Electric Scooters Pros and Cons

LadyDay73

I am trying to decide whether or not to rent a three wheel electric scooter for an upcoming cruise. 

I can walk, just not long distances without frequent stops.  I am not going on any excursions.  I do plan on getting off the ship to go to Half Moon Cay, the private island.   

Going up stairs can be difficult.  Going down stairs, not so much.

Is it difficult getting around the ship on one?  I know that you have to store and charge the scooter in your cabin and that you can't take it on the tender.

I am interested in hearing the scooter pros and cons from someone that has rented/used a scooter in the past. 

All suggestions and comments are appreciated.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, LadyDay73 said:

I am trying to decide whether or not to rent a three wheel electric scooter for an upcoming cruise. 

I can walk, just not long distances without frequent stops.  I am not going on any excursions.  I do plan on getting off the ship to go to Half Moon Cay, the private island.   

Is it difficult getting around the ship on one?  I know that you have to store and charge the scooter in your cabin and that you can't take it on the tender.

I am interested in hearing the scooter pros and cons from someone that has rented/used a scooter in the past. 

I suggest that you pose your query on the Disability thread on CC.

I have received a lot of information there.

My two cents worth.

I have a strong dislike for three wheel scooters, while they are perhaps more manouverable, they are less stable than 4 wheel versions, but in my opinion an electric wheelchair beats them both hands down. The scooter with its tiller steering is probably more intuitive than the joystick for many.

If, as you noted, you are, in fact, still able to walk (albeit with limitations) you might want to recognize your abilities -- and walk.  You will still most probably want to use elevators, either on foot or on a scooter, and you would not be able to bring a scooter to Half Moon Cay - or on a tender.  

To the extent you are able to function on foot, you might want to continue to do so as long as you can. This is the advice I give my wife - which she thus far accepts.  

There is little point in accepting immobility any sooner than necessary. Most doctors and physical therapists would agree that continuing to exercise (to the extent not a real hardship) is the better course.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

You and only you can assess your limitations with respect to a cruise ship.  There is a LOT of walking involved, even just on the ship itself.  DH is able to walk, but the ships are different.  There is the rocking of the ship to contend with (if you have any balance issues), as well as the long distances.  He normally will rent a scooter for the cruise and is always glad that he does.  There is congestion issues at most elevators, but if you are traveling with someone who can help you navigate those crowds, the rest is easy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If, as you noted, you are, in fact, still able to walk (albeit with limitations) you might want to recognize your abilities -- and walk.  You will still most probably want to use elevators, either on foot or on a scooter, and you would not be able to bring a scooter to Half Moon Cay - or on a tender.  

To the extent you are able to function on foot, you might want to continue to do so as long as you can. This is the advice I give my wife - which she thus far accepts.  

There is little point in accepting immobility any sooner than necessary. Most doctors and physical therapists would agree that continuing to exercise (to the extent not a real hardship) is the better course.

And what do you expect someone to do who can walk, but the distance or time is limited? Only go tha5 far from the cabin.

Me I can walk, sometimes 1 walking stick, more often 2: a Walker a wheelchair, but my walking distance is limited (after about 50 metres I am in agony, though the distance varies) more importantly I have frequent falls, so yes I do walk, yes I do exercise but YES I also use my chair.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

And what do you expect someone to do who can walk, but the distance or time is limited? Only go tha5 far from the cabin.

Me I can walk, sometimes 1 walking stick, more often 2: a Walker a wheelchair, but my walking distance is limited (after about 50 metres I am in agony, though the distance varies) more importantly I have frequent falls, so yes I do walk, yes I do exercise but YES I also use my chair.

I simply responded to OP’s question: whether or not to rent a scooter.

Your experience might argue strongly in favor of renting a scooter;  but a person who who “…can walk, just not long distances without frequent stops…”, and who also plans to get into a tender to go to Half Moon Cay, would appear to have options broader than yours.  I merely voiced an opinion, as requested.

• Like 1

The ships are BIG!  (Not news).  900 ft long.  That's 300 yards.  An American football field is 100 yards long, so we're talking 3 football fields long!

Yes, you can walk, stop, walk, stop, etc.  And be very tired by the time you get from your cabin to where ever, even w/taking the elevators.  [Yes, I've been "there". Agony!]

Rent a scooter & try it!  Be sure to get one that is only 19-20 inches wide if you don't have a Handicapped cabin; the standard cabin door ways are only 22" wide.  Lots more info about this on the Disabled forum.

The hardest part of using a scooter onboard, besides the cabin doorways, is getting into/out of the elevators.  Other passengers generally aren't very thoughtful.  Be prepared to wait.

I've been renting a scooter for several years now.  Yes, I can walk, but not for very long or very far.  I certainly can't navigate a cruise ship w/o a scooter!  I've taken the scooter ashore in a few ports.

Good luck & enjoy!

By all means, if you think you need an ECV, then rent one. Only you know your limitations, and there is no reason to be exhausted or in pain just getting around the ship. Only someone who hasn't lived with mobility limitations would suggest otherwise.

The disability forum may help to answer more of your questions, but the previous comment about renting a narrow ECV to fit through the door of a regular cabin is IMPORTANT.

• Like 1

I don't have a mobility problem but if I did and the money was not as issue my attitude would be that it would be better to rent the scooter and not use it much or at all instead of not renting it and wishing that you did.

DON

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, LadyDay73 said:

You sure CAN take it on the tender to Half Moon Cay! We went last May, husband took wheelchair, there were 4 others with scooters on our tender.

8 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Pointing out the obvious:  If you rent the scooter and take it on board, you don't have to use it all the time ... but if you don't rent it, you'll not have the use of it.  

Of course  -- but the question raised while iinitiating this thread was whether or not to RENT a scooter, not whether or not to use one.

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Pointing out the obvious:  If you rent the scooter and take it on board, you don't have to use it all the time ... but if you don't rent it, you'll not have the use of it.  

This and post #12.  What I understand from the OP,  this is a good approach.