CPS (cruise parking) Southampton price increases wef 11Jan23? +40%?

RaspberryCremeBrulee

Be aware!!!

We were considering booking CPS for longer cruise later this year.

However..... 24 nights which was previously showing as £252 has now shot up to £353.

Spoke with a lady at CPS who advised that prices went up yesterday, and it would appear that this increase is in line with instructions from Carnival UK.

How can such an increase be justified?

CPS would not consider any price reduction.

We have checked a P&O and a Princess 24 nights cruise on CPS site and both are now showing £353.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

Be aware!!!

However..... 24 nights which was previously showing as £252 has now shot up to £353.

Spoke with a lady at CPS who advised that prices went up yesterday, and it would appear that this increase is in line with instructions from Carnival UK.

We have checked a P&O and a Princess 24 nights cruise on CPS site and both are now showing £353.

I would think that the competition and markets authority may have an Interest. Sounds like a 3rd party Controlling prices.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

Be aware!!!

And I'm sure P&O won't increase the OBC on Select fares when passenger don't take the parking/coach option. ☹️

I have booked with CPS for 35 night Ventura cruise and paid £100, this was a few weeks ago, not sure what it would be now.

10 minutes ago, Starburst 21 said:

I have booked with CPS for 35 night Ventura cruise and paid £100, this was a few weeks ago, not sure what it would be now.

I just had a quick look and this 35 night cruise is still showing as £100 so I did a 14 night Arvia cruise for the beginning of April and it's showing as £243 😲

CPS that is shocking!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

On 2nd January we paid £162 for 2 weeks in April.

I just got an online a quote for our June cruise same car £243. 

I think that I will cancel the hotel that we have booked for June and book the coach.

I don't have the option of getting the coach as our nearest pick-up point is Bristol.  It is easier for us to travel up by train.

The £100 price has been for some longer cruises this winter, so that does not seem to have a bearing beyond that.

Earlier this week we were looking for parking for our 30 night Canada/US cruise next September + the one week cruise before that, (37 nights in total).  We checked with CPS and were given a very high price, though cannot rember the precise amount.  We then went to the parking4cruises website and found the price to be less than half that (£210, less our loyalty discount), so we booked the latter nippily in case it changed 🙂

We had previously been thinking of ringing Elizabeth House Hotel for the Aug/Sept dates so used the parking only section of their website to get a price, (since otherwise they said book for the night's accomodation, then ring to ask for parking price).  Parking only for that 37 nights came out at £585!!  So we did not bother exploring that Hotel option any further.

Certainly worth looking at P4C imo, as long as they are not following suit.  Glad we have that big one booked now.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

Well, thought I better check the prices for our forthcoming cruises:

Aurora 30 nights: CPS - £371.  P4C - £171

Arcadia Worldie 24: CPS - £160.  P4C - £323

Ventura 35 nights: CPS - £160.  P4C - £189

First time we will be using CPS for several years.

Thanks again RaspberryCremeBrulee for focussing everyone's mind  I'm sure the last time I looked for parking prices for our worldie CPS was near the £600 figure.  Gobsmacked that they are half the price of P4C on this occasion.

• Like 1

I am wondering if it is more to do with Carnival wanting to book more parking than in previous years, because of the large amounts of OBC given with some cruise deals recently.  We have a 12 night fjords booked a couple of months back with oodles of OBC, so we took the parking option when we booked, instead of even more obc.  With less obc, as previously, we would have booked parking elsewhere. 

So perhaps more an effect from extra demand from Carnival to book parking, rather than Carnival actually asking for the cost of booking parking independently to rise. 

Edited by tring

A far cheaper alternative than CPS would be to park in one of Southampton City Council's multi storey car parks. They have rates specifically designed for long-stay cruise passengers.

Parking for cruises and long stay visitors (southampton.gov.uk)

Eastgate Street Multi storey car park is £5 for the first day and £4/day thereafter, making parking for a 24 day cruise £97.   You take a ticket on entry and pay on exit.  It is about 15 minutes walk from Ocean terminal. You could drop your luggage off first at the port, then walk back over once you've parked. 

There is a slightly cheaper option car parking option which is a bit closer walk to the Mayflower terminal. You can park in the Ibis/Novotel car park which will cost £3.90/day + £0.99 booking fee. You don't book through Ibis/Novotel themselves, but through a 3rd party. I'm not sure if I can mention the website by name, but it's a website which mostly deals with 'park on my drive' type trade, but clearly they sell spaces for larger commercial operators too.  Parking at the Holiday Inn is also available on the same website, but is more expensive than Ibis/Novotel or a council car park.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NavyPanda said:

A far cheaper alternative than CPS would be to park in one of Southampton City Council's multi storey car parks. They have rates specifically designed for long-stay cruise passengers.

Parking for cruises and long stay visitors (southampton.gov.uk)

Eastgate Street Multi storey car park is £5 for the first day and £4/day thereafter, making parking for a 24 day cruise £97.   You take a ticket on entry and pay on exit.  It is about 15 minutes walk from Ocean terminal. You could drop your luggage off first at the port, then walk back over once you've parked. 

There is a slightly cheaper option car parking option which is a bit closer walk to the Mayflower terminal. You can park in the Ibis/Novotel car park which will cost £3.90/day + £0.99 booking fee. You don't book through Ibis/Novotel themselves, but through a 3rd party. I'm not sure if I can mention the website by name, but it's a website which mostly deals with 'park on my drive' type trade, but clearly they sell spaces for larger commercial operators too.  Parking at the Holiday Inn is also available on the same website, but is more expensive than Ibis/Novotel or a council car park.

Some, myself included, would not consider parking there cars at a council multi storey car park or hotel car park which are open to the public with no security for duration of a cruise just to save a few pounds. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Technoman2 said:

Aparently the price of parking with Triangle parking including taxi transfer to and from port is £146 . Never used them so no idea if they are any good.

If embarking and disembarking at Ocean no taxi would be necessary as it is walkable. The only problem or risk is if at last minute your ship berths at a different terminal than expected i.e. Mayflower then you have to get your own taxi back to your car. The only reason to book parking with taxi included is if you are embarking at Mayflower as it is a fair distance away.

Edited by majortom10

Thanks everyone for your comments since my original post, and hope all manage to book parking, if required, at acceptable cost.

We have now gone ahead and booked with P4C for our 24n cruise.  Our preference is to have parking in secure area, especially for a longer cruise.  We haven't used P4C before but based upon comments we have seen/heard we are hopeful that we will have a positive experience.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

Thanks everyone for your comments since my original post, and hope all manage to book parking, if required, at acceptable cost.

We have now gone ahead and booked with P4C for our 24n cruise.  Our preference is to have parking in secure area, especially for a longer cruise.  We haven't used P4C before but based upon comments we have seen/heard we are hopeful that we will have a positive experience.

We’ve used both and you will be fine with P4C. Although you have to walk to and from the nearest short stay car park, you avoid the holding lines that CPS use so it can actually be a lot quicker. Also, returning from your cruise it’s often a shorter walk to the short stay car park than where your car is parked with CPS so, again, quicker.

CPS prices tend to be more expensive because vast numbers of their customers are using them as part of a package (such as ‘free parking’ with P&O), but whilst we book Select, we always price match the extra OBC on offer versus the cost of booking parking with P4C. 

• Like 2