Barbados prescription medication

Kcmellons

1 hour ago, Kcmellons said:

My son takes adhd medication does anyone know if I can take them to Barbados? 

There are many discussions about this, in general or for specific countries, on the "Disabled Travel" section of CC (even though it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with "disability"; it's the "medical" issue, etc.):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

We *strongly* believe that one should double check with each country, and then abide by whatever rules they have.  Many have virtually nothing special:  Pharmacy labeled containers, copies of the script (and we keep copies in the cloud, along with copies of other important papers).  Others require special permission for certain meds or certain quantities, and others prohibit some meds that might be OTC (over the counter) in our country (USA).  Japan was the most strict thus far, but all permissions/etc., were handled within about 24 hours thanks to email... except original formulation Sudafed, which is totally prohibited.

The chance of getting "caught" may be low, but when we are in some other country, we are careful to do it right.

Some ADHD meds *are* on restricted (not necessarily prohibited) lists, so I'd just get any approvals or have all documentation ready.

We loved our stay in Barbados, but unfortunately, I no longer remember what, if anything, we "did" in advance about meds.

Enjoy!  The water is just GORGEOUS there!

GC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kcmellons said:

No one is going to be checking your medications on a port stop. 

We've traveled all over the world (ports/airports/domestic/international) and even though I've always had my meds in their original bottle in my carry on no one has ever asked to see them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We've traveled all over the world (ports/airports/domestic/international) and even though I've always had my meds in their original bottle in my carry on no one has ever asked to see them.

Where did you see that the OP would only be doing a cruise port stop in Barbados?

It only happened to me once (not in Barbados), that I was quizzed about the meds that I had with me. But it did happen. Fortunately I'd done my research in advance and could provide the necessary information.

4 hours ago, Kcmellons said:

I would be surprised if you got questioned anywhere along a Caribbean cruise about the meds you're carrying on board.  VERY surprised.  

That said, looking at Barbados.org, it says to pack them in the original bottle and carry a copy of the prescription.  Go ahead and do that, just for peace of mind.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kcmellons said:

We are planning on flying in to catch the cruise and out again afterwards! No stays 

Ahhh…you are doing a fly/cruise, presumably from the UK?  I think that your checkin  and immigration may be done on the plane, so the best place to ask this question would be on the board here for the cruise line you are sailing.  People there will have experience with these cruises.  EM

On 1/8/2023 at 4:03 PM, Ashland said:

It was different 50 years ago when one’s physical appearance caused a detailed check of medications.

• Haha 1

The OP asks about Barbados, and some may not be aware that quite a few cruises actually embark from Barbados which means flying-in to the island and clearing Customs.  Ports along the way are generally not an issue. 

But if you are flying-in to a country such as Barbados orJapan (very strict drug rules), etc. it is incumbent upon the traveler to check with the authorities in that country, far in advance of their journey.  I will also mention that ADHD drugs are often on restricted lists (as is anything containing a narcotic) so folks need do their pre-trip homework.

Hank

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The OP asks about Barbados, and some may not be aware that quite a few cruises actually embark from Barbados which means flying-in to the island and clearing Customs.  Ports along the way are generally not an issue. 

But if you are flying-in to a country such as Barbados orJapan (very strict drug rules), etc. it is incumbent upon the traveler to check with the authorities in that country, far in advance of their journey.  I will also mention that ADHD drugs are often on restricted lists (as is anything containing a narcotic) so folks need do their pre-trip homework.

Hank

Very good point -- port stop vs embarkation point could make a big difference.