Canadian Passport Application times

Sugar67

On 6/3/2023 at 5:06 PM, Yowman said:

I submitted my application mid April.  New passport arrived quickly despite the strike.  Still have not received my old one back. 

I finally got my old passport back last week, June 6.  Took just over 2 months.

We had an appointment last Monday for our passports and were told it would be '5 weeks or sooner'.  My husbands arrived TODAY!  Our friend mailed hers in mid-May and got it yesterday.

• Like 1

My husband submitted his passport at Service Canada on Friday 2 June. He received it yesterday, 13 June. Only took 11 days. It was not an expediated passport. He was told it would take 15 business days, we were surprised to receive it so quickly.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sebas030 said:

I had an appointment on june 9th at a Service Canada office ( not passport office ) to renew my passport.

Received it on june 30th.

Still the old version.

It great you don’t need to go to a passport office anymore 

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It great you don’t need to go to a passport office anymore 

I did mine by mail. I didn't need to go anywhere except my local post office to mail it, and again to pick up the new and old passports because I wasn't home when they delivered them. Even over Christmas/New Year's it took less than 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I did mine by mail. I didn't need to go anywhere except my local post office to mail it, and again to pick up the new and old passports because I wasn't home when they delivered them. Even over Christmas/New Year's it took less than 3 weeks.

Service Canada is closer than the post office 🤣

Last month I went to the passport office and applied for a renewal, got the new one shipped within 3 days. It was insanely fast I couldn't believe it. They were great to mark my upcoming trip as well to make sure I had it with plenty of time to spare.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Hamilton Passport Office at 700 Queenston Rd on July 11th to renew my passport, no appointment, and from the time getting my queue ticket to the time I left was only 20 minutes. Old passport was received on the 13th and the new passport on 14th. I honestly think this was the fastest turn around I've ever experienced.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Darn.  I didn’t even know that there was a new version being issued!  Those are nice.  Regretting getting a 10 year one now.  Sorta.  lol

On no!  We will be divided into those that have the new passport and those that don't.

We still have a number of years left on ours so we will have to suffer with the old one for a while longer. 

The only thing that might get us renewing earlier is if we have enough pages left for our booked travel before the current one expires.

• 1 month later...

A few things to report of my recent passport renewal:

-zero appointments available at any office in BC in the next 30 days, so I'm prepared to wait.

- spent 2.5 hours in line-up at passport office in Surrey to be told I would not be given a number because they could not process any more that day before closing at 4 PM (I reached the front of line at 10:50 AM)

- next morning I went to a smaller (hoping to be quieter) Service Canada office at 8 AM (half hour before opening) to find a line-up outside of about 50 people. Took 2 hours to get to front of line, get a "number" and another 2 hours to actually see the agent for renewal. I clocked the time with an agent at about 15 min per person to renew passport (so I had a good idea how long it would take for my number to be called!)

- the "check the status of your passport" website is a joke. Even though I have a file number and all required personal info, the site is actually a request for status update - which takes up to 10 DAYS for a response. My estimated date of arrival is 30 days after submission.

- you cannot renew a passport that has more than 6 months remaining unless lost/stolen/out of pages for a visa

- new passports have issues with curling/warping, especially in humid environments which some countries have an issue with, and may not accept, so be warned and keep new passports in a ziploc bag and between two heavy books when not in use!

Well it seems my patience and persistence has paid off - passport delivered today!! 😁

The passport was issued one week after my application and took a week to arrive (including the long weekend). 

It is the "old style" passport though, so I wonder if they've stopped issuing new style or just using up last of the old ones?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

Well it seems my patience and persistence has paid off - passport delivered today!! 😁

The passport was issued one week after my application and took a week to arrive (including the long weekend). 

It is the "old style" passport though, so I wonder if they've stopped issuing new style or just using up last of the old ones?

With the issues with the new ones curling I’m happy I got an old one that will last me 10 years.

• Like 1

Went to the Service Canada location in Newmarket back on Aug 21. Got there just before opening and only a handful of people in front of me. Got in and out in under 30 min.

Was told that it would take 25 days to process and if I needed it quicker I'd have to go up to Barrie. Passport just showed up today and was left in my mailbox. No signature required.

I got the old version so no worries about the cover curling up. I had planned on using a clear passport cover to try and control the curling without trapping moisture.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dawnvip said:

I saw somewhere that they were pausing the new one until they get the cover issue worked out.

I personally don't care the design, but would. not want a wonky cover regardless of the design.

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I saw somewhere that they were pausing the new one until they get the cover issue worked out.

Received my (renewal) passport last week, and it's the old-school one.  After my booked appointment at the Service Canada passport office,  I was happy that it arrived by mail in 10 business days. 

Edited by lots-of-km2