Canadian Passport Application times

Sugar67

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I just figure we weren’t getting them back

I wonder now they are caught up issuing new ones,  they have the  time to return the old ones 

My timing was similar to yours. However, I got both my new passport and the old one on January 5. (I mailed in the application on December 13th I think. My passport was processed in Richmond BC.)

• 2 weeks later...

Our passports don't expire until January 2024 but we're going on a cruise in September and the passport must be valid for six months after the cruise.  Since we're cruising in May, we need our old passports for that trip.  I tried to make an appointment at the Passport Office at the Scarborough Town Centre office for our return and there are NO appointments available between now and June.  Was fortunate to get an appointment for June 5th at Gerrard Square.  

• 2 weeks later...

@Senga, I'm in the same situation - need my passport for travel this summer, but it expires in October and we're booked on a cruise in November.

I am really hesitant to send in the current (valid) passport before we get back from our trip over the summer, especially since all the Federal public servants are holding strike votes right now!!

@dawnvip  The strike threat does add another level of concern.  Hope you aren’t travelling anywhere this summer you need the 6 month validity for since your passport expires in October!  Glad I got an appointment for June.  Now just have to keep my fingers crossed that the strike doesn’t happen or is over by then.  🤞🏻

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Senga said:

@dawnvip  The strike threat does add another level of concern.  Hope you aren’t travelling anywhere this summer you need the 6 month validity for since your passport expires in October!  Glad I got an appointment for June.  Now just have to keep my fingers crossed that the strike doesn’t happen or is over by then.  🤞🏻

In Cobourg we just walked into a Service Canada location , no waiting, they filed everything for the passport and took your money 

• Like 1

Travelling to the UK, so no 6 month validity requirement (whew!)

Service Canad may take the passport application and money, but it is still Passport Canada that does the processing and issuing of. If any of those orgs go on strike, then backlogs will occur again :classic_huh:

@Ex-Airbalancer how long did it take to receive your new passport?

18 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

Travelling to the UK, so no 6 month validity requirement (whew!)

Service Canad may take the passport application and money, but it is still Passport Canada that does the processing and issuing of. If any of those orgs go on strike, then backlogs will occur again :classic_huh:

@Ex-Airbalancer how long did it take to receive your new passport?

From post 4 , was at service Canada Dec19, postman dropped it off Jan 5 

• Like 1

I just did this Monday past (2 days prior to strike) - dropped off form, photos and old passport at Service Canada.  I'm happy my application is now in the system even though it's likely just sitting there not being processed.  Hopefully this means my application will be processed fairly quickly post strike and that I've avoided the high demand surge that will surely happen then (depending on the length of the strike).  Not traveling until late September so I'm hopeful all will be in order in time for my cruise.

We booked an appointment on 5th April at Service Canada in Chilliwack, BC for passport renewal.  Received new passports in the mail yesterday, April 20th.  Considering the Easter holiday the turn-around was very quick.  Very happy we got them in the queue early enough to receive them back before the strike.  

• Like 3

I had a similar situation to EchoIsland.  My appointment with a Service Canada office in the suburbs was on Apr 4th.  Attempted delivery of the new passport was exactly two weeks later on the 18th.  There was a mixup and it was taken to the wrong post office so three days later when I went to pick it up, it wasn't there.  It arrived about half an hour later from the incorrect post office to the correct one. I was sure it was the old passport which I had requested back but it was the new one!  I still would like the old one back, as a souvenir more than anything, but I can wait for that.  Does anyone recall if it comes by snail mail (since it's deactivated) or does it come by registered mail?

26 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I had a similar situation to EchoIsland.  My appointment with a Service Canada office in the suburbs was on Apr 4th.  Attempted delivery of the new passport was exactly two weeks later on the 18th.  There was a mixup and it was taken to the wrong post office so three days later when I went to pick it up, it wasn't there.  It arrived about half an hour later from the incorrect post office to the correct one. I was sure it was the old passport which I had requested back but it was the new one!  I still would like the old one back, as a souvenir more than anything, but I can wait for that.  Does anyone recall if it comes by snail mail (since it's deactivated) or does it come by registered mail?

My old passport arrived 3 months after the new one. I had to sign for it

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 11:37 AM, Yowman said:

I just did this Monday past (2 days prior to strike) - dropped off form, photos and old passport at Service Canada.  I'm happy my application is now in the system even though it's likely just sitting there not being processed.  Hopefully this means my application will be processed fairly quickly post strike and that I've avoided the high demand surge that will surely happen then (depending on the length of the strike).  Not traveling until late September so I'm hopeful all will be in order in time for my cruise.

My new passport arrived yesterday, well ahead of the pre-strike estimate of May 15 and despite 8 days of strike.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just renewed my passport last week. Went to the office in London on Friday, May 12, I made no appointment and was in and out in 1.25 hours. I had the new passport, old style unfortunately, in hand on Friday May 19. I only paid the regular fee, no express request. 

Edited by oceancrusin

3 minutes ago, oceancrusin said:

I just renewed my passport last week. Went to the office in London on Friday May 12, no appointment, was in and out in 1.25 hours. I had the new passport, old one unfortunately, in hand on Friday May 19. I only paid the regular fee, no express request. 

I bet that quick turn around wouldn’t make the news 

• Like 1

No of course it wouldn't, it's only fun to publicize the bad. I work for the Public Service, not Passport Canada, so I know how bad it can be. It was quite a surprise at how quick the turnaround was. Especially considering they said it wouldn't even be sent out until May 29.

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted my passport renewal at Service Canada on 29 March. I received it 13 days later (not expedited). Passport processed in Gatineau. I have not received my old passport back even though I requested it.  Hearing that someone got their old one back months later gives me hope I may still get it back.  My husband submitted his yesterday at Service Canada. I hope his is as quick as mine was. 

36 minutes ago, Grayce said:

I submitted my passport renewal at Service Canada on 29 March. I received it 13 days later (not expedited). Passport processed in Gatineau. I have not received my old passport back even though I requested it.  Hearing that someone got their old one back months later gives me hope I may still get it back.  My husband submitted his yesterday at Service Canada. I hope his is as quick as mine was. 

I submitted my application mid April.  New passport arrived quickly despite the strike.  Still have not received my old one back.  

• Like 1