Do we need a passport?

JEN5508

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

As I stated earlier, my entire family has valid passports, but I also know folks who’s only I international travel have been closed looped cruises. BTW I believe it’s now $165 (and at least here it can be a pita to get them).

Just for Clarification:

I did say $130.00 plus the application fee which is $35.00.  

34 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Just for Clarification:

I did say $130.00 plus the application fee which is $35.00.  

I did see that, but since the total price is $165 and not negotiable, that’s the cost (my family paid $1155 for passports).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BND said:

My feeling also is that if you can afford to spent $1,000 or more on a cruise, you can afford to spend $120 on a passport.  How many of those saying they don't want to spend the money on a passport are spending $1000 and up on drink packages?

It is just a horrible assumption on your part. Whether you believe it or not, there are quite a few passengers on each ship who saved (in some cases for years) to be on the ship and then they arrive with the bare minimum in ancillary funds.  In some cases you will see these same people forced to remove tips, not because they want to but because they have to. Therefore, several hundred dollars in passports fees which are not a required expense is just not going to be an option.  Secondly, I also believe the Cruise Lines would never promote the idea to only allow paid in full passengers to board who possess a certain cash threshold in their bank accounts. Never a good idea to "group think"

18 minutes ago, rolloman said:

It is just a horrible assumption on your part. Whether you believe it or not, there are quite a few passengers on each ship who saved (in some cases for years) to be on the ship and then they arrive with the bare minimum in ancillary funds.  In some cases you will see these same people forced to remove tips, not because they want to but because they have to. Therefore, several hundred dollars in passports fees which are not a required expense is just not going to be an option.  Secondly, I also believe the Cruise Lines would never promote the idea to only allow paid in full passengers to board who possess a certain cash threshold in their bank accounts. Never a good idea to "group think"

I think  many of us are so used to taking multiple cruises every year that they don't relize that for many a cruise is something they might be able to do only once in their lifetime. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Why would they do that? The mass market cruise lines don’t want to make it more difficult for people to cruise. They could have required a passport since 2008. They advertise you don’t need a passport. Only a few boutique cruise lines require a passport.

sorry I disagree.  folks need to pay for one for their best interests in case things go wrong,

If ya have the money for a cruise, ya have the money for a passport.

So if cruise lines make it a requirement, then it shuts down the folks who sound like kids saying

"NO I DON'T WANT TO"   I mean cruiselines strongly suggest and so folks so just listen and not whine.

Then again, I am sure there are folks who do not wear a seat belt either as then Do Not want to.   sigh

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I don't care if they do or don't, I just don't understand people who don't want one.  The idea that why bother because you'll never need it again seems lame to me.  How do you know you won't need it in 2 or 5 years down the road.  I can't imagine so certain about the future.

thank for your opinion which I share.

I feel too many folks fly by the seat of their pants and or just reckless.  oh well.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, rolloman said:

And, if they started being required,  they would come up with the money if they wanted to cruise, correct?  This is my personal opinion.  No group here.  I think it's a horrible assumption to think that so many people can't afford passports.  I think you're making a lot of assumptions about people without any data.  You're basically doing the "elitist" group think.  Those poor people are just lucky to be cruising type thinking.  How many people cruising do you think fit in the category you mentioned?  I'd hazard to say less than 10%.   After 35 cruises, we have met many people and they pretty much all are very comfortable financially.   Everyone has to choose how to spend their money, but I see some who justify what they do by whining.

Alcohol packages aren't required either, yet plenty of people buy them, some of who probably don't have the money, but want to drink all day.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

So if cruise lines make it a requirement, then it shuts down the folks who sound like kids saying

The cruise lines won't make it a requirement. They don't want it to be a requirement. They wanted an exception to having a passport for cruises. 

27 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I think  many of us are so used to taking multiple cruises every year that they don't relize that for many a cruise is something they might be able to do only once in their lifetime. 

How many people do you know that that is their reality?  The only people I know that have only cruised once are the ones that decide they don't like it and go onto another vacation type.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

As I stated earlier, my entire family has valid passports, but I also know folks who’s only I international travel have been closed looped cruises. BTW I believe it’s now $165 (and at least here it can be a pita to get them).

Where is "here"?  If it's the US, you can apply at the local post office for the first one and renew online for future ones.  How hard is that?

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The cruise lines won't make it a requirement. They don't want it to be a requirement. They wanted an exception to having a passport for cruises. 

They will if the Federal Government decides to.

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m aware of that, but $1000 or so for passports for the family to take a cruise where passports aren’t necessary might seem wasteful.

As opposed to drink packages lol.

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

says you.    I guarantee you if it is a requirement, folks may fuss, but they will still book.  I mean if prices keep going up and folks still cruise, then just add passports to the mix.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BND said:

How many people do you know that that is their reality?  The only people I know that have only cruised once are the ones that decide they don't like it and go onto another vacation type.

Personally since I retired I don't know any in that reality. When I was working I knew many in that  reality. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Personally since I retired I don't know many in that reality. When I was working I knew many in that  reality. 

I'm also retired, but when I was working I didn't know anyone in that situation where it was a once in a lifetime.  While there are some people in that situation, it's hardly a large percentage of cruisers.  When our kids were young, we did the vacations we could afford, a weekend at the beach,  staycations (we live near DC so lots to see) driving to visit family.   "Once in a lifetime" sounds tragic, but it just isn't that common.

This I very much agree with.  Cruise lines have no interest in any impediment to cruising.  I still think it is prudent to have one but fully understand that people will continue to live their lives the way they want irrespective of what is safest.

I'm not exactly one to talk when it comes to risk taking.  I just choose to take my risks somewhere else.

6 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

says you.    I guarantee you if it is a requirement, folks may fuss, but they will still book.  I mean if prices keep going up and folks still cruise, then just add passports to the mix.

Why would they make it a requirement? 

Just now, Charles4515 said:

Why would they?

It's called they have the power and they could.  The current exceptions are not permanent regardless of what some think.  It doesn't take much to change them.

6 minutes ago, BND said:

As opposed to drink packages lol.

best reply yet.   

In answer to your comment on reality of cruising once, so if folks don't cruise they might fly to a destination outside the USA and guess what they will need,  ..... aw yes a passport.  

Hoping the Fed Govt will require it.  

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Why would they make it a requirement? 

like I keep saying, if the strongly advise it and whiners say no I don't want to, then just make it a requirement.  the fact that the words are there should really mean something.  

BTW, I don't care what others do about passports and I enjoy debating.  I just love those that think they have to defend people they don't know about imaginary once in a lifetime trips.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BND said:

It's called they have the power and they could.  The current exceptions are not permanent regardless of what some think.  It doesn't take much to change them.

They could by they have not. Why did they make the exception? What has changed that they would change the exception? 

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

It is just a horrible assumption on your part. Whether you believe it or not, there are quite a few passengers on each ship who saved (in some cases for years) to be on the ship and then they arrive with the bare minimum in ancillary funds.  In some cases you will see these same people forced to remove tips, not because they want to but because they have to. 

I do not think you should have tips removed.  If your budget is that tight, then find some other way but to remove tips is just unkind

They could by they have not. Why did they make the exception? What has changed that they would change the exception? 

Give it a rest lol.  All I said was it "could" happen.