Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Just out of curiosity, which cruise lines other than Cunard still enforce a strict dress code?  

We were with a friend who was turned away from the dining room on a Paul Gauguin cruise for wearing sandals with his long pants and button down shirt. Their dress code is similar to Princess’ smart casual every night. Men must have closed toed shoes though. Luckily he did have some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

I was not really confused. Using, "defiantly," instead of, "definitely," struck me as funny.

I will not wear shorts in the MDR. If there was a restaurant on land that that requested certain wear, I'd either dress as requested, or not go. Just because the restaurant is at sea, I see no difference.

I did see a man in shorts refused to the MDR last March on a Hawaii run, so refusals do happen.

Sorry about my misspelling. 

Every time this question comes up, I throw in my two penny worth..

Cruiselines should not have ‘suggested’ dress codes, but should enforce their dress code whatever that dress code may be !!!!!!!!!!!

I am fed up of hearing,

‘It’s your holiday, wear whatever you like.’

’I can get away with……’

’Wear what you are comfortable with.’

I have seen jeans, shorts, paint splattered joggers in the dining room. I have seem people with shorts turned away, but because the paint splattered joggers were ‘long trousers’ they were allowed in.

So..cruiselines …….please publish  your requirements  and just enforce the regulations.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Cruiselines should not have ‘suggested’ dress codes, but should enforce their dress code whatever that dress code may be !!!!!!!!!!!

So..cruiselines …….please publish  your requirements  and just enforce the regulations.

One of the things we have definitely witnessed since being with Princess many years is that they do not consistently enforce any of their  rules.

Another thing we have noticed is that we are always in Club class and we have never seen anyone turned away no matter what they are wearing.  Shorts, men in shorts with tights, baseball caps, over-all, etc. has all been allowed.  This is also true for the specialty restaurants now that I think about it.

It may happen more in the MDR's because there are always people at the doors monitoring the seating situation whereas it is not true for CC or other dining venues on Princess.  

Edited by Princessfan20

3 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

One of the things we have definitely witnessed since being with Princess many years is that they do not consistently enforce any of their  rules.

Another thing we have noticed is that we are always in Club class and we have never seen anyone turned away no matter what they are wearing.  Shorts, men in shorts with tights, baseball caps, over-all, etc. has all been allowed.  This is also true for the specialty restaurants now that I think about it.

It may happen more in the MDR's because there are always people at the doors monitoring the seating situation whereas it is not true for CC or other dining venues on Princess.  

Specialty restaurants are always casual for every night

On 1/14/2023 at 8:02 AM, wannagonow123 said:

I know me & my husband wear jeans and a decent shirt, but my BIL does not want to pack long pants.

Honestly tell your brother-in-law to pack a pair of pants for just incase and for the rest of us ,tell your brother-in-law to go to the main dining room for dinner in his shorts every single night and report back here what actually happens. BeCause you never do know unless you try it. Some ships “you “might be able to get away with it ,some you may not. Some “dining room managers “may let  people in shorts to dine,,some may not. The only way to find out is to try it . Of course this usually just pertains to dinner. If you go to the main dining room for breakfast or lunch not a problem to go in with shorts on.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, memoak said:

Specialty restaurants are always casual for every night

According to the website the dress code is the same in all dining venues on formal night. The poster’s BIL should bring pants if he wants to be sure of eating in them or the MDR. https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

084970F9-AC66-429F-8E5B-E844C7179DA4.thumb.jpeg.7706adf8107ed5315abe61888c84cd6f.jpeg

Just got off the Sky yesterday. There were shorts in the dining room every night. Also saw men with no shirts eating in the buffet. 

I will say it was one of our better Princess cruises.  We did Enchanted last March and was disappointed. 

We are now on Celebrity Apex for a B2B. We enjoy both lines for their different experiences. Use to favor Princess, but now slightly favor Celebrity. 

• Like 2

I am on Caribbean Princess and I can report that unless I had read about the dress code in Princess Patter I would not know it existed.  Shorts and caps were worn in the MDR on formal night. Less evident on the second. I have also seen people in lightweight rain coats.

I come from the UK where no one wears a cap indoors either at home or in a restaurant,  pub. theatre etc. 

I don't have the nerve to ask someone why they are wearing a cap to dinner so can someone here explain it to me please? 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I don't have the nerve to ask someone why they are wearing a cap to dinner so can someone here explain it to me please? 

This is simply something that is done here in the "colonies" (i.e. the USA and maybe Canada).  Being a card carrying senior citizen I have seen it done for my lifetime.  I was in the military as was my father and did not wear a hat in a restaurant but many do.  Each country/region has their own peculiarities.

2 hours ago, pilot said:

Just got off the Sky yesterday. There were shorts in the dining room every night. Also saw men with no shirts eating in the buffet. 

I will say it was one of our better Princess cruises.  We did Enchanted last March and was disappointed. 

We are now on Celebrity Apex for a B2B. We enjoy both lines for their different experiences. Use to favor Princess, but now slightly favor Celebrity. 

For myself, I normally try to follow the published rules.  Dont really care what others are wearing, but I do think shirts should be required in restaurants, even the buffet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have worn shorts in the MDR on the CB in the Caribbean after I saw others doing the same.  This on non-formal nights.  I have never worn a tie or coat on formal nights on any ship or cruise line.  What I have been wearing the last many years is a short sleeved guayabera shirt with black jeans or sometimes blue jeans.  I have worn blue jeans on all non-formal nights without even a side look.  Other cruiselines for the mass market dropped their pretense of "formal " night years ago.  PCL needs to follow suit and join their competitors.  For the record I have never seen shorts worn on formal night which just means I have never personally seen it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

I am fed up of hearing,

‘It’s your holiday, wear whatever you like.’

’I can get away with……’

’Wear what you are comfortable with.’

I have seen jeans, shorts, paint splattered joggers in the dining room. I have seem people with shorts turned away, but because the paint splattered joggers were ‘long trousers’ they were allowed in.

The real world reality, irrespective of what one may desire it to be, is that DRESS CODE = DRESS SUGGESTION. 

In the words of one much much wiser than I, "It is what it is". And no amount of pax angst is going to change this fact. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

According to the website the dress code is the same in all dining venues on formal night. The poster’s BIL should bring pants if he wants to be sure of eating in them or the MDR. https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

084970F9-AC66-429F-8E5B-E844C7179DA4.thumb.jpeg.7706adf8107ed5315abe61888c84cd6f.jpeg

Formal attire is not required on formal nights in specialty restaurants.  This has been true for a long time on Princess.  Maybe people interpret what was posted as meaning that but that is not the reality for Princess passengers.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 7:43 AM, wannagonow123 said:

OK. I know what the website suggests, but I would like to know what people are wearing in the dining room for non-gala nights. If someone shows up in shorts, will they be turned away? We are cruising with a couple that mainly cruises with Carnival, where short of bathing suits allows just about anything.

For goodness sake, have your friends wear a pair of pants to dinner

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Cathygh said:

I come from the UK where no one wears a cap indoors either at home or in a restaurant,  pub. theatre etc. 

My guess is that it's a convenient place to leave it otherwise where would they store it? Either on the table, on the floor or sit on it. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, pilot said:

Assuming yours was a 7 night (or some combination of those) were there two formal nights, or one formal and one dress-your-best or equivalent? Trying to decide whether to pack my tux - this will be our first time sailing out of the USA and it seems like people dress a little more casually, also seems more worthwhile if we'll have 4 formal nights on our 14 night cruise.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

My guess is that it's a convenient place to leave it otherwise where would they store it? Either on the table, on the floor or sit on it. 

Well, they could leave it their cabin while they eat.  I really don’t get this fascination of wearing a baseball cap everywhere you go.  My husband wears one to mow the lawn or if he’s out in the sun.  Never, ever, indoors.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Well, they could leave it their cabin while they eat.  I really don’t get this fascination of wearing a baseball cap everywhere you go.  My husband wears one to mow the lawn or if he’s out in the sun.  Never, ever, indoors.

Maybe they just came from sitting outdoors and never went back to their cabin?

It's still not that upsetting. 

Just saying.

Folks, I am not the bad guy here. I was just hoping that everyone would say he would be denied service by wearing shorts. I cannot force him to pack pants. He does not belong to me. My husband and I both wear jeans, but eat at buffet on , as we call it, dress up nights. I was going to print out this thread for him to read, but not anymore. Too many responses that favor him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wannagonow123 said:

Folks, I am not the bad guy here. I was just hoping that everyone would say he would be denied service by wearing shorts. I cannot force him to pack pants. He does not belong to me. My husband and I both wear jeans, but eat at buffet on , as we call it, dress up nights. I was going to print out this thread for him to read, but not anymore. Too many responses that favor him. 

Bottom line, it doesn't matter what others experiences, opinions are. One thing about this subject on this and other cruise line forums, the enforcement of suggested dress for the MDR in the evening is consistently inconsistent. 

• Like 2