World Cruise 2023 - Occasionally Live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

16 hours ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Their transit is incredibly cheap. We arrived 10 days prior to the Island and spent 3 days in Sydney. We took a r/t ferry to Manly and the train(s) r/t to the Blue Mountains (2+ hrs each way) and the local bus around the Blue Mountains. After all of that for 3 days; we were charged $11.72USD for all of the transportation. Wow!

That is amazing, thank you for sharing your story.  We keep waiting to hear from our credit card company for updated charges, but so far only $0.69 for a 45 minute round trip bus ride!

• Like 1

Itinerary Change

Due to the strong winds and weather conditions forecast, the captain has cancelled our port of Darwin, Australia.

This additional sea day will make it six sea days between our last port of Cairns, Australia and our next port of Komodo Island, Indonesia.

Of course we are all disappointed.

World Cruise 2025

Yesterday’s Princess Event Listings (the Patter) noted an event at 9:15 pm “Cruising with Princess:  A Special Announcement”.

We were already in the Explorer’s Lounge for a trivia game, so stayed when it ended.  The dance band played Kool and the Gang’s “Celebration” and then the Princess Dancers performed while decked out in nautical themed costumes.  A large cake decorated with the writing “World Cruise 2025” was wheeled out and the Future Cruise Director addressed the audience.

World Cruise 2025 will be 116 days RT from Fort Lauderdale (Jan. 5) or LA (Jan. 20).  The full WC will encompass 51 destinations in 27 countries on six continents.  There will be first time visits to Bar, Montenegro, Taranto, Italy, Patmos and Volos, Greece and 11 late night port calls.  Princess will return to Alexandria for visits to Cairo and the pyramids and Giza.

The gentleman gave his spiel and when he finished someone from the audience yelled out “What ship??”

“Island Princess” was the reply.

There were some audible groans from the audience and he quickly answered “After a six week dry-dock it will be Island Princess 2.0”

Not entirely satisfied, someone else answered “We’ve heard that before.” 

So obviously passengers feel some angst about this voyage and ship.  We have encountered numerous passengers who have a number of world cruises already under their belt.  So, our newbie experiences (which have generally been good) obviously cannot compare to theirs.

There was no information at this time on pricing.  We provided our email and cabin number and expect further information in the next few days.  So, when that occurs I will update this thread.

Here is a pic of the itinerary from the handout we received.

h1.thumb.JPG.1e63a95ae145ca9478c1190241301c27.JPG

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

World Cruise 2025

Yesterday’s Princess Event Listings (the Patter) noted an event at 9:15 pm “Cruising with Princess:  A Special Announcement”.

We were already in the Explorer’s Lounge for a trivia game, so stayed when it ended.  The dance band played Kool and the Gang’s “Celebration” and then the Princess Dancers performed while decked out in nautical themed costumes.  A large cake decorated with the writing “World Cruise 2025” was wheeled out and the Future Cruise Director addressed the audience.

World Cruise 2025 will be 116 days RT from Fort Lauderdale (Jan. 5) or LA (Jan. 20).  The full WC will encompass 51 destinations in 27 countries on six continents.  There will be first time visits to Bar, Montenegro, Taranto, Italy, Patmos and Volos, Greece and 11 late night port calls.  Princess will return to Alexandria for visits to Cairo and the pyramids and Giza.

The gentleman gave his spiel and when he finished someone from the audience yelled out “What ship??”

“Island Princess” was the reply.

There were some audible groans from the audience and he quickly answered “After a six week dry-dock it will be Island Princess 2.0”

Not entirely satisfied, someone else answered “We’ve heard that before.” 

So obviously passengers feel some angst about this voyage and ship.  We have encountered numerous passengers who have a number of world cruises already under their belt.  So, our newbie experiences (which have generally been good) obviously cannot compare to theirs.

There was no information at this time on pricing.  We provided our email and cabin number and expect further information in the next few days.  So, when that occurs I will update this thread.

Here is a pic of the itinerary from the handout we received.

h1.thumb.JPG.1e63a95ae145ca9478c1190241301c27.JPG

Why the groans about the Island Princess for a world cruise for people who obviously booked the 2023 WC since they are on the ship now?  Are there any real bad points to the ship or is it just perceptions/expectations by people who maybe didn't do due diligence in their research of the ship before booking a long cruise,?

• Like 2

My husband and I look forward to your postings everyday.  We don't pop open a Beer like tml1230😄 because we read it first thing in the morning, but we are really enjoying it.   We are so sorry to hear about all your missing ports.   That really sucks but it's what happens.  Fingers crossed the rest of the trip will be cancellation free!!!

Thank you so much for the info on the 2025 World Cruise!!!!  My husband and I are booked on the 2024 but are also interested in the 2025 so we really appreciate the info and providing the port information.   Some amazing ports and places we've never been to.

• Thanks 1

With the rollout of the new coffee package this past week, there have been reports from several ships that the option to exchange the Elite beverage setup for two coffee "cards" is no longer allowed.

Can you find out if that will also be the case on the Island Princess when your next segment starts?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Other posted segments include 101 day LA to FLL, 66 day FLL to Dubai, 51 day LA to Dubai, 50 day Dubai to FLL and 65 day Dubai to LA.

Yeah, they don't have as much flexibility. 

The Dubai to FLL could work.  Fly in to Dubai early to experience it and then you get Suez Canal and Petra, plus the really large number of ports all around the Med (look at the map and how concentrated it is in that area).

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 8:07 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Why the groans about the Island Princess for a world cruise for people who obviously booked the 2023 WC since they are on the ship now?  Are there any real bad points to the ship or is it just perceptions/expectations by people who maybe didn't do due diligence in their research of the ship before booking a long cruise,?

I honestly do not know the answer to that.  Perhaps the announcement came at a bad time when we just had a cancelled port in Australia (after three cancelled ports in NZ).  Frustrations levels are high.  We also do not have much coming up in the way of new entertainment as we were supposed to get new entertainers in Darwin.

As mentioned earlier, we have been happy with our cabin, the internet service, the food is good (albeit repetitive) and the staff is amazing.  The cruise has met our expectations and any minor issues we experienced were resolved to our satisfaction.

Other more seasoned WC travelers perhaps had higher expectations?  It might be a case that we cannot compare this cruise to those past cruises. (We don't know what we are missing).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

I honestly do not know the answer to that.  Perhaps the announcement came at a bad time when we just had a cancelled port in Australia (after three cancelled ports in NZ).  Frustrations levels are high.  We also do not have much coming up in the way of new entertainment as we were supposed to get new entertainers in Darwin.

Other more seasoned WC travelers perhaps had higher expectations?  It might be a case that we cannot compare this cruise to those past cruises. (We don't know what we are missing).

Well, we were on the 2020WC and now the Island Princess and this is no way close to the quality of cruise we were having in 2020.

Here are just some examples:  No enrichment speaker for  20 days until Auckland, Many wines that are part of drink package not available from day 1, ran out of some spirits after Hawaii, food quality is no way in comparison ( low quality beef, many repeat meals, lobster twice in 30 days, fish selection is corvina, barramundi, tilapia) same musicians have been on now for over 40 days- no changes to the bands.  Many excuses on why we don't have things on this cruise.  I personally would cancel the beverage package if I could as i would be dollars ahead when you are getting low quality drinks ( yellowtail as a premium wine??  really?).  I will say after the big crew shortage in LA, things have improved on service.  Since we just missed a big port for supplies, it will be tough until singapore.  This is NOT your Princess cruise you're accustom to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

As mentioned earlier, we have been happy with our cabin, the internet service, the food is good (albeit repetitive) and the staff is amazing.  The cruise has met our expectations and any minor issues we experienced were resolved to our satisfaction.

Thanks to you and JABTPS for your insights.  I've been on over fifty cruises on several lines thus far and only had one cruise that I could hardly wait for the cruise to be over.  That was because of the poor design of the ship overall and the poor design of the cabins - the NCL Epic.

On all other cruises, I've been able to find something to eat somewhere on the ship, a shady place to read and watch the sea, and somewhere to get a wee dram in the evening while listening to some low key strings or guitar.

I suspect that a WC on the Island Princess will work just fine for me   I figure you gotta be somewhere, so why not on a ship?

• Like 6

On 3/1/2023 at 8:24 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks to you and JABTPS for your insights.  I've been on over fifty cruises on several lines thus far and only had one cruise that I could hardly wait for the cruise to be over.  That was because of the poor design of the ship overall and the poor design of the cabins - the NCL Epic.

On all other cruises, I've been able to find something to eat somewhere on the ship, a shady place to read and watch the sea, and somewhere to get a wee dram in the evening while listening to some low key strings or guitar.

I suspect that a WC on the Island Princess will work just fine for me   I figure you gotta be somewhere, so why not on a ship?

We even have a bagpiper on board that occasionally plays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/28/2023 at 4:12 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

This additional sea day will make it six sea days between our last port of Cairns, Australia and our next port of Komodo Island, Indonesia.

Can you confirm please if the Visa on Arrival was required for your stop in Komodo ?

If so, were people getting this themselves or having Princess do it onboard ?

What was the cost please ?

Thanks for all the posts & info.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Can you confirm please if the Visa on Arrival was required for your stop in Komodo ?

If so, were people getting this themselves or having Princess do it onboard ?

What was the cost please ?

Thanks for all the posts & info.

Princess did process our visa-on-arrival for Indonesia.  Many were surprised / upset that the cost applied to their account was $60 per person.  However, this upcoming charge was noted in my Travel Summary of Jan. 4, 2023.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Komodo Island, Indonesia

“They hardly ever eat people” was a casual remark about the Komodo Dragons during the port talk on Komodo Island. 

Yikes !

With that thought bouncing around our brains, we waited a little nervously in the Wheelhouse Bar for our tender to this port.  Only guests with pre-booked Princess or private excursions would be allowed to visit the island.  In fact we had to leave our passports for the Indonesian officials, had to show proof of an excursion to Guest Services and fill out a customs document to get the opportunity to go ashore.

Komodo National Park is composed of numerous smaller islands and the larger islands of Rinca, Padar and Komodo.  The park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  It is the sole natural home to a few thousand  giant monitor lizards known as Komodo Dragons due to their appearance and fierce nature.  The park is also home to a large variety of other marine life and flora and fauna – but we are here for the namesake lizards.

The dragons can grow to nearly ten feet long and weigh 150 – 200 pounds or more.  Opportunistic carnivores, they can eat 80% of their body weight in one meal.  Whole !

(Hmm, give me a second to do a little math here.  Whew, unless he comes back for seconds, I am in the clear.  But DW  might be just the right weight for a hungry dragon’s lunch.) 

Passengers are warned that any excursion here will be strenuous, and that starts at tender disembarkation.  We need to make our way off the tender and then up steep stone stairs to reach land.  Once we make our way down the long pier, we meet up with our tour group.  This private tour consists of 15 passengers, a guide from the National Park, and two guards.  Armed with sticks!  Not to worry, the sticks have prongs at the end of them.  Oh boy.  One guard will be in the lead, the other taking the rear, to presumably protect us from sneaky human seeking dragons.

The tour is very well organized, we all arrive at nearly the same time, our guide checks  our names on his clipboard and off we go.

We make our way through the rustic path which is often muddy and filled with rocks, roots and tree branches we must dodge.  All at once we are greeted by our first dragon that seems to be waiting patiently and posing for photos from the paparazzi.  Look at those claws!

We round a corner and the big guy is only ten feet away.  Earlier this morning I had put a large zoom lens on my camera anticipating we would be some distance away from the dragons.  I needed to switch to my regular lens since we are so close.

As we follow the path to the watering hole we see a few more dragons and we all take many pictures.  No one attempts a too-close selfie thank goodness.

We walk on and stop occasionally to learn about the island and its inhabitants from our tour guide.  At times the trail narrows down and we march single file.  We visit an abandoned Komodo Dragon nesting site and learn about their life cycle.

The weather is very warm, but not too sunny, and no precipitation in the morning forecast.

Eventually we reach a fork in the road and the guide asks who wants to climb up further to a grassy observation point.  Most continue up the hill and climb the rudimentary steps.  Some wait and we join them later.  At the top we get a nice view of the harbor and the Island Princess far in the distance.

I chat with our guide and he says we are very lucky.  We have probably already seen at least a half dozen large dragons.  He has sometimes taken tours out and they have unfortunately seen no dragons.  The dragons we have encountered seem more sedentary than I expected.  His reply was that was because they had recently eaten.  Hmm, I wonder if someone slipped some gummies into the Purina Dragon Chow.

At the conclusion of the tour we are left outside the “gift shop.”  This is a large tarp covered area with about 20 or more tables on each side.  Each vendor sold almost the identical items and all promised to give me the best price, lol.  I looked interestingly at one handmade item and the quoted price of $50 dropped to $40 and then $35 before I could even say anything.  On my return, after visiting many other booths, the price offered to me was $20.  Sold!  We both were happy.

On our return to the tender pier we noted a few baby dragons only a few feet long darting across the walkway.

There is also a very large mature dragon sitting under a tree.  The rangers feel he is too close to the public walking area, so they gently prod and guide him as he slowly lumbers towards the beach area.

I take a final picture as he gazes out to the sea.

1.thumb.JPG.2cefb9b28e9515d5eada0964d162eb9b.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.17170d2b50e6272c12a232efad39f47b.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.f45f414bab4a30a9aa22c06c6a121b77.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.4fa853918b9689b9d33b024acc6de16b.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.619687fbfd9cce093f9a58fcfb836fb3.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.3025b7aacd07a29de9bac6cdb563a065.JPG

7_2.thumb.JPG.5c50700c62c8be4d0e7ae8d2ebadfac6.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.f2fc32f8267d0125f8b47ac3163faf79.JPG

9.thumb.JPG.015939ccffcc46266879914138eeaaa8.JPG

10.thumb.JPG.e8e9c6072e24f41287e25aab3cfe3642.JPG

11.thumb.JPG.7c349f88699675228c19a2b97b790e55.JPG

12_2.thumb.JPG.aaaa9a49a68852053ee8c3c679eb922d.JPG

13.thumb.JPG.b9d44ae68c715f0f871c77d7c4d9c969.JPG

14.thumb.JPG.eae2a9342c3fbfe71c666edc8051ba0a.JPG

15.thumb.JPG.3a86ab644610d104faec66c977584302.JPG

16.thumb.JPG.4eb0b293cc889393796785231625b6ba.JPG

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

A few years ago I did a private tour at Komodo Is. that include the island tour and then a couple hour snorkeling tour - less than the cost of the ship island tour alone. 

I had seen the dragons at a couple zoos but the island tour was a whole world better. That being said, I still felt that this island is more like a large wildlife park with the animals free to roam, but still managed to a degree.  The water pond is man made to entice the dragons to a common area for viewing.  The dragons are control fed so that passengers don't see killings or the tearing part of dead bodies.  People live on the island and they are not being attacked. 

Also, the dragons don't kill and eat right away like animals such as lions do - the dragons do a small bite which poison's the animals and then wait for it to drop dead.  The main prey are types of wild pig and deer.   

Defiantly doing once. and if doing private needs to be well preplanned. 

• Thanks 2

@We_like_to_cruise- thank you for this exceptional live!  
We have enjoyed 2 cruises on the Island - Panama Canal full transit and Alaska.

They were both prior to the major changes to the ship.  

We will be on the Island for a B2B to the Baltics from Southampton to Copenhagen and Norway and Iceland from Copenhagen to Southampton this summer and can’t wait!  We will be sailing in our first aft-facing balcony.

I have a strange question.  In the buffet, are the coffee cups plastic or ceramic?  I cannot drink my hot tea from a plastic cup so I usually bring a ceramic one from home.  We were on the Sky a few weeks ago and they had ceramic cups in the buffet.  I will be excited if I don’t have to pack my mugs!  

Thanks and wishing you continued smooth sailing!

• Like 1