KONINGSDAM SUITE CLASS

SALAMANCA2014

Booked December 22, 2022 ailing on the Koningsdam Suite Class Caterogy B 7 day Cruise. Two Double Beds and one couch that converts in a Double Bed.

There are no Suite Privileges or Special Dining Room. The Suite is on the upper deck. On Celebrity all Suite Classes had special dinging rooms and a Private Club.We have two Suites on the Koningsdam and a Veranda on the lower deck that sleeps three and the Cabin has a balcony, slightly smaller and sleeps three. All Cabins are assignrd to the same Dinining Room.

Not sure why you posted this. Do you have questions about suite catergories? HAL applies the term "suite" liberally. Only Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suites have "suite privileges" like access to the Neptune Lounge or a special restaurant (Club Orange on K'dam).

Vista and Signature "Suites" get that name because they're larger than standard verandah cabins. They do get double mariner points, but I don't think there are any other special privileges. I believe Category B is Vista Suite.

6 minutes ago, sue1898 said:

Only Neptune and Pinnacle Suites have the perks you mentioned. That’s all covered on the HAL web site here: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-koningsdam/2.html

Sorry for your disappointment.

Thank you for the information. I didn't know I would have paid the extra amount for a different Suite. So I have a Veranda on a higher deck.  I wouldn't let that happen again on HAL.

13 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Not sure why you posted this. Do you have questions about suite catergories? HAL applies the term "suite" liberally. Only Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suites have "suite privileges" like access to the Neptune Lounge or a special restaurant (Club Orange on K'dam).

Vista and Signature "Suites" get that name because they're larger than standard verandah cabins. They do get double mariner points, but I don't think there are any other special privileges. I believe Category B is Vista Suite.

Yes that was what I was sold a Vista Suite and Double Points. 

42 minutes ago, SALAMANCA2014 said:

Booked December 22, 2022 ailing on the Koningsdam Suite Class Caterogy B 7 day Cruise. Two Double Beds and one couch that converts in a Double Bed.

There are no Suite Privileges or Special Dining Room. The Suite is on the upper deck. On Celebrity all Suite Classes had special dinging rooms and a Private Club.We have two Suites on the Koningsdam and a Veranda on the lower deck that sleeps three and the Cabin has a balcony, slightly smaller and sleeps three. All Cabins are assignrd to the same Dinining Room.

I think the term "suite" is deceptive with this category B cabin class.  Even with the Neptune Suite the perks do not remotely resemble Celebrity Suite perks.

1 minute ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I think the term "suite" is deceptive with this category B cabin class.  Even with the Neptune Suite the perks do not remotely resemble Celebrity Suite perks.

Very deceptive. That why most of my cruises have been on Celebrity. There were a limited amount of cruises out of Southern California during the Christmas Holiday. Carnival, NCL HAL and RCL. Celebrity was no place to be found. I think Princess left a few days earlier.

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I imagine you mean 2023?  Otherwise you are already on the ship...

I believe he is currently on the ship and very disappointed.  Since I have traveled in a Celebrity suite(plus other cabin classes) and also on HAL(various cabin classes Neptune and down) I understand his disappointment.  It is a live and learn situation.

• Thanks 1

This "inappropriate" use of the term "suite" isn't restricted to HAL, unfortunately.

"Suite" shouldn't be used anywhere if the "suite category" includes anything special at all.

To find out that, "Oh, *that* suite - *your* suite* - does NOT include the "suite benefits" is, at best, unfortunate.  Yes, one could/should read the fine print, but especially for newbies some of this can be overwhelming... plus, WHY should someone need to double check if "THIS suite" includes "suite perks"?  Shouldn't the category make that obvious?  Alas, not always.

I have never understood why, on ships, they use "suite" when it... isn't, but there *are* special "suite perks".  Why not call it a "Deluxe Balcony cabin" or a "Special Super Deluxe Jumbo Balcony cabin" or whatever?

To later claim that a "[Name] Suite" isn't a "real suite" is... <insert preferred term>... 😠

We fortunately never got stung by this, so our attitude certainly isn't sour grapes.  It only makes sense.  Would they call a cabin an "ocean view cabin" if there were no view of the ocean?  "Oh, that's just what we call that cabin!" I haven't found that anywhere (yet!??).

</rant>

RM

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

This "inappropriate" use of the term "suite" isn't restricted to HAL, unfortunately.

"Suite" shouldn't be used anywhere if the "suite category" includes anything special at all.

To find out that, "Oh, *that* suite - *your* suite* - does NOT include the "suite benefits" is, at best, unfortunate.  Yes, one could/should read the fine print, but especially for newbies some of this can be overwhelming... plus, WHY should someone need to double check if "THIS suite" includes "suite perks"?  Shouldn't the category make that obvious?  Alas, not always.

I have never understood why, on ships, they use "suite" when it... isn't, but there *are* special "suite perks".  Why not call it a "Deluxe Balcony cabin" or a "Special Super Deluxe Jumbo Balcony cabin" or whatever?

To later claim that a "[Name] Suite" isn't a "real suite" is... <insert preferred term>... 😠

We fortunately never got stung by this, so our attitude certainly isn't sour grapes.  It only makes sense.  Would they call a cabin an "ocean view cabin" if there were no view of the ocean?  "Oh, that's just what we call that cabin!" I haven't found that anywhere (yet!??).

</rant>

RM

Nooo! Not Deluxe! For years, before they changed to vista/signature/neptune suites, they had "superior" and "deluxe." To this day, I can't remember which was the higher grade. 

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Nooo! Not Deluxe! For years, before they changed to vista/signature/neptune suites, they had "superior" and "deluxe." To this day, I can't remember which was the higher grade. 

Oh right... I remember when first traveling overseas (maybe I had overlooked it previously in the USA?), but the question of "Is superior 'better' than deluxe or is it the other way around?" drove me nuts.  And I don't think there was any consistent usage among various providers!  Yes, GRRRRR!

Apologies!

GC

• Haha 1

Your TA should have explained all of this to you before you booked. 

Or, didn't you use a TA? If you are new to cruising, or new to a particular line, it is wise to either use a TA, or do the research as if you have never cruised before.
Assuming all lines use the same terminology, or do things the same way, is a recipe for disappointment. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I believe he is currently on the ship and very disappointed.  Since I have traveled in a Celebrity suite(plus other cabin classes) and also on HAL(various cabin classes Neptune and down) I understand his disappointment.  It is a live and learn situation.

We took the train from Los Angeles to San Diego on December 22, 2022. We arrived in San Diego about 1:30 P.M. We could see the ship from the train station.  A few blocks away probably a 1/2 mile walk. We had to order two Lyft vehicles to get to the port. Yes we are all aboard the current cruise of the HAL Koningsdam. The next time I plan a Cruise I will review the Cabins and Suites on Cruise Critics.  I remember a long time ago we took a cruise on the SS Norway befdore I started counting cruises. I can't remember the name of the original ship before the name was changed to the SS Norways. I know the total amount of cabin on the ships were increased and the sizes of the cabins were decreased.

Edited by SALAMANCA2014
Amended to add.