Christmas Day 2022 and New Year 2023

23 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Beautiful beach.  My pet hate is when the pronunciation is wrong.  ABC has staff throughout Aust.  Surely it is easier enough to check or have it on file.  

It has memories for me. Even a Christmas one. Mum and dad used to take us to this beach back in the 50s.

In 1963, just before third year high school Christmas break after we had finished our Intermediate Certificate exams, a friend whose name I have forgotten, said he had been given a second hand surfboard and to meet him a Redhead beach after school when we (my third year mates and I) could all have a go on it. He said to wear sandshoes because the board deck was slippery - didn't have board wax then and it was an early moulded plastic type, not balsa or fibreglass.

When we got to the beach we found our friend there with the board. There was a small problem with it - the fin had broken off. No problem to a bunch of 14/15 year olds we had a go anyway - not successfully but it planted a seed. Three years later I was working in the CBA at The Entrance and had bought my own board - a huge 9'6" polyester fibreglass with five redwood stringers and it had a fin!

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

It has memories for me. Even a Christmas one. Mum and dad used to take us to this beach back in the 50s.

In 1963, just before third year high school Christmas break after we had finished our Intermediate Certificate exams, a friend whose name I have forgotten, said he had been given a second hand surfboard and to meet him a Redhead beach after school when we (my third year mates and I) could all have a go on it. He said to wear sandshoes because the board deck was slippery - didn't have board wax then and it was an early moulded plastic type, not balsa or fibreglass.

When we got to the beach we found our friend there with the board. There was a small problem with it - the fin had broken off. No problem to a bunch of 14/15 year olds we had a go anyway - not successfully but it planted a seed. Three years later I was working in the CBA at The Entrance and had bought my own board - a huge 9'6" polyester fibreglass with five redwood stringers and it had a fin!

Ohhh the days of 10’ plus boards with multiple fins. Could hardly carry it but could paddle over to Pulbah on it

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Beautiful beach.  My pet hate is when the pronunciation is wrong.  ABC has staff throughout Aust.  Surely it is easier enough to check or have it on file.  

How the ,,,,,, can you mispronounce Redhead? But gee I’ve heard them mispronounce some other names and sometimes I turn the GPS on just to hear it mangle some Suburb or street names.

51 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

just making the best of the best weather here for  long long time and had my first swim in 2 years in our pool  (well 3 so far today actually)  so hope to continue for the rest of the week at least

Not sure where you are located but the weather here in Sydney on Boxing Day is hot but no complaints and have done similar to you - been in and out of pool(s) all day.  Now heading to the beach again for the late afternoon.  I will just  be happy for this weather to continue for the public holiday again tomorrow ☀️

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 1

Hope everyone had a great Christmas & Boxing Day. Just relaxing now as it is just Tracey & I here now. Our sons have just left after Christmas yesterday (with Mum) & the annual leftovers lunch ( after bacon & eggs rolls for brekkie) & watching the cricket as had become our Boxing Day tradition.

Cheers to all

• Like 2

I haven’t seen dad for about a year, we were terrified of taking Covid near him, as he is going down hill ( but he is almost 94)  he is currently in a nursing home and they are missing each other, this is how they sat most of the day

A0A157A1-682C-406C-AA8F-1CEF2470A007.jpeg

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I haven’t seen dad for about a year, we were terrified of taking Covid near him, as he is going down hill ( but he is almost 94)  he is currently in a nursing home and they are missing each other, this is how they sat most of the day

A0A157A1-682C-406C-AA8F-1CEF2470A007.jpeg

Thanks for sharing photo of real love.  Covid causes a hidden sadness with many family members keeping away from their elderly seniors for fear of giving them Covid.  Does your mother live separately?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Hope everyone had a great Christmas & Boxing Day. Just relaxing now as it is just Tracey & I here now. Our sons have just left after Christmas yesterday (with Mum) & the annual leftovers lunch ( after bacon & eggs rolls for brekkie) & watching the cricket as had become our Boxing Day tradition.

Cheers to all

Sounds like a perfect Boxing Day relaxing after family Christmas Celebrations! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks for sharing photo of real love.  Covid causes a hidden sadness with many family members keeping away from their elderly seniors for fear of giving them Covid.  Does your mother live separately?

Currently my oldest brother is living there, but I suspect she won’t be real sorry if he goes back to Darwin. It was only just over a year ago it was just mum and dad, but a few heart issues has him in a nursing home, he is dead keen to go home, the big problem is mum isn’t well enough if he had another fall etc.

Dad was still working a couple of days a week until about 3 or 4 years ago, (someone bought the bottle shop and thought he knew better how to run things so to quote dad “I told him to stick his job where the sun don’t shine”

it was so cute watching them hold hands all day.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Not sure where you are located but the weather here in Sydney on Boxing Day is hot but no complaints and have done similar to you - been in and out of pool(s) all day.  Now heading to the beach again for the late afternoon.  I will just  be happy for this weather to continue for the public holiday again tomorrow ☀️

Southern Highlands but this is the first time we have managed to get the water to 29 degrees which is what I need to get in  If we had a couple of hot days to warm the water a bit we would have 2 days rain which cooled it down again so enjoying this today (and tomorrow)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

How the ,,,,,, can you mispronounce Redhead? But gee I’ve heard them mispronounce some other names and sometimes I turn the GPS on just to hear it mangle some Suburb or street names.

They do. Usually pronounce it as two words Red-head. Locals, like me, say it as one word Red-ed . Subtle eh? But noticeable.

Edited by lyndarra