EDEN Port - New South Wales

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Eden is a nice little town, not far from me, I go there every couple of months, Eden/Merimbula/Pambula.   Limited shorex opportunities there but.

It sure is getting a load of cruise ship visits.

eden-welcome-centre_davidrogersphotography-0936-3.jpg.f0810c272b232c8f6715b0e7d3998dae.jpg

Booking a local guide is essential  if wanting to go further abroad and not using the ships shorex.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Booking a local guide is essential  if wanting to go further abroad and not using the ships shorex.

I should drive down there when the ships are in and offer my services for an Uncle Les Tour, lol. Complimentary for CC members, lol, perhaps a counter lunch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I should drive down there when the ships are in and offer my services for an Uncle Les Tour, lol. Complimentary for CC members, lol, perhaps a counter lunch.

Where would you take them, Les?  You could always offer on the roll call but there aren't many roll calls on cruise critic.

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Where would you take them, Les?  You could always offer on the roll call but there aren't many roll calls on cruise critic.

Around the beaches, Merimbula, Pambula, Markets, Boydtown, lookouts,  a nice morning tea or lunch spot. Call in to Wheelers Oyster Barn. I know the areas well. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Around the beaches, Merimbula, Pambula, Markets, Boydtown, lookouts,  a nice morning tea or lunch spot. Call in to Wheelers Oyster Barn. I know the areas well. 

Sounds like a perfect introduction to the region.  If I ever get to trip to the South again, I'll get you to be my tour guide.  My special memories are seeing a mother and baby whale close to shore.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds like a perfect introduction to the region.  If I ever get to trip to the South again, I'll get you to be my tour guide.  My special memories are seeing a mother and baby whale close to shore.  

Have to see how my health goes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

I’d book that one Uncle Les might even shout the lunch if you are lucky.

8 hours ago, buchhalm said:

I imagine a boardroom meeting where they discuss itineraries.....

"Hey, guys, if have an idea. On the Sydney runs, let's stop in Eden".

"Where the f... is Eden"

"A bit south. No idea really, but yesterday I sneezed, and a booger landed on my map, right on that place"

"Aha. The guys from land excursions will blow their lid. Probably f. all to do there. Let's see if they can get somebody to do some pretend folk dancing. That works pretty much everywhere if you put feathers or buts of fruit on people. Or basket weaving or some such crap handicraft. "

Somewhat opposite. NSW tourism and local councils have pushed hard to get the port to a level to handle cruise ships, and have marketed assertively to the cruise lines for several years.

A nice visitors centre & markets on the wharf, free shuttles into town, a whale museum, nice cafe's and the overpriced ship tour sellers have still found an array of tours to peddle https://www.princess.com/cruise-excursions/eden-australia-excursions?portCode=QDN&portDate=11062023

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 5:14 AM, MMDown Under said:

Agree it would be nice to visit other ports in Queensland, such as Townsville (Magnetic Island) and Gladstone (Heron Island).

Airlie/Shute Harbour is just the hub to the Whitsunday Islands. 

However, you might like to visit Cape Gloucester, Hideaway Bay and Dingo Beach in the Whitsundays on your next visit to Airlie Beach.  Have fresh seafood lunch at Cape Gloucester resort, with sand between your toes, and beautiful water views of Cape Gloucester island.  This is our favourite place in the Whitsundays. We used to holiday at Airlie Beach and from there visited Bowen and Proserpine. 

No sorry I cant agree... we have stopped at Gladstone on Holland America.  Nothing to do there it is worse than Eden.

Why dont they go to Cooktown it has so much history around Cook's Voyage with Banks.

8 minutes ago, highriding said:

No sorry I cant agree... we have stopped at Gladstone on Holland America.  Nothing to do there it is worse than Eden.

Why dont they go to Cooktown it has so much history around Cook's Voyage with Banks.

Cooktown was dropped from itineraries because many (maybe most) scheduled visits has to be cancelled because of heavy seas or strong winds.

On 12/29/2022 at 5:26 PM, arxcards said:

Somewhat opposite. NSW tourism and local councils have pushed hard to get the port to a level to handle cruise ships, and have marketed assertively to the cruise lines for several years.

A nice visitors centre & markets on the wharf, free shuttles into town, a whale museum, nice cafe's and the overpriced ship tour sellers have still found an array of tours to peddle https://www.princess.com/cruise-excursions/eden-australia-excursions?portCode=QDN&portDate=11062023

Definitely what is needed is some entrepreneurial individuals to offer some better alternatives or better still drop it off the cruise ship's itineraries.  Give us cruisers more time in New Zealand, or Tasmania or Melbourne!

44 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Cooktown was dropped from itineraries because many (maybe most) scheduled visits has to be cancelled because of heavy seas or strong winds.

Year ago we were in Cooktown on a 4WD tour from Port Douglas.

I convinced a bunch of Yanks that the Cooktown Hotel (pub) was the very hotel where Captain Cook stayed when he first came to Australia.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, highriding said:

Definitely what is needed is some entrepreneurial individuals to offer some better alternatives or better still drop it off the cruise ship's itineraries.  Give us cruisers more time in New Zealand, or Tasmania or Melbourne!

There are plenty of cruises that don't call at Eden. Vote with your feet.

• Like 1