Help with how to cancel a cruise

Hello,

I think I know the answer, but I wanted to reach out to this group.  We had a flight to Fort Lauderdale today for a cruise tomorrow and surprise, it was cancelled after waiting forever with delay. Had we known it would have been cancelled a few hours earlier we could have driven to Florida (17 hours straight).  

Anyway, I have travel insurance, but do I get internet package and beverage package back if I am a no show? I did not insure that, just the cruise fare. I emailed big box travel agency, but of course it is Christmas and no one is working.  I can't call Royal myself since I had a travel agent book trip.  So is that all I can do?  Tell agent and they call Royal?

Any ideas?  At least this is my home city.  There were a few people who tried to fly down Christmas Eve and THAT flight was also cancelled.  So they tried Saturday and Sunday and no go for them.

Thanks,

5 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I assume no other flight to get you to port on time.   So sorry.

Thank you and nope. There are zero flights to FLL, MCO, TPA, West Palm Beach and Allegiant (Sanford) doesn't fly tomorrow. We considered flying anywhere in the FL area and then driving.  We would have driven from PA if we could have left here by mid afternoon. Thanks Southwest!

15 minutes ago, Max and Ruby said:

Thank you and nope. There are zero flights to FLL, MCO, TPA, West Palm Beach and Allegiant (Sanford) doesn't fly tomorrow. We considered flying anywhere in the FL area and then driving.  We would have driven from PA if we could have left here by mid afternoon. Thanks Southwest!

So sorry.  Flying to NYC tomorrow and have been watching flights.  Son and his family Flying from LAX. Looks like we'll all make it for our 5 days introducing our LA granddaughter to the place her grandparents lived and her father was born.

Happened to my brother in March.  All CP purchases, taxes, port fees & prepaid gratuities refunded to form of payment.  Insurance purchased through RCCL at time of booking paid 90% of cruise fare as an FCC.  Southwest refunded points used for booking plus an additional $250 in vouchers each.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Max and Ruby said:

...  Anyway, I have travel insurance, but do I get internet package and beverage package back if I am a no show? I did not insure that, just the cruise fare. ...

I'm so sorry you will miss your cruise.  You mentioned being a no-show.  Since you have insurance you need to actually CANCEL your cruise to file a claim.  Don't be a no-show.

Your internet and beverage packages AND your port taxes and fees will be refunded by the cruise line.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max and Ruby said:

Hello,

I think I know the answer, but I wanted to reach out to this group.  We had a flight to Fort Lauderdale today for a cruise tomorrow and surprise, it was cancelled after waiting forever with delay. Had we known it would have been cancelled a few hours earlier we could have driven to Florida (17 hours straight).  

Anyway, I have travel insurance, but do I get internet package and beverage package back if I am a no show? I did not insure that, just the cruise fare. I emailed big box travel agency, but of course it is Christmas and no one is working.  I can't call Royal myself since I had a travel agent book trip.  So is that all I can do?  Tell agent and they call Royal?

Any ideas?  At least this is my home city.  There were a few people who tried to fly down Christmas Eve and THAT flight was also cancelled.  So they tried Saturday and Sunday and no go for them.

Thanks,

So,,, remember they there may be a difference between a cancellation and a no-show. You should have called the Royal emergency number to cancel. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

So sorry.  Flying to NYC tomorrow and have been watching flights.  Son and his family Flying from LAX. Looks like we'll all make it for our 5 days introducing our LA granddaughter to the place her grandparents lived and her father was born.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, D4 said:

I'm so sorry you will miss your cruise.  You mentioned being a no-show.  Since you have insurance you need to actually CANCEL your cruise to file a claim.  Don't be a no-show.

Your internet and beverage packages AND your port taxes and fees will be refunded by the cruise line.

My brother did not cancel his cruise, he was a no show. 

I’m in the same situation. Flight was cancelled on Friday and then again today. I cant get thru to Royal by phone or text or email since late afternoon. Anyone know an emergency number. Air travel booked privately not thru cruise line.

Edited by bkiniowa
More information

41 minutes ago, bkiniowa said:

I’m in the same situation. Flight was cancelled on Friday and then again today. I cant get thru to Royal by phone or text or email since late afternoon. Anyone know an emergency number. Air travel booked privately not thru cruise line.

Idk any number sunday this late, and it's a holiday. I doubt you can get thru until tomorrow and might be a wait on the phone. You probably arent the only one who missed their flight. 

Your travel insurance company should have a 24-hour hotline, call your travel insurance company and see if they have a requirement to cancel the cruise before it sails if you are not going to make it to the ship in time.

I looked through the insurance documents from some of my cruises and don't see this listed as a requirement in order to get reimbursed. Maybe it differs by insurance company. Maybe it is different for cruises canceled in advance due to illness or death, vs. cruises with a travel delay. 

5 hours ago, bkiniowa said:

I found this.  I’ve never needed to use it, so no personal experience 

Emergency Travel Team 24*7 (365 days a year)
(800) 256-6649
(305) 539-4107
select option “2”
EmergencyTeam@rccl.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

And it is critical to document the plane flight cancellation. I don’t get much more than a message on my airline app saying flight cancelled and I quickly get a screen grab before it shows rescheduled flights. 

I actually got an email from Allegiant on Friday saying how sorry they were that they cancelled my flight. So we rebooked on Delta for Sunday. And yes that was just messages on the app saying how sorry they were and they didn’t even have any rebooking options for me. In the future I’ll use your screen grab idea. Thanks.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

And it is critical to document the plane flight cancellation. I don’t get much more than a message on my airline app saying flight cancelled and I quickly get a screen grab before it shows rescheduled flights. 

Yes to this, he had screenshots of all three cancelled flights.  OCD that I am, I screenshot schedules from all three airports to show no availability for 2 days AND the news reports from the Boston Globe reporting on the massive cancellations in the region.  Again, he never cancelled the cruise.  TA sent the form he needed to fill out & he got the FCCs in maybe a month - six weeks.

https://coverage.archinsurancesolutions.com/description-of-coverage/ENV4uWuzymezDdYhnOis5PyaXRt0YFcGxfti7BHXyT1394svG6j3bP1qyBgOcnmg5A33

Can’t speak to any individual’s experience with RCCL insurance. I’m just going by what the policy says. You may cancel any time up to departure for reimbursement in FCC.

Others with third-party insurance may not be covered at all unless they purchased a policy with CFAR. Check the list of covered reason for cancellation. 

I am beyond furious.  Don't know if I can mention insurance names.  But I called insurance last night and they said that NO PILOT is NOT a covered reason for my cancelled flight.  Um, excuse me?  How can my flight take off when the pilot who brought the plane to my gate decided "oh, I'm done for that day" and airline can't find another pilot.  Plus with all the cancellations no luck finding another flight.

I am waffling in between extreme anger and crying like a baby. 

Thank goodness I do have another "out". My father in law was supposed to go with us in the cabin next door, but he broke his hip 2 weeks ago.  My insurance stated that his medical injury WOULD be a covered reason.  So the insurance actually suggested I go that route for a refund.  But I need a cancellation from Royal, had no emergency number and big box agency said I have to wait until 9 am today to call and stay on the line to cancel my cruise. Augh. Just augh.

@poocher you said that your brother was a no show and got this back? "All CP purchases, taxes, port fees & prepaid gratuities refunded to form of payment.   Insurance purchased through RCCL at time of booking paid 90% of cruise fare as an FCC.  Southwest refunded points used for booking plus an additional $250 in vouchers each."

Well my insurance wants me to prove "cancelled" trip.  I wonder if your brother got the refunded amounts back to form of payment because he use the Royal Insurance company?  If I can't get through to cancel my cruise today, will I get at least the CP purchase, taxes and port fees back?

I'll be lucky if I get my paid airfare back in a credit from Southwest.  They did NOTHING but refund my points back in April when they cancelled my flight. Thank goodness I did not miss that cruise (double points, solo cruiser). But my travel insurance ( a different company) then did not refund my last minute flight because it was "air traffic control" and that wasn't a covered reason.  Such a scam.

I'm done with this trip ruining my plans. I'm off to my gym and will kick some $ss then call and sit for hours on the phone trying to cancel my cruise before 3pm today (time you'd have to be on the ship ).