CPS (cruise parking) Southampton price increases wef 11Jan23? +40%?

RaspberryCremeBrulee

9 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Majority of their workforce seem to be elderly retired people boosting their pensions

We had that with the minibus drivers when we used to leave the car at Marchwood .

Before the pandemic .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We used that once. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and reasonably priced. Just not as convenient as CPS or P4C.

They moved and are now down the back of Holiday Inn ,in Southampton 

Hi Folks, leaving in late June from Southampton and got a quote of £358 for 2 adult, 2 kids, B&B, dropping to and collecting from port plus 14 nights parking - thinking of going with it for convenience..any thoughts 

On 1/22/2023 at 1:50 PM, majortom10 said:

I personally think that the reason why CPS has increased prices by so much is to deter people from booking direct with them. I think they can fill their available capacity with those that choose free parking with Cunard and P&O and dont really need any other bookings because of limited capacity of car parks and their inability to employ workforce to accept and transfer cars to car park. Majority of their workforce seem to be elderly retired people boosting their pensions and since the pandemic seem to struggle to fill vacancies.

Since Brexit/Ukraine they are no employing as many Eastern Europeans/Russians.

14 hours ago, RogerJH said:

Hi Folks, leaving in late June from Southampton and got a quote of £358 for 2 adult, 2 kids, B&B, dropping to and collecting from port plus 14 nights parking - thinking of going with it for convenience..any thoughts 

Good deal. What hotel? Have just booked cruise package at Hol Inn Eastleigh for 19 night cruise in May at £314 on my own. (My usual Holiday Inn Southampton fully booked for a conference.) 

Has anyone used Cruise Azure Parking at Southampton?

I can't find many reports about them, but they have only been in existence since Nov 2021.

A red light is that there are only mobile numbers but then I am old fashioned

On 1/24/2023 at 10:23 AM, Fionboard said:

Good deal. What hotel? Have just booked cruise package at Hol Inn Eastleigh for 19 night cruise in May at £314 on my own. (My usual Holiday Inn Southampton fully booked for a conference.) 

Chilworth Manor....

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 9:05 PM, molecrochip said:

Rubbish.... sorry to be so blunt. I don't doubt what you were told... but its rubbish. Its bad customer service to make such claims. I am going to defend P&O here as the economics don't work in reverse.

Cruise and Passenger Services Ltd is part of a larger group which operates across the entire port providing warehousing, transport, parking etc. It is a completely independent company to P&O, and Carnival etc.

P&O is a customer, they have no control over the prices charged by CPS. Their only connection is that they have a contract with CPS to provide the bundled car parking benefit on a select fare. I'm sure they get a discount for the thousands of bookings that P&O directly generate and pay for however that's pure economies of scale.

What is more likely is that P&O pay an agreed percentage of the public price, and CPS have put the public price up so as to increase the P&O price. P&O are not going to voluntarily offer to increase what they pay. Alternatively, maybe P&O have negotiated themselves a cheaper price and CPS need to up their price to compensate.

Or maybe, the parent companies were not happy that CPS made a loss last year and have put up all the prices to try and make some money <- most likely!

Sorry to resurrect this thread,  but contrary to Moley's post, CPS are clearly stating that Carnival gad a direct input into the new prices. The attached document is from CPS.

Screenshot_20230214-073331_Facebook.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread,  but contrary to Moley's post, CPS are clearly stating that Carnival gad a direct input into the new prices. The attached document is from CPS.

If true the CMA might be interested in this as price fixing by one company of another independent company may well be illegal under consumer law. Maybe be classified as a business cartel

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tell-the-cma-about-a-competition-or-market-problem

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Is this a reply that came to you?  I do not mean to distrust you, but so much junk does float around the net these days and no point letting to his fly unless authenticated.

So any advantage to Carnival could be that more people choose parking or coach travel over OBS, which they are presumably getting at a much lower price than people would pay themselves?  

Edited by tring

18 minutes ago, tring said:

Is this a reply that came to you?  I do not mean to distrust you, but so much junk does float around the net these days and no point letting to his fly unless authenticated.

So any advantage to Carnival could be that more people choose parking or coach travel over OBS, which they are presumably getting at a much lower price than people would pay themselves?  

Published on another social media forum. I have no reason to doubt its authenticity.

• Thanks 1

Sorry but just proves to be that you have to take what molecrochip with a pinch of salt and not take everything he says as gospel. After all its plainly obvious he works for Carnival UK and has to be under there restraints on what he says.

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

If true the CMA might be interested in this as price fixing by one company of another independent company may well be illegal under consumer law. Maybe be classified as a business cartel

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tell-the-cma-about-a-competition-or-market-problem

I don't think it is of interest to CMA as CPS have a contract with Carnival UK and sole supplier of parking with them so obviously agreement on pricing between them would be normal practice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I don't think it is of interest to CMA as CPS have a contract with Carnival UK and sole supplier of parking with them so obviously agreement on pricing between them would be normal practice.

That would be up to the CMA to decide whether there is price fixing going on. 

51 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

That would be up to the CMA to decide whether there is price fixing going on. 

But if CPS are contracted to Carnival UK and don't supply parking to any other cruise lines, which they don't, it is not pricing or competition problem.

On 1/17/2023 at 9:47 AM, JustOxford said:

Just booked parking with CPS for Arvia 30April for 2 weeks £243 that's a 48.9% increase over last Year. Rang them and their attitude is take it or leave it. Booked this this time as there are two couples sharing the cost. But in October we will be on our own and will book an over night hotel with parking and will still have money left in our pocket. Captive market on site wish I knew who I could complain to away from CPS. 

So why not use Parking 4 Cruises.  Just as easy and half the price.

On 1/24/2023 at 10:23 AM, Fionboard said:

I don't understand how that is a good price.  Parking 4 Cruises would be about £120 plus a night in a hotel at say, £150, would still be no where near £340.

26 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

don't think Fred Olsen are anything to do with Carnival and they supply them?

Fred do not use CPS in Southampton, they use another company called ABP (or AB parking.  Also that company just deals with port parking for Fred ships, but AFAIK the customers always pay directly with Fred just pointing them in that direction.  We have never used port parking with Fred (apart from Newcastle), so not sure of the details.

Edited by tring

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't understand how that is a good price.  Parking 4 Cruises would be about £120 plus a night in a hotel at say, £150, would still be no where near £340.

That makes our stay at The New Place look good for our 19 night Aurora cruise in Oct at £215 for B&B, transfers and parking. I don't know if we get a discount but we now get a premium room, we have used them for many years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tring said:

Fred do not use CPS in Southampton, they use another company.  Not totally sure of the name, but think it may be ABP parking or similar.  Also that company just deals with parking for Fred ships, but AFAIK the customers always pay directly with Fred just pointing them in that direction.  We hav never used port parking with Fred (apart from Newcastle), so not sure of the details.

Yes they do.  Try here.  Bolette sails from southampton and you can book https://www.cruiseparking.co.uk/Order/Create

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes they do.  Try here.  Bolette sails from southampton and you can book https://www.cruiseparking.co.uk/Order/Create

I do not see anything about Fred parking in Southampton mentioned on that link.  Fred do use them from LIverpool (which is shown if you go into book parking), but that is a different matter and again I have never known complimentary parking with Fred.

Edited by tring

25 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

£150 for a hotel !

£60 in a PI is more like it.