Mazatlan being destroyed by cartel.

gold1953

While there is concern in for Mazatlan, and the airport there has been closed as a precaution, the violence thus far is in other cities in the state of Sinaloa.  That being said, I would expect that Mazatlan will likely not be visited by cruise ships until/unless things resolve. 

However, it is not correct to say "Mazatlan being destroyed".

Harris

Denver, CO

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, think I will stick with a Celebrity excursion for my stop there coming up in 2 weeks.  At least if something happens my estate will have an insurance policy for liability.

ETA:  This has me nervous and I'm not one who gets very nervous.  Apologies if my attempt at humour offended anyone.

Edited by BOB999
  • Haha 2

The last time the cartels got frisky on the coast, July 2022, I became curious about how the bad press/State Department alerts had affected Mexican Riviera cruise fares. I knew the Mexican government would not permit such shenanigans to adversely affect its tourism trade.

So, I was able to book a seven day RS on Soli for early November at $3600, all in, with $600 OBC. As a solo.

The cruise was perfect and ruined (spoiled) me. My only regret was that I did not grab the Penthouse, also available, at $5000.

I am again checking fares daily.

Edited by rbelshaw
Missing negative
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The Pacific side of Mexico used to have more cruise ships that it does now.  There is a reason for that.  This is a reoccurring episode.  Check the state department for travel recommendations.

X, CCL, RCL, NCL, Princess and Disney all have on-going Mexican Riviera sailings and just about any other cruise line we can name is scheduled to have a stop in one of the Mexican Riviera ports

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rbelshaw said:

The last time the cartels got frisky on the coast, July 2022, I became curious about how the bad press/State Department alerts had affected Mexican Riviera cruise fares. I knew the Mexican government would not permit such shenanigans to adversely affect its tourism trade.

So, I was able to book a seven day RS on Soli for early November at $3600, all in, with $600 OBC. As a solo.

The cruise was perfect and ruined (spoiled) me. My only regret was that I did not grab the Penthouse, also available, at $5000.

I am again checking fares daily.

Very good advice! 

5 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

X, CCL, RCL, NCL, Princess and Disney all have on-going Mexican Riviera sailings and just about any other cruise line we can name is scheduled to have a stop in one of the Mexican Riviera ports

Not as many as they used to quite a few years back.

And not as many as Cozumel...

Edited by NMTraveller

5 hours ago, Swordfish1949 said:

Hate to disagree but at least according to the US State Department, the entire state is listed as Do Not Travel.  Hope the authorities get everything under control soon.
image.thumb.png.8fca5223170edec52d6f7e2d23fa3b0e.png

The date on this is a week old.  Is it still active?  My quick search didn't come up with anything later, but it was quick.

I wrote Mexico off as a cruise stop years ago. The only one I would feel comfortable visiting at this point is Cozumel and maybe walk around the port in Costa Maya. Have done multiple visits to both locations in past cruises and had some wonderful experiences to see nice beaches and ancient ruins like Chichen Itza. Had always wanted to see some of the western towns like Puerto Vallarta but if I don't get there at this point I'm good with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, abbydancer said:

The date on this is a week old.  Is it still active?  My quick search didn't come up with anything later, but it was quick.

Look at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html#Sinaloa state    State of Sinaloa is noted as Do Not Travel. 

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We stopped at Mazatlan yrs ago on a cruise.  Saw a show and a few other highlights.  Our gen observation was it was not such a great port....even back then...

We went there maybe about 8 or 10 years ago when there were no state department recommendations.  The local police would say we know where the banditos are.  I think that they did a better job of protecting their tourist destinations back then.

Sad to read about Mazatlán. We were there last month and walked downtown and back to the ship with no issues. There was expats along the walk giving info and directions. Felt very safe at that time. No issues with PV either. Cabo was another story. We were constantly offered drugs, sex and tours along our walk to eat dinner at a local restaurant. I’m used to people trying to sell things in other ports but Cabo took it to a new level. 

I just returned from there. Did a salsa and salsa shore excursion. There were no problems in the tourist zone. Did not feel unsafe at any time.   It’s still not my favorite port but the tour was fun. 

• Like 1

I grew up part of my childhood in Laredo.  Our youth director at my church (Jim Smiley) was killed by youths supposedly with possible cartel links...but one of them was also living in his house or had lived in his house at one point.  My family later moved away, but my friends and I would still go to South Padre as teenagers and go over to Matamoros many times with no incidences. This was the late 90s and about a decade after the Adolfo Costanzo killings of the 80s so there was a history there.  Despite all of these terrifying incidents, I have traveled to Mexico many times and never felt any concern. My understanding is that *most* of the cartel retaliation is usually targeted at people or their families who are believed to have helped authorities...or are authorities themselves. I.e. In Laredo, either one of the DA's or the police chief was killed once, I believe.  I would have no fear of going there so long as you went with a large tour group and stayed in the tourist zones. I doubt they are going to kidnap tourists in a large tour group in the middle of the day.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swordfish1949 said:

Sinaloa has been classified as do not travel for... years now? And the State Dept. explicitly carves out tourist areas in Mazatlan as not being banned for federal employees. 

5 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Cabo was another story. We were constantly offered drugs, sex and tours along our walk to eat dinner at a local restaurant.

The same thing happens on Las Vegas Boulevard! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me try to oversimply this...

El Chapo's son was recaptured in the Cartel-stronghold city of Culiacán which he lived in which is where the LOCALIZED retaliatory violence took place.  It is about 135 miles away from the city Mazatlán.  This happened coincidently just days before the US President was visiting Mexico City

Should be noted they captured him in the same city in 2019 and there was even worse localized retaliatory violence in the aftermath.  Cartel Leadership only have so many "enforcers" so to "deploy" them to a cruise port tourist city to commit random acts of violence against tourists doesn't serve them any purpose

image.thumb.png.52f236767bd4b4cee2ea603962bd2197.png