Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

On 1/20/2023 at 6:05 AM, Broadside said:

Informative to observe that the Fifth Column Casualisationists who claim that they never notice what other people are wearing are the same people who also claim that ' they always see people wearing shorts/t-shirts/caps etc in the MDR' and 'they have never seen barefoot/ pajamas/ etc in the MDR'

We've not seen bare feet or "Pajamas" in the MDR's Can't sat it happens or not. Just never seen it.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 8:30 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Cruise line staff, for the most part, are reluctant to enforce dress codes for fear of receiving low by ratings on their cruise by evaluation surveys.  If the absence of enforcement, mob rule takes over and people flaunt their lack of manners and upbringing.  When a guy in a wife beater, shorts, and a ballcap on backwards passes muster for smart casual, well, as the saying goes, clothes make the man and if it looks like a slob and acts like a slob, chances are it's a slob.

A sport coat and a pair of slacks isn't going to put anyone over the baggage limit.

Agreed

On 1/20/2023 at 12:44 PM, Hlitner said:

On our most recent Enchanted Princess cruise we did see a few folks turned-away on a dressy night.  The guys were wearing wife-beaters, shorts, and baseball caps.  Very classy indeed.

Ok. Here's my take on that: Breakfast, fine. I've seen it many times on many lines. Lunch, usually a little better.(better shorts, very few wife beater t's) At dinner? Totally unacceptable, period.We will & have complained to the Maitre D about that kind of slovenly dress. In the Buffet? We don't care, as we mostly do the MDR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Ok. Here's my take on that: Breakfast, fine. I've seen it many times on many lines. Lunch, usually a little better.(better shorts, very few wife beater t's) At dinner? Totally unacceptable, period.We will & have complained to the Maitre D about that kind of slovenly dress. In the Buffet? We don't care, as we mostly do the MDR.

I will confess to never having complained to staff about the way other's dress.  DW and I have better things to do than worry about dress codes.  That being said, we have told MDR hosts NOT to seat us with certain folks (we like to share tables at open dining).

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Why do you even care what someone else wears? I certainly don't. I have outgrown my "Billy is making faces at me" behavior a loooong time ago. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, memoak said:

I do not even own a suit or tie anymore since I have retired. Slacks, long sleeve shirt and sports coat is how formal I get these days

No more formal wear for me. I now wear dockers, polo/golf style shirts all evenings. Princess, Celebrity, RC can call the evening whatever they want. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, damiross said:

You are dressing up for others, not yourself.

Talk about a sense of entitlement!!! 

How about you look the other way for MY pleasure. Why do you think everyone should be dressing to please you? The dining room is not a fashion competition.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I guess you saying that my style of dress is for your pleasure. 😆LOL

It'll be a cold day when myself or many others revert to dressing for your pleasure and lately, Princess is in agreement.

I think it's about time for you to look for a more upscale cruise line to maximize your enjoyment.

No, I didn't say that.

If you went to a friend's party and you knew the dress code was suit and tie, would you show up in a bikini?  Would you go to a wedding in shorts and a tee shirt if it was obvious that was not the dress code for the wedding? If invited to a grand gala, would you show up in your pajamas.

I'm not asking for people to dress up for me.  I'm hoping you will respect others who would like to experience a gala night and dress up in at least a suit and tea or the female equivalent.  (By the way, a sport jacket with a tie is just as good as a full blown suit.)

12 minutes ago, damiross said:

No, I didn't say that.

If you went to a friend's party and you knew the dress code was suit and tie, would you show up in a bikini?  Would you go to a wedding in shorts and a tee shirt if it was obvious that was not the dress code for the wedding? If invited to a grand gala, would you show up in your pajamas.

I'm not asking for people to dress up for me.  I'm hoping you will respect others who would like to experience a gala night and dress up in at least a suit and tea or the female equivalent.  (By the way, a sport jacket with a tie is just as good as a full blown suit.)

This is a dinner in a restaurant, not a grand gala, a wedding or even a party. Your examples are entirely irrelevant to the issue. 

I still don't understand why you can't enjoy dressing up for YOURSELF and why you continue to demand that everyone else dress up to satisfy your idea of a GRAND GALA. That makes no sense to me - and I do dress up!

Why can't you respect those who don't want to dress up the way you want them to? Why is it only everyone else who is disrespecting you? 

Edited by PTMary
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, damiross said:

No, I didn't say that.

No more ties at all for me. Don’t even own one. Here in Portland we hardly wear even slacks except maybe funerals and weddings. For Broadway type shows jeans will do

5 hours ago, rbtan said:

"Totally unacceptable, period"  according to you.  Which means very little.

3 hours ago, damiross said:

While the food doesn't taste different, the atmosphere is destroyed by these bozos.  You don't have to dress up in a tuxedo. A suit and tie is sufficient.

You are dressing up for others, not yourself.  If you care only about how you are dressed on formal night then go to the buffet, International Café, or any of the other dining venues.

This, by the way, is from a person who does not like to dress up.  But I do on formal night to respect the others in the MDR.

Sorry I do NOT dress for others as I could care less what they think as I will never see them again And I will eat in the MDR any night I desire. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PTMary said:

Why can't you respect those who don't want to dress up the way you want them to? Why is it only everyone else who is disrespecting you? 

It is Princess Cruise Lines who promote and endorse the dress code , therefore it is a reasonable expectation of your fellow passenger to not to constantly try and undermine this.

Edited by Broadside
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Broadside said:

It is Princess Cruise Lines who promote and endorse the dress code , therefore it is a reasonable expectation of your fellow passenger to not to constantly try and undermine this.

And it is a reasonable expectation that you traditionalists learn to live with reality instead of in the past. No amount of longing for what used to be will bring it back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Broadside said:

Then Princess needs to tell their Maitre Ds and Head Waiters to grow some stones and enforce the so called dress code.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Then Princess needs to tell their Maitre Ds and Head Waiters to grow some stones and enforce the so called dress code.  

Why?  Just to appease the traditionalist?  Not gonna happen as they are currently doing what Princess wants them to do.  There is NO dress code just suggestions.  Sorry.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Why?  Just to appease the traditionalist?  Not gonna happen as they are currently doing what Princess wants them to do.  There is NO dress code just suggestions.  Sorry.

Don't get me wrong. I could care less what the staff allows and what others wear. None of my business. My post was trying to prove a point that no matter what's published the staff isn't going to enforce it no matter what others want. That's why I said so called dress code.  I guess I failed at making my point. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Broadside said:

While Princess promotes a so called dress code, their reasons are all motivated by $$. Their objective is only to please everyone, including themselves which they've been doing very nicely may I add. 

Lets hope things never return to the old days of casual, semi formal and formal. 

17 hours ago, damiross said:

No, I didn't say that.

Most of my friends would not be pretentious enough to suggest a dress code for a party and would be more concerned about their friends having an enjoyable time together then wanting others to dress to impress which is so shallow.  

The reality is that Princess does not have a dress code that they enforce across the fleet and most long time Princess cruisers know that.  The newbie's will soon learn that too.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:08 PM, Potstech said:

Sorry I do NOT dress for others as I could care less what they think as I will never see them again And I will eat in the MDR any night I desire. 

Why care about others?  As long as you are happy, who cares what others think.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 3:08 PM, Potstech said:

Well I guess if you think that it IS acceptable to dress in the MDR in shorts & a wife beater T for dinner I guess that's fine for you. I feel most other pax would rather dine with pax who at least make an effort to not look like a slob.Not talking Tux/Suit, just reasonably dressed.

Edited by rbtan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1