Missing Ports

maxy1234

Noordam is currently missing a number of scheduled calls and has in fact turned back to return to Sydney from New Zealand. Very bad weather approaching.

What is the usual arrangement regarding compensation in these circumstances.

You will get a refund of port fees for sure.  Any other compensation is legally not required per the cruise contract you signed but past experience is that HAL will offer something such as OBC or Future Cruise Credits......the ship should be sending a letter to everyone if that has been decided.

Is there a typhoon coming?   I'm very sorry your cruise has been so impacted.  It's a huge disappointment, I'm sure.

Please let us know what happens.

~Nancy

Been watching your weather. I am currently flying over on my way to Sydney. It’s getting a little bumpy but too dark to see anything. I will board on Saturday assuming she’s back by then! Just kidding- sounds like the Captain has everything under control.

Sorry about your missed ports. Have only gotten extra credit if we missed more than a couple but you never know. Stay safe!

• Like 2

Looks like Noordam is currently moored in Lyttleton/Christchurch.  With the cyclone centered on the North Island not sure if this is a make up port or just shelter but I'm hoping for a makeup port.

'

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

in a case of having to miss ports due to weather, outside of the control of the cruise line, any compensation about refund of port fees will probably be fairly small.

If the reason was something that the ship could control such as an engine problem then one would expect more.

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Huge earthquake also in Indonesia - 7.6, with tsunami warnings down to  Australia.

oh boy Noordam is not having luck with either country.  Hoping the Tsunami doesn't go down the coast to Sydney but might affect ships heading to that port 

3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Huge earthquake also in Indonesia - 7.6, with tsunami warnings down to  Australia.

But only the Territory and maybe Cape York - andnow lifted. Physics 101 wasn't going to affect the Tasman Sea 

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Looks like Noordam is currently moored in Lyttleton/Christchurch.  With the cyclone centered on the North Island not sure if this is a make up port or just shelter but I'm hoping for a makeup port.

'

Roy

That was scheduled after she missed Fiordland and Dunedin. The whole of the South island is forecast for sunny weather - and Wellington is fine but a bit cloudy - this is a north of the north island and the east coat thing 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lissie said:

But only the Territory and maybe Cape York - andnow lifted. Physics 101 wasn't going to affect the Tasman Sea 

Yes, the possible tsunami impact was only in the part of Australia near Indonesia.

I was flummoxed, and did to know if one calls this "northern Australia" or "southern Australia",  is since this is "down under" from my own North American orientation. Which would make it "northern" Australia, even though it is southern from the south pole ...... ??????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OlsSalt said:

Yes, the possible tsunami impact was only in the part of Australia near Indonesia.

I was flummoxed, and did to know if one calls this "northern Australia" or "southern Australia",  is since this is "down under" from my own North American orientation. Which would make it "northern" Australia, even though it is southern from the south pole ...... ??????

Hmmm - although I live in NZ now I've spent plenty of time in Australia including time living there. ALL of Australia is north of the south pole (that's why its called the south pole). And yes they do talk about northern Australia - particularly as that climate zone covers  2 states and the Northern Territory. 

i think you are confusing the equator - which is north of ALL of Australia (but not by much) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lissie said:

i think you are confusing the equator - which is north of ALL of Australia (but not by much) 

Nope, just don't know what to call the "top" or "bottom" of Australia- north or south. But again what even is the top or bottom? - when the entire  continent is "down under" -does it orient to former mother country England - as the "true north", even though it is the opposite if using both the South Pole and equator as the benchmarks.

(Even though I am confusing myself here, this is an important issue of culturally sensitive nomenclature. )

Yet, NZ has a North and South Island -which does still orient to this North American England hegemony, does it not?

Trying to be open to my own prior Anglo-American center of the universe mentality, and tip the global map upside down - so hard to do, after so many decades of visual programming for this "northern " hemisphere dweller - who always forgets to check which way the water swirls down the drain when traveling on one side of the equator or the other.

Bottom line - is the part of Australia closest to Indonesia - upper, lower, northern or southern Australia?

On 1/10/2023 at 12:17 PM, lissie said:

That was scheduled after she missed Fiordland and Dunedin. The whole of the South island is forecast for sunny weather - and Wellington is fine but a bit cloudy - this is a north of the north island and the east coat thing 

@lissie  Noordam did not miss Fordland and Dunedin, in fact, DH spoke with passengers off the Noordam in  Dunedin on Friday 6th.  We both saw  many Noordam passengers looking around the city and shopping.

16 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Nope, just don't know what to call the "top" or "bottom" of Australia- north or south. But again what even is the top or bottom? - when the entire  continent is "down under" -does it orient to former mother country England - as the "true north", even though it is the opposite if using both the South Pole and equator as the benchmarks.

(Even though I am confusing myself here, this is an important issue of culturally sensitive nomenclature. )

Yet, NZ has a North and South Island -which does still orient to this North American England hegemony, does it not?

Trying to be open to my own prior Anglo-American center of the universe mentality, and tip the global map upside down - so hard to do, after so many decades of visual programming for this "northern " hemisphere dweller - who always forgets to check which way the water swirls down the drain when traveling on one side of the equator or the other.

Bottom line - is the part of Australia closest to Indonesia - upper, lower, northern or southern Australia?

Is the southern hemisphere north of the northern hemisphere?

Do Australians have to flip all their maps upside down?

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 6:58 PM, erewhon said:

@lissie  Noordam did not miss Fordland and Dunedin, in fact, DH spoke with passengers off the Noordam in  Dunedin on Friday 6th.  We both saw  many Noordam passengers looking around the city and shopping.

I’m on the Noordam. We did Fjordland and Dunedin as scheduled. Skipped Picton for 2 nights in Wellington, then Napier then an unscheduled Christchurch then raced the cyclone out the Cook Strait for Sydney skipping Tauranga and Auckland.

More of a lick of NZ than a taste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ozkarnak-

Thanks for letting us know your route. I board on Saturday and appreciate the update. My marine app looked like you did Wellington twice so that was the 2 nights. Glad you got to see some things- and you took a different route back!

Looks like we may have some windy weather heading south to Tasmania. That’s  cruising!

May I ask- how was the ship? Hope you had a great time in spite of the missed ports.

Sue

Anyone on the Noordam now (or just off it), can you tell us how the internet was while cruising NZ and AUS?  We will be going next month and want to know if it is fast enough to be worth purchasing for the entire cruise.  We have found on prior cruises to northern latitudes it can be pretty poor.