On Regatta now

Mrs f.

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I know this may not make you feel any better but:

Would you REALLY prefer the “play by play” announcements when the next announcement you hear might reasonably be “Well, that didn’t work.”

What many cruise passengers, even seasoned ones, may not understand is that solving operational (including navigational and engineering) problems in a maritime environment, particularly when key controls may lie with local authorities, can be complicated, fluid and subject to far more variables than you or I realize.

Add to that passenger misconceptions about things like the cost to the cruise line of missed and/or replaced ports. I always chuckle at folks who want their missed port fees automatically returned (though O may still be required to pay for the tugs, labor et al. logistics while also paying costs associated with any replacement port). 

Can Oceania be better about communication? Absolutely, but not with “your play by play.” The normal Captain’s daily reports should be sufficient to provide layman’s detail of the most key issue causing any major actual or anticipated change in the itinerary and the action(s) required to correct them. As tasks are completed (and only when they are completed), passengers should be informed during those regular Captain reports and/or by his/her written communication distributed to cabins.

Will Oceania “make things right” for your inconvenience (even if it didn’t cause the problem)? In my experience: In most cases yes. But, like the above items, it would best not be done as “play by play.” 

There's certainly truth to what you say.  It's hard to find the sweet spot, but I much prefer overcommunication to under.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, mnocket said:

There's certainly truth to what you say.  It's hard to find the sweet spot, but I much prefer overcommunication to under.

just  getting any communication is helpful  when you know something is going on

Oceania  is not know for it's communication onboard

Like when Noro is aboard  the only way you know is when the crew start washing  everything

JMO

• Like 1

I see Regatta is now well on their way towards Geelong to continue their journey.

Good to see, especially for those doing the next few cruises to NZ with a clean hull.

NZ cruising is also currently being disrupted by the first Cyclone of the season heading for the East Coast of the North Island.

Various  ships are taking the necessary avoiding action and making the best of it.

It’s shaping up to be a busy cruise season in NZ, so everyone is hoping any future disruptions are relatively easy to manage.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Can Oceania be better about communication? Absolutely, but not with “your play by play.” 

I see your point but Oceania's level of communication during any sort of operational hiccup is usually terrible. It seems to be part of their corporate culture to go to nondisclosure mode with guests and only give minimal information.  Of course there can be, as you put it, "too much play by play," but on the scale of too little vs. too much communication, Oceania leans quite far in the too little direction.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

just  getting any communication is helpful  when you know something is going on

Oceania  is not know for it's communication onboard

Like when Noro is aboard  the only way you know is when the crew start washing  everything

JMO

The way we know Covid is in a room is when we see a folding table in front of a cabin door for days . And someone in a hazmat type suit leaving that room

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hey folks, it appears there are pax on board attempting to share/obtain info from one another on this thread. 

PLEASE....stay on the original topic.

Thank you,

Laura

Regatta seems to lose its live TV and internet every time we are in port.  What’s up with that?

Today in Melbourne the P&O embarkation totally messed up with the city shuttle.   They would not allow them at the normal spot so it was very confusing as to where we were picking it up let alone tryying walk off when 6000? Passengers where walking on.

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

Regatta seems to lose its live TV and internet every time we are in port.  What’s up with that?

The Oceania Tech help desk person can explain why this happens. And if you use the search feature here on CC, you’ll find several extensive explanations about the basis for required limits imposed on live feeds when ships are in certain ports.

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The Oceania Tech help desk person can explain why this happens. And if you use the search feature here on CC, you’ll find several extensive explanations about the basis for required limits imposed on live feeds when ships are in certain ports.

What terms can I search on to explain why shut off the internet connection when in port?

I am not getting anything specific.  I may stop by the internet guy later.

What terms can I search on to explain why shut off the internet connection when in port?

I am not getting anything specific.  I may stop by the internet guy later.

So many internet possibilities: segment changeover days, system maintenance, temp isp move to land provider….  In any case, it’s not unusual in our experience.

As for the live TV feed, think about restrictions in their provider contract when in port…. 

27 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

So many internet possibilities: segment changeover days, system maintenance, temp isp move to land provider….  In any case, it’s not unusual in our experience.

As for the live TV feed, think about restrictions in their provider contract when in port…. 

Relative to other cruises you have been this has been the most erratic for internet.  If it’s not going to be available in port I just wish they would spell it out similar to the shops not being open.

Relative to other cruises you have been this has been the most erratic for internet.  If it’s not going to be available in port I just wish they would spell it out similar to the shops not being open.

They explained early on that the Internet doesn't work well when in port. Go up to Marcel in the computer room. He's great 

14 hours ago, LauraS said:

Hey folks, it appears there are pax on board attempting to share/obtain info from one another on this thread. 

PLEASE....stay on the original topic.

Thank you,

Laura

Basically Peter announced at 5pm that we would be getting into Melbourne later than expected the next morning.  We were able to call our tour guide and salvage part of the day. No comment from 0 about the lost days. Oh, I stand corrected....the first day the captain thanked us for understanding.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zalusky said:

Sounds like you are somewhat new to cruising(?). This type of info is often on the list of items a really good TA might include in a “newbie” orientation.

20 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sounds like you are somewhat new to cruising(?). This type of info is often on the list of items a really good TA might include in a “newbie” orientation.

Jeeze FF, he has 14 past cruises listed in his signature...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

I always thought the TV channels going away was related to the Cell phone satellites being turned on or off. 

“ I always thought “

that when the ship was at port, most everyone gets off the ship and goes ashore. Boy has that been proven a silly “ thought” on Oceania! In port, I’d have no way of knowing if the ship’s tv works or not.