Your opinions re our choice for a Caribbean Cruise

Presto2

Hi everyone,

We have been around on CC long enough now to know that there are so many of you that we really trust in terms of your advice when it comes to picking a special cruise. So .. help again everyone !!!

Without going in to details, (but the word retirement springs to mind), we are looking ahead to Spring 2024 and are thinking of booking a 2 week Caribbean Cruise on Britannia. Love the ship so no worries there. Probably early March to avoid half term (now that would be a novelty in itself!)

We have compared PO to TUI and think we would prefer PO and think the value for money is better.

We are now looking at cabins and wondering if we should just stick to our normal aft cabin (have done F729 twice and loved it) or go mad as it is a special occasion and go for a suite. There is one on deck E available.

Looking at price though, we are not sure if the difference in price is worth it - the aft cabins are fab and the suite would cost us another £3,500. Sounds nice but not sure if it would be worth it other than for Epicurean. Not sure if anyone could say if they think it is worth the extra. Would not really want to use the butler service.

To be honest we think we would prefer to pay the extra for the upgrade flight experience.

We've also just noticed when going through the booking system that you can book a hotel before or after your stay. Well we thought we could, but when I tried to book something it all crashed and the option has disappeared. Has anyone done this before and if so, was it ok?

Please let us know what you think - would really appreciate your help with this one

Thank you

Us Prestos 

I may not be the right person to advise as I have not been in a suite. However 'what you've never had you never miss' springs to mind. And £3500 is a lot of money. Also if it is amazing you won't be able to go back. That happened to us when we had our first balcony for a special occasion

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hi everyone,

We have been around on CC long enough now to know that there are so many of you that we really trust in terms of your advice when it comes to picking a special cruise. So .. help again everyone !!!

Without going in to details, (but the word retirement springs to mind), we are looking ahead to Spring 2024 and are thinking of booking a 2 week Caribbean Cruise on Britannia. Love the ship so no worries there. Probably early March to avoid half term (now that would be a novelty in itself!)

We have compared PO to TUI and think we would prefer PO and think the value for money is better.

We are now looking at cabins and wondering if we should just stick to our normal aft cabin (have done F729 twice and loved it) or go mad as it is a special occasion and go for a suite. There is one on deck E available.

Looking at price though, we are not sure if the difference in price is worth it - the aft cabins are fab and the suite would cost us another £3,500. Sounds nice but not sure if it would be worth it other than for Epicurean. Not sure if anyone could say if they think it is worth the extra. Would not really want to use the butler service.

To be honest we think we would prefer to pay the extra for the upgrade flight experience.

We've also just noticed when going through the booking system that you can book a hotel before or after your stay. Well we thought we could, but when I tried to book something it all crashed and the option has disappeared. Has anyone done this before and if so, was it ok?

Please let us know what you think - would really appreciate your help with this one

Thank you

Us Prestos 

Regards the possibility of booking a hotel pre or post cruise.  I discussed this with the sales rep on Aurora  in November.  I knew that was done for fly cruises on Azura and also that P&O will change your flight, so you can book your own hotel in Malta of Tenerife.  It seems though that they do not have hotels to use for that purpose in The Caribbean, though they will still change your flight day if you request, though seems that can only be for up to three days or thereabouts via P&O.  You do not pay any extra for the flight, but you will loose the relevant transfers, so would have to pay for those yourself as well as arrange your own hotel.  Something to ring P&O about I suggest, or perhaps try an agent to book whatever it is you want to go with (perhaps they could include a hotel in the package).

I would agree that having a pre or post stay would appeal much more to me than having a suite on the ship.  If you do not have to return for work purposes, an agent may be able to book an extra week for you in a hotel, if that appeals,  Must admit an upgraded flight would also appeal to me for the Caribbean.

Happy planning,

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

We had an aft corner wrap suite (F730) for two weeks around the Med in 2017 and wouldn’t book it again. We had multiple problems with it - noise from the Live Lounge two decks below, multiple rattles from the vibration when at sea, soot on the balcony and the fact that there’s a plumbing plant room accessed from the lobby of the suite which services multiple cabins around it, so we heard the flushing system continuously. Whilst the large balcony was nice (even though you had to  be very mindful of the soot on the floor, seats and handrails) we much preferred the forward facing suites, which we had used twice before without incidents.

Although we usually love Epicurean for breakfast on Britannia, on our last cruise the experience was spoiled by a very noisy family and a baby that cried continuously, yet the parents rarely took it out to calm it and give other diners some peace (as we always did when our kids were that young).  

Having had suites on P&O quite a few times, we have taken the view now that they aren’t worth the price premium. We will cruise with P&O in a balcony cabin (usually the largest you can get) because the prices are reasonable, but if splashing out more we have decided that we want a better quality overall cruise experience than is now offered by P&O. That’s why we have booked a cruise with Cunard in Britannia Club to compare and contrast. Similar price per night as a suite with P&O, but the main benefit (a personal table for your sole use in a dedicated Club restaurant, which you can use whenever you like for any or all of breakfast, lunch and dinner - all at times of your choosing each day with no reservation or pagers needed - and additional a’la carte menu items at dinner over and above the MDR menu) appeals far more than just having breakfast in the Epicurean.

We have also disliked the Butler service on P&O. They have some uses (notably obtaining free room service items, which the few good ones we’ve had extended that benefit to our daughters who were booked in the adjacent balcony cabin) but, overall, we found them to be intrusive, turning up doing nothing of benefit to appear useful (all with an end of cruise tip in mind) when the real work is done by the cabin steward. Finally, as we are now Caribbean tier with P&O, we get priority boarding anyway, so one of the very few suite perks is no longer of use to us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have taken many fly cruises to the Caribbean with P&O, though sadly never in a suite.

My main advice would be to upgrade your flight to premium economy if flying on one of P&Os charters. The seats are much bigger and the legroom much greater, and the food and service better. Particularly valuable on the return flight if this is overnight as it can be difficult to relax in a standard economy seat particulaly if sandwiched between two large passengers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Particularly valuable on the return flight if this is overnight as it can be difficult to relax in a standard economy seat particulaly if sandwiched between two large passengers!

It's much cheaper to pre-book a window seat 🙂, which is what I usually do, and I can watch out of the window.

I've only got little legs.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Particularly valuable on the return flight if this is overnight as it can be difficult to relax in a standard economy seat particulaly if sandwiched between two large passengers!

It's much cheaper to pre-book a window seat 🙂, which is what I usually do, and I can watch out of the window.

27 minutes ago, GOQ said:

Which means you have to disturb two people every time you go to the loo/stretch your legs. I try to walk around every two hours or so on a lh flight, which is not easy if you have to keep disturbing your neighbours.

If we don't fly PE, we get adjoining aisle seats.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Which means you have to disturb two people every time you go to the loo/stretch your legs. I try to walk around every two hours or so on a lh flight, which is not easy if you have to keep disturbing your neighbours.

If we don't fly PE, we get adjoining aisle seats.

Sorry for the double post.

I fly solo so it's good option for me. As a couple your solution is probably the best option. 

My late wife used to go walkabout, which is the heathiest way to fly, and used to drag me along too.

• Like 1

Suites give you space to relax

The Epicurean breakfast much more relaxing

Butler useful if you want light lunch in room, also for restaurant bookings

I'd go for rear suite ideally corner , so you have sun all day and your own sunbed , a big bonus . Rear suite better than not knowing if sun on your side of ship.

Whether it's worth £3500 only you know what you are not buying instead. 

I'd certainly also reccomend premium economy 

• Thanks 1

Blimey, there was only one reply when we went to work and now there are loads !

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate all of your advice and opinions.

Re the additional cost of a suite - I suppose we are trying to think that that could be another week's holiday somewhere ( e.g. a land holiday in Cyprus in a decent hotel).

We have plenty of time to plan so all and any views appreciated 🙂

Just out of interest if you have a full English do they use higher quality sausages Inthe Epicurean or better bacon or you just like dressing for breakfast, me just slap it on a plate and if I remember I get a knife and fork.

• Haha 1

Totally agree with the comments on PE going to Barbados. We weren’t in a suite for our Christmas cruise but we did have a sit down breakfast in the Oriental restaurant on deck 6 each day and it was wonderful.

• Like 2

I know a lot of people won’t like this post , but hey ho.

Hi , if I were you and this cruise was a celebration then I would certainly not be going with P and O , I appreciate you have been with them before but have you ever tried cruising on a ship that is not solely aimed at the British Market , you will find everything of a much higher standard . 
Having cruised with P and O many many years ago my husband and I decided back in 2018 to give it one more chance on the Britannia , as we didn’t fancy sailing out of Miami and to cut along story short we would never ever ever sail with them again, their standards are so poor in many regions, and as to saying the staff can’t do enough for you is decidedly laughable , the food was rubbish , even the speciality restaurants were not that special .

If you are thinking of paying that much, go with a decent company , not P and O .

PS my husband and I have taken approx 40 cruises with various companies.

Edited by Rosroz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rosroz said:

Hi , if I were you and this cruise was a celebration then I would certainly not be going with P and O , I appreciate you have been with them before but have you ever tried cruising on a ship that is not solely aimed at the British Market , you will find everything of a much higher standard . 
Having cruised with P and O many many years ago my husband and I decided back in 2018 to give it one more chance on the Britannia , as we didn’t fancy sailing out of Miami and to cut along story short we would never ever ever sail with them again, their standards are so poor in many regions, and as to saying the staff can’t do enough for you is decidedly laughable , the food was rubbish , even the speciality restaurants were not that special .

If you are thinking of paying that much, go with a decent company , not P and O .

Whilst I am not a great P&O fan (prefer Princess myself), I don't think what happened in 2018 is of any relevance today. 

There are many negative and posiive posts on here regarding P&O cruises taken in the last six months,  which are far more valid than a critique from five years ago. 

You also appear to be a regular cruiser on Azamara and Oceania, so it is not really relevant to compare P&O to cruise lines that are far more expensive.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2023 at 5:45 PM, Rosroz said:

Thanks for your opinion and we are not offended at all.

Our last cruise was on the Celebrity EDGE and if you look at our signature you will see that we have done a number of cruises with Celebrity and dipped out toe in to RCI. We have also done a number on P&O - some good, some not so good. We have looked at other cruise lines for the Caribbean but we like the itinerary for P&O and the value for money in terms of the flights being included. Have researched Celebrity and Marella but we keep coming back to Britannia for the Caribbean as we really have had 2 excellent cruises on her and know what to expect. (Well we did but we are unsure now as we haven't sailed since Covid hit and are worried re falling standards, but that is another story).

We have looked at Azamara and Oceania for other itineraries but that would not be the Caribbean.

TBH I think we will save the extra cost re the suite and use it towards another holiday / cruise. Have had a look at Youtube and the replies above have been really helpful.

If we don't do the Caribbean on Britannia we will do a cruise on an EDGE class ship at a later date - hopefully to the Middle East, but that would be towards the end of the year.

🙂

We did the Caribbean with Marella (the Celebration) and had a great time. I would definitely recommend upgrading the flight. Premium Economy was a real treat and definitely worth it - we were probably the 3rd or 4th people onto the ship from our flight! We flew into the Dominican Republic - first off the plane, onto a coach and straight to the ship! 

3 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

We did the Caribbean with Marella (the Celebration) and had a great time. I would definitely recommend upgrading the flight. Premium Economy was a real treat and definitely worth it - we were probably the 3rd or 4th people onto the ship from our flight! We flew into the Dominican Republic - first off the plane, onto a coach and straight to the ship! 

We are thinking of changing our Iona Canaries cruise in October to a Britannia Caribbean in December, but only if we can get PE. The PE cabin gets to Barbados before economy.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We are thinking of changing our Iona Canaries cruise in October to a Britannia Caribbean in December, but only if we can get PE. The PE cabin gets to Barbados before economy.🤣

We are on the Dec 1st cruise, which might make you think twice ! 

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We are on the Dec 1st cruise, which might make you think twice ! 

That's the one. Now perhaps you may reconsider.  If not you will recognise me as the hen pecked looking bloke in the MDR queue.