2023 ?? Specialty Dining meal packages going up & Moderno / Teppanyaki price fixed @$59 + 20% added.

mking8288

Just noticed this on our upcoming Getaway cruise next year - wasn't Teppanyaki still $49 p/p + 20% on the Joy this September (didn't have Moderno ... maybe I hit that empty memory bank (blank) Q Texas Smokehouse was $49 p/p + 20% if paid/charged onboard without the dining package and/or add-ons.  Price being shown now for adding 2 meals specialty dining is $118.80 p/p 

That's in line with going with popular land steakhouse restaurant chains, maybe ... but sorry, I don't the values in paying nearly full price for Teppanyaki (okay, that's partially, for the junior chef's "entertaining performance of knife, fork & spatula ".  Haven't looked closely at Cagney's, Le Bistro & other a la carte restaurnat onboard.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit if entrees and starter prices are going up in other a la carte Specialty Restaurants onboard too.  

Feel free to chat, correct the numbers and disagree, etc. and beat the drum or as they often remind, give NCL a thumbs "down"  like in Y.tube  👴   As NCLH stockholders, recognize the other sides and aspect of doing the necessities to keep the ships floating and provisioned.  

NCL 2023 Spec.Dining meal package pricing.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

That's in line with going with popular land steakhouse restaurant chains, maybe ... but sorry, I don't the values in paying nearly full price for Teppanyaki

How many people do you think who are seen eating at these places are paying the advertised price instead of using FAS, the bonus 2 specialty add-on or platinum certificates?  If it is more than 2% I would be shocked.

• Like 2

Teppanyaki might not have the value. My favorite land-based Teppanyaki around here is about $40 for steak+shrimp dinner. But Moderno, Cagney's, LeBistro? I can't think of a land-based comparable restaurant where I can get an appetizer, salad, steak and sides for less than $70. Heck, just the steak is usually $50-$60.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, palpieha said:

But Moderno, Cagney's, LeBistro? I can't think of a land-based comparable restaurant where I can get an appetizer, salad, steak and sides for less than $70. Heck, just the steak is usually $50-$60.

Would you really pay sticker price for NCL specialty dining?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, palpieha said:

Teppanyaki might not have the value. My favorite land-based Teppanyaki around here is about $40 for steak+shrimp dinner. But Moderno, Cagney's, LeBistro? I can't think of a land-based comparable restaurant where I can get an appetizer, salad, steak and sides for less than $70. Heck, just the steak is usually $50-$60.

But you’ve already paid for a meal in your basic cruise fare, so this amount is an additional upcharge !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

But you’ve already paid for a meal in your basic cruise fare, so this amount is an additional upcharge !

Bingo, it's an important point that a few folks overlooked, perhaps not ignoring on purpose.  We started crusing NCL back on the Norwegian Sea, Crown & Dawn (a brand new ship when it homeport in NY in 2003) the nominal upcharge was $10 to $15 for Cagney's and LeBistro.  We fondly remember those days.  

This is also directly, raising the applicable & mandatory add-on gratitudes of 20% ... could it go up to 22% or even 25% in 2023 ??  Maybe, hopefully not soon but later - not going bet against them not being "bump" higher.  

If that club/balcony ("suite") or suite has only 2 adults, and their upcharged meals are either covered and/or they have Platinum/+ status, fine for the typical 4 to 7 or 8 nights cruise - fair enough deal for adding or buying 2 extra meals for passengers #3 (could be a grown teenager or adult children) isn't too bad, not too long ago while you can order from the kid's menu for junior ("no sharing, nah nah nah") seated together.  Heck, one could possibly do better and book a 2nd inside cabin & selectively take those Free-At-Seas bundle and come out ahead gaming the system ... I haven't done the math b/c we are unlikely to add a 3rd adult to share the cabin, cruising NCL.   The add-on extras & sur-charges and up-charges, somewhat annoying but I am going stop short of calling them annoying - not exactly good for filling the cabins with happy campers, IMHO.  

My point in highlighting this, in part as heads up and obviously, heads maybe turning, and saying wow.  For us, perfectly fine to eat a decent and edible meal in the MDR on a given evening, not deal with grocery shopping, cooking, serving, cleaning & washing dishes and trash removal, etc.   

• Like 4

I would like to say that I am never going to pay more than 20% for a "mandatory tip!! I may, on a special occasion, or at the holidays voluntarily go above that, but I do not think it should ever be required. That is just ridiculous.

Also, I do enjoy the two meals I get for being Sapphire, but most of the time I prefer not to have a reservation to worry about. I enjoy the MDR and like to show up when we are ready. Hubby likes certain nights in the buffet.

• Like 1

These specialty dining price increases, both on the menu prices and the package prices are absolutely ridiculous.  I'm a loyal NCL customer (latitudes platinum) and I have a major problem with this change.  It makes the specialty dining price completely unreasonable.  Pay $70 for Teppanyaki? I did a quick search and found an overpriced Hibachi restaurant in Times Square and if I ordered the most expensive app, entree (twin lobster tails), side, and dessert, I came up with a $77 bill.  Isn't specialty dining supposed to take into account the fact you aren't eating in the MDR for that meal (and that cost would be "deducted")?  So basically, they are saying that Teppanyaki has a value of about $95 per person.  No way!!!  This is a deal breaker for me.  It will very likely mean a drastic change in the way people eat on NCL ships, and will overload the MDRs.  So it will be a very bad thing for NCL.  This has to change or my current NCL reservation (Prima next June) will likely be my last NCL cruise.

Thanks MKing for the info.  Seems like the Grinch is being very active lately, for our convenience, of course.

Where we live, the NCL normal food and drink prices are way high to what land based are.  We just added a third room to our Feb. MSC YC trip.  MSC dsc 1/2 of the new NCL Haven dsc, for our convenience, of course.  

Is this also going to increase the fees on the 'free' dining packages?

Edited by dexddd
  • Haha 1

It's almost as if FDR has forgotten that NCL is the mainstream line in NCLH, in competition with Carnival and Royal, rather than the premium line in competition with Seabourn or Silversea.  The prices are getting to insane levels.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Just noticed this on our upcoming Getaway cruise next year - wasn't Teppanyaki still $49 p/p + 20% on the Joy this September (didn't have Moderno ... maybe I hit that empty memory bank (blank) Q Texas Smokehouse was $49 p/p + 20% if paid/charged onboard without the dining package and/or add-ons.  Price being shown now for adding 2 meals specialty dining is $118.80 p/p 

That's in line with going with popular land steakhouse restaurant chains, maybe ... but sorry, I don't the values in paying nearly full price for Teppanyaki (okay, that's partially, for the junior chef's "entertaining performance of knife, fork & spatula ".  Haven't looked closely at Cagney's, Le Bistro & other a la carte restaurnat onboard.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit if entrees and starter prices are going up in other a la carte Specialty Restaurants onboard too.  

Feel free to chat, correct the numbers and disagree, etc. and beat the drum or as they often remind, give NCL a thumbs "down"  like in Y.tube  👴   As NCLH stockholders, recognize the other sides and aspect of doing the necessities to keep the ships floating and provisioned.  

NCL 2023 Spec.Dining meal package pricing.jpg

Yes, you are correct as there is a price increase of $10.   Thank you for posting.    

16 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Would you really pay sticker price for NCL specialty dining?

No, I would not and have never paid sticker price for NCL specialty dining.  However, on our next cruise we are traveling with extended family, and we are helping with the cost for my nephew and his wife.   As they are in an inside cabin, they only get one dining credit while everyone else has two.  So, my husband and I will be paying for their additional dining when we go to Moderno which will now cost us an additional $24. 

i wonder what is going to happen if people no longer book the specially dinning any more due to price increases and the restaurant remains either empty or the number of people that do go there no longer make sense in those number games these ceos and big wigs play with 

i have done Teppanyaki many times on many ships and noticed over the years the entertainment from the chefs that do their thing has went down in quality, its like it lost the wow factor that it used to have before. it  seems like the chef is rushed to do the show and move on

38 minutes ago, disneywackerdh said:

These specialty dining price increases, both on the menu prices and the package prices are absolutely ridiculous.  I'm a loyal NCL customer (latitudes platinum) and I have a major problem with this change.  It makes the specialty dining price completely unreasonable.  Pay $70 for Teppanyaki? I did a quick search and found an overpriced Hibachi restaurant in Times Square and if I ordered the most expensive app, entree (twin lobster tails), side, and dessert, I came up with a $77 bill.  Isn't specialty dining supposed to take into account the fact you aren't eating in the MDR for that meal (and that cost would be "deducted")?  So basically, they are saying that Teppanyaki has a value of about $95 per person.  No way!!!  This is a deal breaker for me.  It will very likely mean a drastic change in the way people eat on NCL ships, and will overload the MDRs.  So it will be a very bad thing for NCL.  This has to change or my current NCL reservation (Prima next June) will likely be my last NCL cruise.

Calculation depends on how you value the included dinner meal you’ve already paid for. I’d guess at least $50 is included in your fare, so $50 + $59 + $12 service charge = $121 per person! Sure seems like a lot for cruise food!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, disneywackerdh said:

This is a deal breaker for me.  It will very likely mean a drastic change in the way people eat on NCL ships, and will overload the MDRs.  So it will be a very bad thing for NCL.

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i wonder what is going to happen if people no longer book the specially dinning any more due to price increases and the restaurant remains either empty or the number of people that do go there no longer make sense in those number games these ceos and big wigs play with

I think you both are missing the fact that almost everybody eating in the specialty restaurants are using either the FAS credits or Platinum (and above) credits.  There are likely a few others that have bought the additional two specialty dining credits at a (somewhat) reduced price.  It may cause a blip in the free venues, but I highly doubt it will be meaningful.  With all the free meals being handed out, it may in fact be that they want a few less folks eating in the specialty restaurants.

• Like 2

Are the specialty dining packages cheaper on the smaller ships, or will the increased prices mentioned above go into effect for orders placed in 2023?

We just took advantage of the SR upgrade offer for additional 2 SR dining credits on our upcoming January Caribbean cruise on the Dawn and the total was $141.60 (or $35.40 per person per dinner including the 20% gratuity charge), which seemed like a pretty fair offer. 

We now have 6 in all for that 11 day cruise - 2 from FAS, 2 from just making Platinum, and 2 from the upgrade we just purchased. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

17 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Bingo, it's an important point that a few folks overlooked, perhaps not ignoring on purpose.  We started crusing NCL back on the Norwegian Sea, Crown & Dawn (a brand new ship when it homeport in NY in 2003) the nominal upcharge was $10 to $15 for Cagney's and LeBistro.  We fondly remember those days.  

18 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

This is exactly why I would never pay for anything above the included Free at Sea dining packages. Paying regular price for a steak at Cagney's, when food is already included somewhere else, is just stupid. Upcharges should be nominal. They shouldn't be exorbitant. 

Specialty dining packages are also way overpriced. I won't purchase those either. If NCL takes away even more specialty dining from my category, through Free at Sea, then I'll just be eating another meal in whatever included restaurant I want.

The only exception are the $5 mozzarella sticks at American Diner. That is a nominal charge as I don't know anywhere on land I can get mozzarella sticks so cheaply. And the milkshake, but not from Coco's! Only American Diner's $5 basic milkshake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

This is exactly why I would never pay for anything above the included Free at Sea dining packages. Paying regular price for a steak at Cagney's, when food is already included somewhere else, is just stupid. Upcharges should be nominal. They shouldn't be exorbitant. 

Specialty dining packages are also way overpriced. I won't purchase those either. If NCL takes away even more specialty dining from my category, through Free at Sea, then I'll just be eating another meal in whatever included restaurant I want.

This.  I think you're speaking for the vast majority here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shof515 said:

i have done Teppanyaki many times on many ships and noticed over the years the entertainment from the chefs that do their thing has went down in quality, its like it lost the wow factor that it used to have before. it  seems like the chef is rushed to do the show and move on

I enjoy the food from Teppanyaki, but it has lost the wow factor for me. as well. I have more of a "been there, done that" feeling about it.

Other than Teppanyaki with the "show" and Moderno with the festival of meats, I never understood how paying extra for specialty dining ever became so popular. If people think it is too expensive, just don't go, or only use the free at sea meals.

On a side note, I am not that excited about Moderno. I don't like getting meat that some one else before me may have breathed all over. Or even worse sneezed on. 

5 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Or even worse sneezed on. 

Really??  I think you're just making this one up for effect.  Granted, I'm not a big fan of Moderno, but it's just because I dipped my toe in one time and everything was well (well, well...) done. (i.e. burnt to a crisp).  My friends here on the forum have convinced me to try it one more time and ask (demand) that I be brought meat that hasn't spent hours over the flame.  I'll report back if/when I get the chance.  😎

• Thanks 1