffet hassle. My only other question is, does the main person always get charged for this?  I assume this charge covers both people in the cabin?  Well at least now I can have something to spend my $50 OBC on.

These increased service charges NCL keeps adding, along with increased prices for some of the services is really starting to make additional tipping a consideration yes or no.  I always have additionally tipped extra for most everything.  But now NCL is so far into the tipping business that I'm not sure what I'll do now.  I wish we actually knew how much of thee service charges the specific employee actually  gets.  Would sure help me know how much additional I would want to consider.  And this breakfast tip is certainly one to consider.

1 hour ago, ddlb said:

Normally, when ordering the NCL free continental breakfast, I would tip three dollars. Now that the breakfast cost $5.95 plus 20% gratuity will YOU still tip the server?  At first I thought this was not such a great deal but the more I think about it I can get an excellent breakfast without the buffet hassle. My only other question is, does the main person always get charged for this?  I assume this charge covers both people in the cabin?  Well at least now I can have something to spend my $50 OBC on.

We would still tip the delivery person $3-$5. 

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, mitchtech said:

OK. I'm  confused. We were on the Joy in late October and there was no service charge for continental  breakfast. Has this policy changed? We always get  coffee delivered as our wake up call. Now there is a 5.95 charge for that?

As I read the announcement that has not changed. 

OK. I'm  confused. We were on the Joy in late October and there was no service charge for continental  breakfast. Has this policy changed? We always get  coffee delivered as our wake up call. Now there is a 5.95 charge for that?

Yes, but $4.95 plus 20%.

New policy, just started

1 minute ago, vacation44 said:

Yes, but $4.95 plus 20%.

NO!!!!!! $4.95.  As I read it, if you order something that has a fee like specialty juice you pay for the item and they add the 20% to that item. Not 20% to the delivery fee.

5 hours ago, mitchtech said:

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

New policy, just started

NO!!!!!! $4.95.  As I read it, if you order something that has a fee like specialty juice you pay for the item and they add the 20% to that item. Not 20% to the delivery fee.

The hang tag below says in the fine print says a 20% gratuity will be added to the check. 

ED2B6DAA-AE0D-4CEE-9132-0ADC0764C6E2.thumb.jpeg.2c3079787008237f54cc96d1dac24dc7.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, JamesIowa said:

Just reviewed onboard account settlement for breakaway. Breakfast total 5.94 (4.95 + 20%)

Good to know, not how the early info was showing.  So instead of the $2 I would have probably tipped, guess I won't bother with anything additional.  Adding a gratuity to a service charge - that's a big no in my book!

• Like 2

I will continue to tip the delivery person…who BTW is probably NOT the person who plated my breakfast order.  I will assume (I know assume) the 20% will be spread across those who aren’t on the front line to get tips.  I’m okay with this.  If not, there are multiple places I can get coffee and breakfast for free.

11 hours ago, ddlb said:

Now that the breakfast cost $5.95 plus 20% gratuity will YOU still tip the server?

To answer your question. No, I will not tip. But, there was no "still." I pay the Daily Service Charge and tip my butler (DSC doesn't cover the butler). I don't tip additional, except for better than normal service.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, roger001 said:

I wish we actually knew how much of thee service charges the specific employee actually  gets.  Would sure help me know how much additional I would want to consider.  

Service charges such as DSC are used as part of the crew's comp package, not really divvied up per se.  Likewise, it's my understanding that the mandatory tips (bar, restaurant, and presumably this) are split among those in that pool but, based on past threads, I don't think anyone knows that with 100% certainty.  The only tips that service staff might get to keep are the cash that you hand them.  Even then, they're generally pooled in the bars, at least.  

Edited by phillygwm

I would throw down $5 for the tip regardless of gratuity increases. Boss Lady claims I throw too much $$ around when tipping, every other drink order at the Bar, and if served to us sitting pool side, yep, every time, these people IMO, work thier butts off, crazy hours, I'm not sure who gets what, but if I personally hand them some $$, I feel I've done my part......thats just the way I am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

I would throw down $5 for the tip regardless of gratuity increases. Boss Lady claims I throw too much $$ around when tipping, every other drink order at the Bar, and if served to us sitting pool side, yep, every time, these people IMO, work thier butts off, crazy hours, I'm not sure who gets what, but if I personally hand them some $$, I feel I've done my part......thats just the way I am.

We’re already being charged a few hundred dollars in gratuity for the alcohol. I thought this meant gratuities are covered. If the waitstaff isn’t getting that money, then why are we prepaying it?  I’m new to cruising, so please enlighten me. 

5 hours ago, mafruc said:

We’re already being charged a few hundred dollars in gratuity for the alcohol. I thought this meant gratuities are covered. If the waitstaff isn’t getting that money, then why are we prepaying it?  I’m new to cruising, so please enlighten me. 

The question of who gets what, has been debated endlessly on CC, I just tip those who provide service personally, this way I know they are covered.

On 12/18/2022 at 12:22 PM, BirdTravels said:

The hang tag below says in the fine print says a 20% gratuity will be added to the check. 

ED2B6DAA-AE0D-4CEE-9132-0ADC0764C6E2.thumb.jpeg.2c3079787008237f54cc96d1dac24dc7.jpeg

So now when I order I’ll be ordering 3-4 of each item I get in the morning 

I like cereal in the mornings.  So now I’ll get 4 and 4 milks at one order.  If I’m paying the 5.00. Lol.  
4 OJ’s.   
and for sure some of that French toast lol.     
and I’ll still tip a few bucks.    

if they wanna work the system. So can I.  Lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mafruc said:

One of NCL's great secrets.  Nobody knows.  As someone said, has been asked and debated for years on here.  25 cruises later, I'd love to be enlightened.  Most persons just mentally include all the services charges (tips) as part of the overall cruise package price and then tip  cash additionally as they wish.  Just wish NCL would be honest and up front about those service charges and explain exactly how the are used as tips for the crew.