Hotels in Seattle for sightseeing before cruise.

jkhage

Cruising to Alaska from Seattle.  Will be staying in Seattle for 2 days before we depart and would like to sightsee, 2 adults in our 60's and 2 thirty year olds that are able bodied and able to walk.  Would like a nice hotel but not too terribly expensive.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we have never visited Seattle before.  Thank you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  There is a board here called North American Homeports, and within that is West Coast Departures.  Lots of advice there for hotels.  Take some time to explore all the forums on the main boards page.  There are lots of places for info here.  EM

10 hours ago, jkhage said:

Cruising to Alaska from Seattle.  Will be staying in Seattle for 2 days before we depart and would like to sightsee, 2 adults in our 60's and 2 thirty year olds that are able bodied and able to walk.  Would like a nice hotel but not too terribly expensive.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we have never visited Seattle before.  Thank you!

You are not going to be able to walk to the port from any hotel in Seattle.  Look for a hotel that has cruise transportation. Taxis are easily available ( make sure it is a sanctioned taxi...look for a meter and ask the rate before you get in).  Ridshare to port is very easy as well.  I would suggest staying near the Space Needle.  Do a hop on hop off tour.  Make sure the young ones do the Underground Tour in Pioneer Square ( very iffy part of town at night..so do it before dark).  You can use the Lite Rail to get to meany areas of Seattle.  Pike Place Market is a must to see.  Very touristy and crowded, but you can grab a nice bouquet of flowers for your cabin at a very inexpensive price.  I once stayed at the Paramount, it was a nice hotel from the 30's, close to a metro stop.  And DONT FORGET BINOCULARS for your cruise.  You will probably see whales, eagles, seals, and many waterfalls.

44 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

You are not going to be able to walk to the port from any hotel in Seattle.

We stayed at the Edgewater, literally right next door to Pier 66. Hotel staff put our bags on a luggage cart and walked us to baggage drop. It's not inexpensive but we found it to be a good base for exploring the waterfront and other Seattle sights.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

We stayed at the Edgewater, literally right next door to Pier 66. Hotel staff put our bags on a luggage cart and walked us to baggage drop. It's not inexpensive but we found it to be a good base for exploring the waterfront and other Seattle sights.

This works for NCL/Oceania cruises. Pier 91, serving other cruise lines, is 2 miles from the Edgewater.

Edited by JDincalif

Thank you for your information.  I booked the Warwick Hotel today and I hope I made a good decision.  Sometimes I hate being the decision maker when going on vacation. There is so much information to read.  If anyone has any feedback on this hotel, I would appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks again!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jkhage said:

Thank you for your information.  I booked the Warwick Hotel today and I hope I made a good decision.  Sometimes I hate being the decision maker when going on vacation. There is so much information to read.  If anyone has any feedback on this hotel, I would appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks again!

I'm cruising in July on NCL, so Pier 66 and have been looking at hotels the last few days. I've been to Seattle before, it's such a beautiful, fun, foodie city.  

I haven't stayed at The Warwick but I looked at reviews on Yelp and they were just OK, so you might want to keep looking. I would look on Hotels.com and it will give you a list of options with prices and then you can go to the hotels website to check for better prices. Hopefully someone who's stayed at The Warwick will chime in.

I narrowed mine down to two, The Paramount Hotel which I've stayed at before, is wonderful and is an easy walk to Pike Place Market and the Monorail for The Space Needle. My other choice is The PaliHotel which is very close to Pike Place Market. I'm leaning towards that one only because while I'm traveling on the cruise with family, I'll be in Seattle the day before by myself most likely, so I'm a little leery of walking around alone.

Seattle hotels in the summer are going to be on the expensive side, my two choices are a little over $300 per night. It is what it is.

Good Luck on your search!

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Tukwila.  Used their free airport shuttle to get to the hotel.  Used their shuttle to get to restaurants within a 5 mile radius.  Shuttle again over to the light link rail station.  Back in 2017 it was $99 a night.  We found it very accommodating.

The light link rail station took us downtown and we walked to the lake front, Pikes market and shuttled over to the Space Needle.  I was 59 and DH was 60.  It's doable.    

Just booked the Moore Hotel downtown Seattle today for 1 night stay Sept 14th prior to taking the train to Vancouver on the 15th for our Princess alaska cruise. Previous stay in Seattle in Pioneer Square area hotel this time over $300 for the 1 night so went looking. Found this Moore hotel for $200 instead for the 1 night. This Moore hotel although it says its old got 8 out of 10 stars on Tripadvisor so for just a 1 night stay will keep my fingers crossed. 

Definitely pack a GOOD pair of binoculars. You will not regret it.

As for the umbrella, Alaska can be very rainy, but you may not want to take up packing space with it. 

Check with your cruise line to see if they provide umbrellas in the room. Both of our Alaskan cruises on Holland had one in our room closet, but since we packed rain gear, we never used the umbrella.

In Seattle, contrary to its reputation, most July and August days are not rainy. And if it rains, it will only be light rain for part of the day. Of course, weather is unpredictable, but know that carrying an umbrella definitely marks you as a tourist!

On 1/8/2023 at 11:45 AM, Morebeer said:

Just booked the Moore Hotel downtown Seattle today for 1 night stay Sept 14th...

You may not be bothered by the potential heat being from Scottsdale but the Moore has no air conditioning. For most it means keeping the windows open at night and the Moore is also a concert venue and can get a bit noisy after events, and just general downtown street noise. We broke a record last September with a temp of 92F.

On 12/30/2022 at 7:09 PM, jkhage said:

The Warwick is an upscale property.  You'll be fine.  I'm pretty sure that the Warwick is in or on the edge of a neighborhood called Belltown.  My wife and I, when we were younger, used to hang out there quite a bit when we visited Seattle.

There are some good dining options nearby.  Near 4th and Virginia you'll find the Dahlia Bakery.  Great place to pick up coffee and pastries in the morning, not sure if they have a full breakfast menu.  I also like Serious Pie which is on Virginia going southwest.  Same block as Dahlia Bakery.  Top Pot Doughnuts is near 5th and Blanchard, again a short walk, and has better doughnuts than Portland's Voodoo Donut, if you have a frame of reference for that.  Lola, located in the Hotel Andra, also has a good reputation.