Royal Caribbean New Menus - Expected on all ships by end of February

5 hours ago, poocher said:

I’m on a cruise in May and the new menus are in my app already.  Have you looked at yours?

This ⬆️ is probably the only advantage to customers. Mine is also up for Allure in April.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:33 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

I wonder if they will at least allow you to leave stuff off?    For example, looking at the menus I can see myself removing the sides in order to have room for dessert.  

Because if the way the galley works, altering your order is extra work for the galley and your waitstaff.  It also increases the chance of error (your altered plate might inadvertently be delivered to someone at another table, leaving you both unhappy).  The busy waitstaff do not need more headaches.  Just order the regular dish and just don’t eat those unwanted side dishes if you want to save room for desert. 

10 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Because if the way the galley works, altering your order is extra work for the galley and your waitstaff.  It also increases the chance of error (your altered plate might inadvertently be delivered to someone at another table, leaving you both unhappy).  The busy waitstaff do not need more headaches.  Just order the regular dish and just don’t eat those unwanted side dishes if you want to save room for desert. 

Sorry, that's not the way a dining room should work.  Whether someone does not want something or quite possibly is allergic to something they should ask the waiter to withhold it from their plates.  Many a times there's a sauce or a condiment that I want changed or just don't like and I'll be damned if I should just eat what's on the plate.

Might as well eat in the windjammer and serve yourself.....

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bjlaac said:

Sorry, that's not the way a dining room should work.  Whether someone does not want something or quite possibly is allergic to something they should ask the waiter to withhold it from their plates.  Many a times there's a sauce or a condiment that I want changed or just don't like and I'll be damned if I should just eat what's on the plate.

I agree with you when it is a component of the dish such as a sauce but the post you are quoting was in response to an unwanted side dish to save room for dessert.  In THAT case, I think just moving it to the side is easier than requesting they remove it from already plated meals.

51 minutes ago, bjlaac said:

Now wait. You are making totally different arguments than the one to which I responded.  The person going on their first cruise is thinking of having sides omitted simply to save room for desert.  It was not because they are allergic or because the dislike the side.  I’m asserting this slows down everyone’s service when all they need do is not eat what they do not want.  

Having an allergy is different.  That person should be accommodated, probably by meeting with the Head waiter in advance.

Having a sauce you dislike over your food is also different…the note on the new menu raises the question of whether such requests will be honored…I hope they will, as I’d hate to think you’d be damned or feel you must eat in WJ.

• Like 3

Another note, I don't know if this is a "new menus" thing or an Enchantment thing or a since-2020 thing, but the desserts are way better than I remember! I almost never have had a memorable dessert in the Windjammer before and this cruise I've had several. Plus the brownies at Cafe Latte-tudes are amazing.

This has been the plus side of the entree options being "meh.". If they were better I wouldn't have room for dessert.

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Now wait. You are making totally different arguments than the one to which I responded.  The person going on their first cruise is thinking of having sides omitted simply to save room for desert.  It was not because they are allergic or because the dislike the side.  I’m asserting this slows down everyone’s service when all they need do is not eat what they do not want.  

Having an allergy is different.  That person should be accommodated, probably by meeting with the Head waiter in advance.

Having a sauce you dislike over your food is also different…the note on the new menu raises the question of whether such requests will be honored…I hope they will, as I’d hate to think you’d be damned or feel you must eat in WJ.

Well, removing the sides was the easiest of what I had been thinking about.  I would have thought at minimum just refraining from putting something on a plate would be possible.  Removing onions and/or peppers was my most common thought when I looked at the menus.   At the moment my brain is stuck at MDR being like McDonalds in the 70's, and NOT a restaurant.   As the MDR is with not-alterations-new-menu, it is less then WJ because at least there you get more selection, and it is also less than a Luby's because at least there you get your food at the right temp all the time (and you have more selection there too).   Do Luby's still exist?  

But regular restaurants aren’t serving thousands of people per meal.  Your dinner isn’t prepared when you order it.  Much is done in advance including I would think plating the sides with the main component added as plates are picked up.  So that baked potato you don’t want is already on the plate and removing it becomes an extra step.  As for unwanted ingredients, I think we have to wait for reports.  Personally I am hoping I can still order a larger portion or more than one serving of an appetizer as my entree with a couple of sides thrown in.  But not holding out a lot of hope for the same reason described above.

5 hours ago, malba2366 said:

These new menus completely remove the elevated dining that used to be part of mid to higher end cruising and was part of what made cruising a great value.  Obvious cost cutting and an attempt to push more guests into specialty restaurants.  This is what used to be seen only on value cruise lines like Carnival and MSC, but looks like RCCL is trying to do the same at a much higher cruise fare.

Lol I've never thought of RC as being "mid to higher end cruising". 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, poocher said:

But regular restaurants aren’t serving thousands of people per meal.  Your dinner isn’t prepared when you order it.  Much is done in advance including I would think plating the sides with the main component added as plates are picked up.  So that baked potato you don’t want is already on the plate and removing it becomes an extra step.  As for unwanted ingredients, I think we have to wait for reports.  Personally I am hoping I can still order a larger portion or more than one serving of an appetizer as my entree with a couple of sides thrown in.  But not holding out a lot of hope for the same reason described above.

And the kitchen in a regular restaurant isn't as large.   Kitchens and restaurants are scalable.   When they are serving meals to the same number of people every day this should NOT be a problem.  They have more space and more people than a restaurant kitchen.   

Also, this not modifying is a new thing, they had the same number of guests before and the same size kitchen.   It didn't suddenly get smaller.   

Now, maybe they are trying to get by with half the number of kitchen staff, and expecting me to eat rubber chicken because it was cooked 5 hours ago.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

My order:

Day 1 Welcome Aboard

Day 2 French

Day 3 Italian

Day 4 Caribbean

Day 5 Mexican

Day 6 Royal Night ("cold water Maine lobster")

Day 7 Bon Voyage

Whats wrong with these people...don't they know that WEDNESDAY is always Mexican night!? 🤣

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

And the kitchen in a regular restaurant isn't as large.   Kitchens and restaurants are scalable.   When they are serving meals to the same number of people every day this should NOT be a problem.  They have more space and more people than a restaurant kitchen.   

Also, this not modifying is a new thing, they had the same number of guests before and the same size kitchen.   It didn't suddenly get smaller.   

Now, maybe they are trying to get by with half the number of kitchen staff, and expecting me to eat rubber chicken because it was cooked 5 hours ago.  

Yes I’m sure staffing is an issue but I’ve been on 2 cruise in the last 10 months and not yet been served rubber chicken.  I am taking a wait and see attitude here.  I’m guessing I will like some things and not others. I won’t starve.

I would have thought that the new menu would be on Odyssey by now. We board in 2 weeks for our B2B and, as of today, it's still the old menu. However, we booked MTD and the dining section is only showing traditional dining on decks 3 and 4 with no mention of MTD. Hmmmmmm