Why would Norwegian do this ?

shipmate13

My daughter and son in law are flying from Scottsdale to Florida to take a cruise out of Port Canaveral with us in March. They added airfare through Norwegian when they booked the cruise.  They received their email today with the PDF file for their air flight.  Norwegian has them flying the day before the cruise and arriving in Orlando at 530pm the night before the cruise.  Because of that, they have to find a hotel to stay at and then pay for transportation to get to the cruise pier which I believe is about an hour and a half away.  I guess I am a little taken back at Norwegian for doing it that way.  I would think that they would be a little more accommodating and have their passengers fly to the airport CLOSEST to the pier and not a whole day before making them find a hotel and transportation too.  

Am I missing something???? Not being nasty about Norwegian as I like the cruise line alot but I am a little confused on this one.  Maybe taking flight arrangements through them was not a wise decision.  Lesson learned.  

MCO is the closest major airport to Port Canaveral.

A red-eye would work, but anything leaving the same morning as embarkation could be risky especially since they'll be losing 2 hours due to the time zone change.

Edited by WorkingForOBC
  • Like 16

5 minutes ago, WorkingForOBC said:

MCO is the closest airport to Port Canaveral 

Unless they are flying SpaceX that is. 

And as you can read on many threads here, there is a good chance that someone flying in the same day as the cruise departure has a great chance of missing it.

• Like 4

They can always find a hotel (granted it is an extra expense) with a free airport shuttle. Stay there for the night, then be dropped off at the airport to get on the shuttle the next day. Better to fly in the day before with the way flights are going nowadays. 

• Like 6

Why would you not want to come in a day before the cruise?  Any delays the day off and they potentially miss the cruise.  The recommendation by members on here would to always arrive the day before.

• Like 13

I agree - flying cross-country needs to be a trip where you'd go in a day early. Shoot - I won't fly the day of the cruise for my next one, even though I can get a direct flight to MCO from my home airport.

I live in Sacramento and have a cruise out of PC. I'm definitely arriving a day early and know I'm responsible for getting my own hotel and transportation. BUT, they were going to have me arrive on the same day (red-eye flight). I had to purposely ask for a 1-day deviation to arrive a day early. So, that part does surprise me that they were just given a deviation without requesting it. 

What airport were you expecting them to fly into? I'm assuming I'll go into MCO (I should get my flight info in the next couple of weeks for my 3/12 cruise)

There is a Hyatt Regency hotel actually IN the Orlando airport. We stayed there in December and we thought it was very nice! If they stay there, there is probably a Norwegian Cruise Line shuttle that can get them to the ship. We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise and we used their shuttle from the airport. It was very easy and convenient.  I hope you all have a great cruise!

Edited by LadyZolt
  • Like 2

I live in the Pacific Northwest and always fly to East Coast a day early for the cruise.  Usually I purchase a package from Norwegian that includes the cruise, precruise and sometimes post cruise hotel(s) and the transfer to and from the ship.  Less worry for this widow.

• Like 1

There is also an airport in Melbourne Florida which is a little closer distance wise, but a very similar drive time.  It is a very direct shot from the Orlando Airport (which is southeast of Orlando) to Port Canaveral on the Bee Line.  Like others, I would never fly from out west same day for a cruise. image.thumb.png.23b37c3a453d7ac47c47259a884cb28c.pngeline 

Edited by itsnotjustme
  • Like 2

make sure they were not charged for the shuttle by NCL.  Usually you are with the flight package unless you request the day or two deviation.  If they were charged for the shuttle, then they should head back to the airport on the morning of the cruise and catch the shuttle.  If not, then there are plenty of great options for shuttles.  You can go to the Fl departures forum here on CC to read about the different options.  I personally recommend Cortrans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shipmate13 said:

My daughter and son in law are flying from Scottsdale to Florida to take a cruise out of Port Canaveral with us in March. They added airfare through Norwegian when they booked the cruise.  They received their email today with the PDF file for their air flight.  Norwegian has them flying the day before the cruise and arriving in Orlando at 530pm the night before the cruise.  Because of that, they have to find a hotel to stay at and then pay for transportation to get to the cruise pier which I believe is about an hour and a half away.  I guess I am a little taken back at Norwegian for doing it that way.  I would think that they would be a little more accommodating and have their passengers fly to the airport CLOSEST to the pier and not a whole day before making them find a hotel and transportation too.  

Am I missing something???? Not being nasty about Norwegian as I like the cruise line alot but I am a little confused on this one.  Maybe taking flight arrangements through them was not a wise decision.  Lesson learned.  

Having flown from west to east it is an all day trip because of the 3 hour time difference. This is really an excellent flight arrangement. Other than a red eye, you couldn’t do it the day of the cruise.  Just book a hotel near the airport then go back the next morning and take NCL transportation to the port. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shipmate13 said:

You could ask NCL versus random strangers on Cruise Critic. 

Book a cheapy hotel near airport with a free shuttle. Then shuttle back to the airport in the morning and catch the “included” transportation. 

MCO is the closest airport to PC and it is less than an hour from MCO to PC. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipmate13 said:

Every flight that I've been on, that was booked by NCL included the Shuttle from the airport to the port. Thinking there may be a plan here that NCL just hasn't told you yet.

8 minutes ago, anyman said:

Every flight that I've been on, that was booked by NCL included the Shuttle from the airport to the port. Thinking there may be a plan here that NCL just hasn't told you yet.

If you arrive on the same day, they provide the shuttle. If you arrive a day (or two) early, it is refunded. I'm coming in a day early and was specifically told that I need to book my own hotel and transportation to the port. NCL will get me back to the airport when the cruise docks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anyman said:

How about the shuttle back, from the port back to the airport, Was that also included?