Need help confirming which one is shampoo and which one is soap

dhanakorn

During my last cruise on Epic, I was suspecting that my cabin steward mixed up the soap and the shampoo. 

I am thinking that the clear liquid on the right dispenser should be the body wash and the milky liquid on the left should be the shampoo. But my cabin steward insisted that the clear liquid is the shampoo. I wasn’t convinced so I bought my own soap and shampoo when we got off on the first port. They both smell the same. This bothers me a little bit since I’ll have another cruise with NCL coming up soon. 

Can anyone confirm that my cabin steward is right?

EB290068-72EA-4F05-B984-B2F191A89B85.thumb.jpeg.68747046497c00ed820934cb315ad6fa.jpeg

Just try trusting your cabin steward and the signage on the containers, you could also ask your fellow passengers what color their shampoo is and what color their body wash is that should make for an interesting conversation If at the very least a first.

• Like 1

I can't be of help but I just wanted to say that, even if the labels are correct, it would be very helpful to make the key words large and in different colors.  More than once I have had to step out of the shower to put my glasses on so I could figure out which was which!  And how about the manufacturers who make their conditioner bottles and shampoo bottles virtually identical or the bottles that don't have a flat top so you can't stand them upside down when they get low without them landing on your toes, lol???

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Davechipp74 said:

Just try trusting your cabin steward and the signage on the containers, you could also ask your fellow passengers what color their shampoo is and what color their body wash is that should make for an interesting conversation If at the very least a first.

Excellent idea but ask people on a different deck to be sure they have a different steward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

OMG....I am laughing so hard!  On our cruise my permed hair was so soft and conditioned the whole cruise.  It's never behaved this nicely on a cruise.  The last day when I was taking items out of the shower and when I had my glasses on, I took note of the fact that I had used body wash on my hair for two weeks!  The shampoo didn't hurt my other body parts either!

• Like 2
  • Haha 23

18 minutes ago, hernando52 said:

OMG....I am laughing so hard!  On our cruise my permed hair was so soft and conditioned the whole cruise.  It's never behaved this nicely on a cruise.  The last day when I was taking items out of the shower and when I had my glasses on, I took note of the fact that I had used body wash on my hair for two weeks!  The shampoo didn't hurt my other body parts either!

That's funny.  At the end of the day, it's all just soap.  As long as I have one of them, I'm good to go!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That's funny.  At the end of the day, it's all just soap.  As long as I have one of them, I'm good to go!

Seriously!  And if you can’t tell the difference when you use them, what does it matter! 😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Maybe it's just me, but I do *not* like the "bulk" items where they have been sitting there who-knows-how-long, and just keep getting topped up...  How clean is it at the bottom; how often is it thoroughly changed and the full container really *cleaned*?  😟

I'll bring my own or purchase unopened containers somewhere, thank you.

GC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dhanakorn said:

During my last cruise on Epic, I was suspecting that my cabin steward mixed up the soap and the shampoo. 

I am thinking that the clear liquid on the right dispenser should be the body wash and the milky liquid on the left should be the shampoo. But my cabin steward insisted that the clear liquid is the shampoo. I wasn’t convinced so I bought my own soap and shampoo when we got off on the first port. They both smell the same. This bothers me a little bit since I’ll have another cruise with NCL coming up soon. 

EB290068-72EA-4F05-B984-B2F191A89B85.thumb.jpeg.68747046497c00ed820934cb315ad6fa.jpeg

And your steward would give you bad information why??
The bottle he/she uses to refill the dispensers must also be labeled, so there’s very little chance you were given false information.

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Maybe it's just me, but I do *not* like the "bulk" items where they have been sitting there who-knows-how-long, and just keep getting topped up...  How clean is it at the bottom; how often is it thoroughly changed and the full container really *cleaned*?  😟

GC

Yep.  They should be cleaned out with soap on a regular basis!!!🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

GC

How often to you empty and wash the soft soap dispensers at your house? 

• Haha 4

I usually bring a bar of soap with me when I cruise. I just prefer it to the body wash. I will use the shampoo from the dispenser, but it wouldn't surprise me if I get it wrong occasionally and accidently use the body wash on my head. I don't have enough hair to worry about it, because I keep it very short and therefore maintenance free 🤣 

7 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I can't be of help but I just wanted to say that, even if the labels are correct, it would be very helpful to make the key words large and in different colors.  More than once I have had to step out of the shower to put my glasses on so I could figure out which was which!  And how about the manufacturers who make their conditioner bottles and shampoo bottles virtually identical or the bottles that don't have a flat top so you can't stand them upside down when they get low without them landing on your toes, lol???

Don't feel bad.....I"ve done the same thing. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dhanakorn said:

To answer your question:

The body wash is the green one, the conditioning shampoo is the non-transparent "white" one.

At least that has been the case on my many NCL cruises. I have a type of hair that would "protest strongly" and be impossible to comb, if I tried to use the body wash on my hair instead of the conditioning shampoo, so I would definitely note the difference if they were switched....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How is the conditioning shampoo? I'm not picky with my hair products, but I do like to use a separate conditioner but I hate to take up precious suitcase space with a container of conditioner. I have very thick hair. Thanks!

53 minutes ago, DMP609 said:

How is the conditioning shampoo? I'm not picky with my hair products, but I do like to use a separate conditioner but I hate to take up precious suitcase space with a container of conditioner. I have very thick hair. Thanks!

It is "OK", but not great (of course depending on hairtype). So with thick hair I would use the conditioning shampoo as shampoo PLUS bring a conditioner from home as well.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:28 PM, GeezerCouple said:

GC

Isn't it the bottom that gets emptied out first? You refill from the top, not the bottom on those....

Honestly, soap is soap. Unless you have a specific need for special products or are particular about your hair smelling a certain artificial way... soap is soap.

16 hours ago, DMP609 said:

Look into moving into a Haven room. They have separate containers for shampoo and conditioner. Although the bottles look identical, so it won't help the visually impaired folks.

image.png.9ce7d6e5e8660d4be5ce890105c1771a.png

• 1 month later...

Actually, neither one is "soap".   They are liquid surfactants which include synthetic ingredients like sodium lauryl ether sulfate and thickening, foaming agents.  They work equally well in hard or soft water.   The shampoo will have a small amount of conditioning agent, but is otherwise fairly similar to a body wash.  Many people would not notice a difference in how they work.

SOAP is a solid, anionic surfactant created from lye and fat...sodium stearate for example.  It does not work well in hard water, forming insoluble soap scum.   But it lathers particularly well and has a special feel.  

Fragrance is an additive to liquid "soap" and bar soap.  Has no affect on performance and does not identify one product from another.  The same perfume can be used in all three.  

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 8:55 PM, okpaddy said:

I usually bring a bar of soap with me when I cruise. I just prefer it to the body wash. 

Mrs Spiff is one who prefers the bar soap (I can go with the flow, but would prefer bar soap in the shower).  This is why I have about six small bars of soap in my Dopp kit that I've pilfered from hotel rooms I've stayed in.  They're small, and it makes the Mrs happy.

• Like 1