Music walk chases us away from HAL

IJustWantToGo36

I really appreciate all the comments. We did the Zuiderdam 4 times many years ago and haven't sailed with HAL since but we do have the Rotterdam booked for 7 nights in August going to Norway from Amsterdam and it gives me a good idea how HAL has changed since then. Looks like we will like the changes,

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Same ago demo; 2 HAL cruises this year (our first). 

There were SOME games, but they are 30 mins and in small venues.  Fun, but far from being broadcast as main entertainment (Majority Rules gameshow, Team Pictionary). Main Stage, Lincoln Center plays along to BBC World show. Unique, interesting.  Worth seeing, but not high replay value.  There will be a couple of movies by the pool during the week, but only 1 showing per day at night. If Pinnacle class ship, there is a whole additional Movie Night menu of snacks you can order.  Beware: TV screen by pool only plays a screen saver all day.  

Lots of people around ship commenting how much fun BB King Band would be on Main Stage but nada. You'd think they'd grab a talented keyboard player or guitarist and have them play by the pool or in Ocean Bar during happy hour; nada. The Music Walk performers almost exclusively are between 7-11PM (maybe 11:15 some nights, I am sure someone will berate...I mean correct me soon) in the designated spots; Lincoln Center performances are scattered throughout the day and select evenings because of logistics.  There will never be more than 3 out of 4 of the venues operating a given day. They rotate schedules; Billboard is basically in the same area as Rolling Stone; both can not operate at same time.  Billboard is just two piano players that turn the energy down to a 4. It is not duelling pianos or a request bar. 

Thanks for the tips. We got a great price on Zuiderdam for 5 nights in a suite. So we are going to try it out and I am sure will have a good time. I just see so much potential and it is a little frustrating. Seems like this brand is just riding the previous decades client base and not evolving with the times. That will work for awhile but seems like they would look a little forward. 

32 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

We got a great price on Zuiderdam for 5 nights in a suite

All bets are off; not as many venues or amenities. Let us know how it is. There are some interesting/longer itineraries on that class of ship but I admit extreme hesitancy 

1 hour ago, YXU AC*SE said:

60%?      https://photos.app.goo.gl/2wPQUyseeqrWGSRn6.   hmmm.   Scott.

Exactly. I mean it sticks out some but 60%? No where near that.

25-30 bodies (which looking at my pics was what we saw) gyrating in that space packs it out pretty good unless you like dancing cheek to jowl. You could get more if you did line dancing, a rave, or mosh pit. But there were several couples really cutting a rug, you know the way we would ALL like to be able to dance. 💃🕺

IMG_20221001_132828234.jpg

Edited by fatcat04

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

A mosh pit on HAL! Seattle, are you listening?...........😬

Yeah I got a giggle when typing that too. Hey you never know, might have to go find my flannel. :classic_laugh:

Edited by fatcat04
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Let me see if DW has any photos.  Would have been happy with your band.

They were excellent. I don't think they were too loud as we could really enjoy the vocalists voices and each of the musicians' solos were very distinct. The lead male singer's Marvin Gay covers were divine. The female lead vocal was spot on Tina Turner. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

I love the music walk and is one of the reasons we keep returning to HAL.  I think it is a great idea and I love the different venues.  I missed this type of music when we were on the Discovery Princess in September.  Just off the Koningsdam and we spent every night in at least 2 of the venues, sometimes 3 and the Lincoln Center Stage during the later afternoon.  Sorry it is not for you, but there are quiet parts of the ship you can relax and chat.  I like those too and frequently found myself in the Crow's Nest to relax and unwind with a book or a drink. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Reds4life said:

We are in our 40s and getting ready to go on our first HAL cruise. We have been very confused about why the main stage is not scheduled to be used. We like music but not the so called "intimate" setting of these music walk venues. We see it as a crowded bar. That does not appeal to us. Other lines have the same dueling pianos and other venues with music like the music walk, but they also have a main stage show each evening. Plus, movies by the pool, games shows, etc. We like to do things with our kids in the evening after dinner because it is our time when everyone comes together and we discuss our day and plans for tomorrow and then spend some common time. Most of our days on the ship, we are all scattered about. If the people in the music walk are talented, then why not bring them to the main theater for more people to watch?

The main stage is used.  We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the month of November 2022.  During a 7 day period they had the Step One Dance Team do at least 2 shows and one week 4 shows and there are shows at 7 and 9 pm.  The also had the BBC movies with live music being played and sometimes a movie.  We got to see the new Top Gun movie one night.   During the sea days there were normally 2 EXC presentations and a talk about the upcoming ports.  Agree that on port days the only time the main stage is used is in the evening.

5 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

The main stage is used.  We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the month of November 2022.  During a 7 day period they had the Step One Dance Team do at least 2 shows and one week 4 shows and there are shows at 7 and 9 pm.  The also had the BBC movies with live music being played and sometimes a movie.  We got to see the new Top Gun movie one night.   During the sea days there were normally 2 EXC presentations and a talk about the upcoming ports.  Agree that on port days the only time the main stage is used is in the evening.

That sounds excellent. We are on Zuiderdam next week for 5 days. Hoping they have similar shows. Back to the OP concerns, we have only cruised on Royal Caribbean and MSC multiple times on both, but they have something similar to the music walk on every ship. I am struggling with how this is considered unique to HAL. I have seen the dueling pianos and rock room/bar deal before. Never seen much classical music but MSC does have opera each cruise. I just thought this was typical.

We were on the NS this month. Yes the BB King music was earth shatteringly loud! However, we solved the problem. We took our hearing aids completely out and then the music, which was good, was only slightly painful. Of course when the same area was used for Lincoln Center, the volume was perfect but of course, totally different instruments. Actually, we did the same  for the BBC presentations and two production numbers in the theatre. Never have been able to figure out why the volume is SO loud in the theaters on ALL cruise ships.

Edited by PROCRUISE
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

I really appreciate all the comments. We did the Zuiderdam 4 times many years ago and haven't sailed with HAL since but we do have the Rotterdam booked for 7 nights in August going to Norway from Amsterdam and it gives me a good idea how HAL has changed since then. Looks like we will like the changes,

It feels like a different cruise line.. to the BETTER.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

Sure looks like it to me. I am looking forward to it to see how much it has changed. Of course what sold on it to try it again is the 4 ports in Norway. Bob

It is a new concept. For Holland America. And it works. We have spent over 300 days on Pinnacle class ships. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, I Luv Crusin said:

Where were you?  What deck?

We were in 4067 above the shops on the third floor and above the shops on the 2nd floor.  But, those shops on 2nd floor were across from Lincoln Center Stage and BB Kings.  We usually try to get above the shops but didn't think it would be a problem two floors up from BB Kings.  

17 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

We were on the NS this month. Yes the BB King music was earth shatteringly loud! However, we solved the problem. We took our hearing aids completely out and then the music, which was good, was only slightly painful. Of course when the same area was used for Lincoln Center, the volume was perfect but of course, totally different instruments. Actually, we did the same  for the BBC presentations and two production numbers in the theatre. Never have been able to figure out why the volume is SO loud in the theaters on ALL cruise ships.

The volume for most cruise ship shows is usually around 90- 100 dB  -  Lot's depend on where you sit etc. 

There are apps you can get on your phone to measure this if you are interested.  HERE

Appropriate show volume is subjective, but it has to be loud enough to "fill the room", overcome the sound of dancing footsteps and the sound of the drummer - which is harder to modulate in many cases.    What's too loud for you may be "perfect" for someone else...

• Like 2

On 12/22/2022 at 3:09 AM, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Between the loud  rock band  and incredibly loud blues band

If it's too loud, you're too old.  Oh wait...

I've only been cruising a year, but to me it's quite obvious - old folks who want old HAL should book the old ships as the Pinnacle ships are trying to appeal to a new generation of cruisers.

• Like 2