New $9.95 + 18% grat for room service

Elros

The new charge is higher than RCI unless RCI raises their RS charge which is currently $7.95 plus the 18% gratuity. The other thing that I don’t like is the smaller martini glasses on X. RCI had the standard glasses and we actually found that RCI had better cocktails and bars than we experienced on the Solstice. Again, RCI may make a change also but right now they haven’t. I know that the cruise lines need cash but there will be no going back once things are back to normal “if that happens”…

14 hours ago, mtnlvr53 said:

I think they just added it: it is showing up on the app for our sailing.

Shouldn't they honor the no fee if you booked under no fee.  I'm sure in the fine print there is something that states they can, but it's a matter of should.  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, miched said:

This is from the app for the Beyond sailing March 2023.   

$4.95 for  for late night between 11p and 5 a for inside thru CC categroies

AQ and suites there is not charge 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

D6AC46C3-465D-406E-BAE9-D2BDD2730379.png

E09EA02A-45E3-4C6C-BB90-EA680A466959.png

Well, as usual, there is no consistency...lol...here is the same from my upcoming January Equinox cruise...note both have the 4.95 late night charge...(but no 9.95 delivery charge as yet...)

RS-Reg.png

RS-Aqua.png

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Late night charge even for suites?  I understand butlers generally are not working at night.  In the morning, butlers usually deliver and set up the breakfast in suites.

Based on the App, it looks that way. We have a suite on the first leg, and we’re in Aqua on the second leg. Of course, the App may display general room service info only. 

Edited by Silkroad

Yep - charge is showing up for my April Reflection sailing - not happy about that.  Hubby only drinks coffee in the morning and that's still free, but I like to get my eggs & toast and eat on the balcony.  We're in Concierge (and we had RS breakfast every morning for my October cruise on the Summit in Concierge) it was something I looked forward to.  I'm not likely to pay $11/day just for 2 fried eggs and toast, I'll just go up to the buffet and get it myself.

But if I do, there won't be an extra tip - which was usually $3-5 for the person who delivered it.

Maybe the Concierge should deliver and cut the fee to Concierge class as well.  I wonder what's going to be next to go for-fee.  Very disappointing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

The only silver lining I can see with this charge is that you won’t see nearly as many dirty room service trays sitting in the hallways.  😂 

I must admit, though, I never ordered room service very often but since the restart back in 2021, it has been a great option of not eating in crowded venues.  Other than continental breakfast, I will probably go get my own food and take it back to our balcony.  

However, the rooms that you see them outside of there will be a lot more of them with a lot more uneaten food.  I fear that if people are paying over $11 and feel it's an "extra" fee, they will order more and waste more.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Julma said:

However, the rooms that you see them outside of there will be a lot more of them with a lot more uneaten food.  I fear that if people are paying over $11 and feel it's an "extra" fee, they will order more and waste more.  

Or people who would have ordered room service will now just carry more stuff down from the buffet and leave dishes all over, instead of room service knowing they delivered to a cabin and therefore expecting to go back and pick them up.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Jobeth66 said:

Or people who would have ordered room service will now just carry more stuff down from the buffet and leave dishes all over, instead of room service knowing they delivered to a cabin and therefore expecting to go back and pick them up.

Hadn't thought of that!  I had thought of that with turndown being eliminated.  We will usually have a snack and cocktail while getting ready for dinner and count on room attendant taking that away before we return for the night.  Mind you, I'm not opposed to cleaning up after myself, however there is no place to put these items.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miched said:

This is from the app for the Beyond sailing March 2023.   

$4.95 for  for late night between 11p and 5 a for inside thru CC categroies

AQ and suites there is not charge 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

D6AC46C3-465D-406E-BAE9-D2BDD2730379.png

E09EA02A-45E3-4C6C-BB90-EA680A466959.png

It’s clear that each ship’s room service option is displayed differently. For my Apex b2b July/August 2023, I see only “Room Service “ displayed on the App. There are no Aqua or Retreat options below.

5B63FBB8-24D0-497A-8073-07555E286425.jpeg

Edited by Silkroad

Yep, they definitely have a problem with the info they are putting out. This is on their website today. 
I told them that they are hurting their brand by pulling essentially a “bait and switch”.  Of course the person that was in the phone “can’t do anything about that” but can only relay their decisionA511D6A9-868E-4B0A-B26E-52B245233B17.thumb.jpeg.ab81be989ad161f469aaeeb0021f84d9.jpeg 

5 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Have to go now, the grocery delivery van is out front delivering our weekly order. Since Covid you will not catch Mrs. Dawg in a grocery store ever again. The fresh vegetables and fruit service delivers on Wednesdays. We gladly pay a delivery fee for those services. 🙂

You could not pay my DW to have her fresh vegetables and fruit delivered.   Even during the height of COVID she would put on her latex gloves, N95 mask and have me drive her to the grocery store.  Her family's business was fresh produce and fruit and she has to pick her own, and I have seen her take minutes to select individual items.  But hey, she takes damn good care of me and I love her for it. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

You could not pay my DW to have her fresh vegetables and fruit delivered.   Even during the height of COVID she would put on her latex gloves, N95 mask and have me drive her to the grocery store.  Her family's business was fresh produce and fruit and she has to pick her own, and I have seen her take minutes to select individual items.  But hey, she takes damn good care of me and I love her for it. 

Mrs. Dawg runs the biggest division for her firm so she is comfortable delegating work to well paid professionals. She treats things like grocery shopping the same way. We had to 'fire' a few delivery services during Covid but the ones she finally found are really good quality. The fruit and veggie folks are also well paid. One delivery guys drives a Caddy and the other one drives a Range Rover. But hey, she takes damn good care of them and I love her for it. 😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DirtyDawg said:

Mrs. Dawg runs the biggest division for her firm so she is comfortable delegating work to well paid professionals. She treats things like grocery shopping the same way. We had to 'fire' a few delivery services during Covid but the ones she finally found are really good quality. The fruit and veggie folks are also well paid. One delivery guys drives a Caddy and the other one drives a Range Rover. But hey, she takes damn good care of them and I love her for it. 😊

I do not see any problem with that and would probably do the same.

I have learned that in addition to the two words key to a successful and happy marriage, "Yes Dear", that there is a right way, and wrong way, and my wife's way.  Of the three only the latter is correct.  So, I stay out of her way as best I can.  That seems to work best for me.  (we celebrated our 50th anniversary last month) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I do not see any problem with that and would probably do the same.

I have learned that in addition to the two words key to a successful and happy marriage, "Yes Dear", that there is a right way, and wrong way, and my wife's way.  Of the three only the latter is correct.  So, I stay out of her way as best I can.  That seems to work best for me.  (we celebrated our 50th anniversary last month) 

Congats on 50! 🏆

• Thanks 1

Let me try to understand. Our Butler will deliver coffee, toast and fruit at breakfast for no additional charge but if I add a soft boiled egg, it will cost $9.95 + 18%. Hmmm. The tray is coming to the room already. Where is the justification for the extra charge? I guess looking seriously at Oceania is a pretty good idea. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

Let me try to understand. Our Butler will deliver coffee, toast and fruit at breakfast for no additional charge but if I add a soft boiled egg, it will cost $9.95 + 18%. Hmmm. The tray is coming to the room already. Where is the justification for the extra charge? I guess looking seriously at Oceania is a pretty good idea. 

I highly doubt room service charges will apply to suites.

As for the justification for the extra charge for standard rooms, the purpose of the charge is likely to try to decrease the number of people ordering room service (as some will skip room service altogether if what they want isn't free), not try to justify it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

yes, that is the way that I see it as well.  But also consider, you could for the same $9.95 + 18% get multiple orders of eggs (cooked anyway you want them), bacon, ham, sausage links, corn beef hash, and any other items.  Limiting it to one soft boiled egg is your choice.  The fee is for the service, not a single item. 

2 minutes ago, prmssk said:

You are correct.  There is no charge for room service in suites. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, prmssk said:

As for the justification for the extra charge for standard rooms, the purpose of the charge is likely to try to decrease the number of people ordering room service (as some will skip room service altogether if what they want isn't free), not try to justify it.

I think you are correct.  
when they first returned to service after the pause, I think they wanted people to order room service.  Now that things are somewhat back to normal, and shor staffed to boot,  I think they would prefer people got their own food.  

I do believe suites will continue to get their room service at no charge .. one of the perks for booking a suite.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

Look at O but read the reviews there. Not that great.

When I booked my 3 future cruises there was no charge for room service. Now I just checked my April transatlantic and there it is!   So very disappointed in this new “cut back”.   I hardly use room service but love it when I need it.   Already miss the “Welcome Aboard” champagne, tote bags, amid escalating prices!!!! My TA failed to complete my 2024 6 day Bimini cruise just after Thanksgiving! Now the price has increased $800.00. My TA’s fault - but Celebrity raising prices that much in a matter of weeks for a 2024 cruise shocked me!!!!

Over 50 cruises on 6 different cruise lines and I am saddened to see these changes.  What is next? 

• Like 1

You can be certain of this; no line makes these decisions and fends for themselves.  

Soon Holland America and Princess will charge for room service, because Celebrity is getting away with it. 

Then Celebrity and Princess will charge for more than 1 app in specialty dining and MDR, because Holland is getting away with it. 

Princess will move to once a day room attendants, and Holland and Celebrity will do the same. 

Celebrity has created an absolutely absurd soda package price, so Holland and Princess will also. 

Holland America has eliminated any lobster tail in the MDR, on any night, without an upcharge; so Princess and Celebrity will soon follow. 

Princess charges for their medallion that connects to the app you use; so better believe Celebrity and Holland are looking at "wearables" for an upcharge. Why give it to you on your phone free if you can get someone to pay $10 for a bracelet? 

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

You can be certain of this; no line makes these decisions and fends for themselves.  

Soon Holland America and Princess will charge for room service, because Celebrity is getting away with it. 

Then Celebrity and Princess will charge for more than 1 app in specialty dining and MDR, because Holland is getting away with it. 

Princess will move to once a day room attendants, and Holland and Celebrity will do the same. 

Celebrity has created an absolutely absurd soda package price, so Holland and Princess will also. 

Holland America has eliminated any lobster tail in the MDR, on any night, without an upcharge; so Princess and Celebrity will soon follow. 

Princess charges for their medallion that connects to the app you use; so better believe Celebrity and Holland are looking at "wearables" for an upcharge. Why give it to you on your phone free if you can get someone to pay $10 for a bracelet? 

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. 

Some of what you say may be accurate but the Medallion on Princess is free.

It comes with a lanyard. You can put it on the lanyard, put it in your pocket or purchase a bracelet to wear it but that really isn't necessary.

And that medallion gets food and drink delivered to wherever you are when you want it - including alcoholic drinks if you have a drink package - to your cabin for no extra charge!!!

And Princess tried that once a day room room attendants right after Covid and it didn't work so they're back to twice a day.

Not sure just how much crossover there is.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1