Semi-LIVE Equinox January 2, 2023

Betsynh

So excited to finally be on the Equinox! We’re mid-50’s/early 60’s New Englanders who think we’re still in our 40’s. We booked this Ultimate Southern Caribbean cruise  since we haven’t been to three of the five islands on the itinerary. I wanted to share some quick thoughts and tips about our experience since I didn’t find many (semi) live reviews.

First, we were assigned 11:30am check in as our window. The hotel shuttle dropped us at 10:55am and there were plenty of baggage handlers, etc., so we progressed through the check-in line with no questions. Check in was a breeze — room keys were waiting outside the cabin — so it’s all done electronically. The only hold ups were people that didn’t do any online prep… and this is definitely an older crowd on this trip. We had a short wait and were heading to the ship around 11:35am. PRO TIP— always pack your bathing suit and sunscreen in your carryon! We had a great time enjoying the solarium pool (so warm—not salt water) and hot tub before our luggage arrived. We had the whole pool to ourselves.

Since I’m gluten-free, I typically head to the main dining room for lunch on embarkation day. I hadn’t done enough research, as the MDR wasn’t open for lunch and we were directed to the Oceanview Cafe (buffet). This totally stressed me out, but there was a supervisor by the entrance who told me how to read the signs — food is reasonably well-marked — and showed me the GF dessert area and indicated they have GF pizza and will have GF pasta tomorrow. The pizza took about 15 minutes to cook, but it was actually one of the best GF pizzas at sea I’ve eaten. They give you a whole one, so it’s a little overwhelming, but it was good enough that hubby polished off what I couldn’t eat. There’s an ice cream station in the Oceanview Cafe and all the ice cream is GF, as well.

I love a ship with a good atrium, and the Equinox didn’t disappoint! There are so many quiet nooks and crannies and plenty of seating (we are not at capacity this week). I’m writing this from the Library area on deck 10. It’s 7 stories up from the music below, so just enough vibe to feel like you’re on vacation without tripping over scooters and too many people confused about where they want to go next.

We like early dining (5:30pm) and got a window table for two in the Solarium and were done in time for the 7pm show. Tables were very close but arriving early helped with the flow although I felt bad for the waiter since each of his tables were at a different stage of the meal. Nevertheless, the food was good and they brought warmed up GF bread (the usual). The menus were well-labeled — except for the dessert menu — so I did NOT have to pre-order for the following day. That was really unusual but much appreciated!

After dinner, we went on a hunt for live music — the Take 3 musicians were pretty amazing but classical puts me to sleep on a full stomach. We cruised past the duo in Ensembles lounge — decent but too crowded. Waited a few minutes for the house band in the atrium and it turned out to be their 1950’s set. They sounded good, but not quite our vibe. Still searching, so decided to chill in the library and call it an early night. The nice thing about a 10-day cruise is that we don’t have to do everything on day one!

Quick shout-out to Len our cabin steward! We’re in an inside cabin on the Concierge deck so we’re his only guests without all the fancy perks. We were missing tickets for two pre-booked shore excursions but the desk took care of that right away. And, my RCCL visa points that I converted to OBC never made it. Guest Services is working on that for us… she said it happens all the time, so print out a copy of your confirmation! You’ll probably need it!

Great night sleeping! Loved one of the two pillow choices in our cabin—others on our deck apparently get a “menu” of pillow options. Headed to Tuscan Grille for the “Elite” breakfast option, open from 8-10am. Luciano, our waiter, was a total hoot. Menu is limited but I got a mocha latte, smoothie (think cold breakfast drink rather than frozen smoothie) and cheese platter. Hubby had fresh OJ, fruit plate and a couple of danish. It was enough to keep us going vs. a hot MDR or OVC breakfast.

Tried the morning archery session — it was a riot. Ran into another CC couple we met at the sail away party and challenged them to a smack down. They beat us by 3 points, but what we didn’t know since we went early, is that you can hit the cones to knock the balls off — you don’t have to only aim for the balls. Not so jealous of their lanyard prize…

Decided to camp out in one of the basket loungers in the solarium and happened upon a chair massage person giving free 2-minute neck/shoulders (it’s 10:45am right now on Day 2 sea day). She’s encouraging people to sign up for the full massages, but the quick/cheap version was great. It’s funny how the solarium has A/C, so it’s not stuffy or humid… the perfect location to enjoy the view and sunshine while we northerners acclimate to the tropical climate.

More to come!

• Like 5

Looking forward to this!

We are 56/60 &  sailed the Equinox  with some VERY young minded 60 something friends met on the Equinox in 2018!

We LOVE the ABC islands. Nassau sucks--but 5 ships, port area construction & a Veteran's Day parade downtown made it even less desirable.

Part 2 — Oops… I meant Silhouette dining room on deck 4 not Solarium for night one dinner. Seated to dessert took about 75 minutes — we didn’t have cocktails with our meal which may or may not extend the time. Night two took more like 90 minutes, so we dashed to the 7pm show — Karen Grainger, an amazing singing impersonator, and thoroughly enjoyed her show. Watched the Yes or No game and now there’s a weird lull for our tastes, so back in the library writing this while waiting for the fun dance music — I think we’ve got about 45-60 minutes of down time. We played our first slot tourney this afternoon and lost $35pp in a minute, but it was pretty fun to watch. For us it’s a “once is enough” activity.

We’re still getting turn-down service in the evening. I thought I read Celebrity stopped that, but could be mistaken or we’re on the right deck (thank you Len!). We got the free limited-menu drinks from 5-7 since we’re Elite, so did a fun, mad dash around the ship to fill the cabin fridge with can-bottles of water before getting a pre-dinner glass of wine. The Sky Lounge was the perfect spot to chill for a bit and watch the sunset prior to walking across deck 14 to take the aft elevators straight to deck 4 for the Silhouette dining room. We lucked out again with the same window table and Christopher and his team for dinner. You can basically reach out and help yourself to the food on the next table over they’re so close together, but so far no one has been overly annoying. We did want to encourage them to put their phones down while Christopher was talking though…

Tomorrow is chic night — our second sea day on this 10-night journey. So far the pace has been nice, allowing us to unwind and snooze before we hit 5 islands in a row. Stay tuned!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Betsynh said:

Part 2 — Oops… I meant Silhouette dining room on deck 4 not Solarium for night one dinner. Seated to dessert took about 75 minutes — we didn’t have cocktails with our meal which may or may not extend the time. Night two took more like 90 minutes, so we dashed to the 7pm show — Karen Grainger, an amazing singing impersonator, and thoroughly enjoyed her show. Watched the Yes or No game and now there’s a weird lull for our tastes, so back in the library writing this while waiting for the fun dance music — I think we’ve got about 45-60 minutes of down time. We played our first slot tourney this afternoon and lost $35pp in a minute, but it was pretty fun to watch. For us it’s a “once is enough” activity.

We’re still getting turn-down service in the evening. I thought I read Celebrity stopped that, but could be mistaken or we’re on the right deck (thank you Len!). We got the free limited-menu drinks from 5-7 since we’re Elite, so did a fun, mad dash around the ship to fill the cabin fridge with can-bottles of water before getting a pre-dinner glass of wine. The Sky Lounge was the perfect spot to chill for a bit and watch the sunset prior to walking across deck 14 to take the aft elevators straight to deck 4 for the Silhouette dining room. We lucked out again with the same window table and Christopher and his team for dinner. You can basically reach out and help yourself to the food on the next table over they’re so close together, but so far no one has been overly annoying. We did want to encourage them to put their phones down while Christopher was talking though…

Tomorrow is chic night — our second sea day on this 10-night journey. So far the pace has been nice, allowing us to unwind and snooze before we hit 5 islands in a row. Stay tuned!

The band, a New Zealand quartet called Current Groove played a fun set of Motown in the Sky lounge for 45 minutes although hardly anyone was dancing (you’re welcome for the show of us flailing away having a blast). We stuck around for the late-night DJ. Great song choices for the first half hour before we were overrun with a dozen young 20-something’s that needed frequent reminders to keep the glassware off the dance floor. The DJ shouldn’t have to be the parent, too, right? The water bottles we snagged during the Elite happy hour? $9.60 for two including gratuity. Yikes. Next time maybe we’ll bring our own from our fridge stash.

Clocks moved ahead one hour at 3am. We LOVE being near the front-middle of the ship (#1032) on deck 10. We’re around the corner from the elevator in a cozy nook that isn’t even noticeable. It’s a quick jump two flights to the solarium/pool area, one more deck to the Sky Lounge and short elevator ride to the theater entrance. We have to walk to the back for meals, but we need the steps anyway! Halfway toward the aft is the Library which is a great place to chill sans veranda. (NOTE: I bid for a MoveUp to a veranda and was accepted, but my RCCL credit card had expired between the bid and acceptance, so it was declined and we lost our chance. Nonetheless, we’re really pleased with our original choice and now have $1,000 to spend on board instead, right? Different CC folks offered options to switch cabins, but we’re content.

Day 2 at sea (3rd ship day): Plenty of shady chairs to be had at 10am on both the pool deck and the Solarium. Snagged a rectangle couch lounger near the main pool. I’m impressed with the number of seats-for-two around the ship. The Solarium lounge chairs don’t sit up enough for me to read comfortably after just eating breakfast… so here we are! Another gorgeous day in paradise… (hoping no one recognizes us after last night’s dancing!) The staff thus far have been incredibly friendly and remember us — they truly know how to make us feel special.

If you haven’t noticed by now, we sailed the “sail only” inside cabin rate and decided to exploit our Elite perks to get extra benefits and splurge on amazing excursions. Eating up my 90 minutes of free internet posting these (even while writing in advance and uploading), so may need to tap into hubby’s minutes… I see why people say electronics are addicting… I had to consciously break my Wordle streak — too funny — or slightly pathetic. For all of you who know what I’m talking about, I got up to 125 previously, but this current streak was only 41…

Funny afternoon, still sitting in the same lounger/couch next to the “Slush” counter by the pool. We’ve experienced three quick rain squalls today, completely sheltered and comfy while others are shrieking and vacating their poolside loungers. This is a great spot to watch the day go by. We were hoping for the 1:15 poolside band, but they must’ve been canceled due to potential rain.

Got back to the cabin to a voice message from Brito the Restaurant Manager. We were chatting yesterday in the OVC and I asked whether they had (naturally gluten-free) flourless chocolate cake. He left a message that they will have some for me tonight! If you, too, are GF and a raving chocoholic, be sure to ask when you’re on board!

We’re all chic’d up and ready to do the Captain’s Club $4.80 water dash at 5pm… then off to dinner and tonight’s show is a Broadway Cabaret at 7pm and 9pm. More to follow!

• Like 3

Sounds like you are having a great time!  We have been on Equinox 6 times, with a B2B scheduled in September.  I have to eat gluten free, too.  I’m surprised you enjoyed the pizza as the last time I had it, it was terrible and last cruise I did not try it.  I will give it another chance!  The pasta, sauce and meatballs are very good!  Also, go to the Spa Cafe for some gluten free breakfast/lunch choices and their GF Apple Cookies are good.  Last two cruises the gf cakes were horrible - like a wet sponge cake.  I have always eaten the gelato but last cruise I was told none of them are gluten free.  I could not get an official answer so I stayed away from it.  

Enjoy your cruise!

13 minutes ago, jd99 said:

Hello!  One question. Is your cabin refurbished? Keep reading it is hit or miss and we are reserving inside cabins for upcoming cruise and hoping to land in one that is 

Actually, I don’t know. It doesn’t seem terribly old, but it’s not high tech. What should we be looking for?

Another gluten-free tip: The Oceanview Cafe has Canyon Bakehouse bread for toasting with a dedicated toaster! They also offered up a couple of kinds of muffins at the breakfast buffet. The pizza takes about 15 minutes to prepare/cook, so enjoy a salad while you wait — the Caesar dressing at the custom salad station is GF, too!

After my excitement over the flourless chocolate cake, the dining staff couldn’t locate it and told me it would be for another night. Instead they presented me with a GF chocolate mousse which totally hit the spot.

Performers tonight were about a 7 out of 10 — from one of the house bands that had a great set list and high energy lead female vocalist in the Deck 3 atrium to the Broadway Cabaret performers. It’s apparently their last cruise before departing the ship… so there will be a new production cast next cruise. Attended the live band singing (upgraded karaoke). People tried… that’s all I’ll say. Stayed for the late-night DJ. He was great and the crowd of all ages was fun.

We dock in St. John, Antigua around 10am.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Betsynh said:

Actually, I don’t know. It doesn’t seem terribly old, but it’s not high tech. What should we be looking for?

That’s good news regardless. But i guess the older rooms are more brown/burgandy/rust coloring while refreshed are blues and grays. 

Enjoying your report - I will be on Equinox for a b2b at the end of February.  First leg sounds like your itinerary, second leg is ABC Islands.  I saw on your review that they are still doing the plated Elite breakfast, read that some ships were going back to the buffet format.  Looking forward to your comments about ports.  Thanks for taking the time to share!

12 minutes ago, Betsynh said:

Another gluten-free tip: The Oceanview Cafe has Canyon Bakehouse bread for toasting with a dedicated toaster! They also offered up a couple of kinds of muffins at the breakfast buffet. The pizza takes about 15 minutes to prepare/cook, so enjoy a salad while you wait — the Caesar dressing at the custom salad station is GF, too!

After my excitement over the flourless chocolate cake, the dining staff couldn’t locate it and told me it would be for another night. Instead they presented me with a GF chocolate mousse which totally hit the spot.

Performers tonight were about a 7 out of 10 — from one of the house bands that had a great set list and high energy lead female vocalist in the Deck 3 atrium to the Broadway Cabaret performers. It’s apparently their last cruise before departing the ship… so there will be a new production cast next cruise. Attended the live band singing (upgraded karaoke). People tried… that’s all I’ll say. Stayed for the late-night DJ. He was great and the crowd of all ages was fun.

We dock in St. John, Antigua around 10am.

Thanks so much for the gluten free advice. My oldest daughter is celiac snd had a great dining experience on the Edge so we were hoping the Equinox would be good as well. 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting! We will joining the ship on January 30th for a B2B.

You had shared the following:

Tomorrow is chic night — our second sea day on this 10-nightjourney. So far the pace has been nice, allowing us to unwind and snooze before we hit 5 islands in a row. Stay tuned!

Your on a 10 night  so was the Chic night the 2nd or third night?? When will be your second chic night. Would help with planning, DW likes to make reservations once on board with Specialty Dining. 

Thanks again, look forward to the rest of your post! 

Cheers! 

On 1/3/2023 at 8:49 PM, Betsynh said:

we dashed to the 7pm show — Karen Grainger, an amazing singing impersonator, and thoroughly enjoyed her show.

We caught Karen Grainger on the NJ-Iceland cruise this summer, and were shocked at how good she was. Highly recommend. 

14 hours ago, jd99 said:

Hello!  One question. Is your cabin refurbished? Keep reading it is hit or miss and we are reserving inside cabins for upcoming cruise and hoping to land in one that is 

Cabins were refurbished in 2019