Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

31 minutes ago, 555 said:

Maybe they just came from sitting outdoors and never went back to their cabin?

It's still not that upsetting. 

Just saying.

Sorry, but wearing a baseball hat while dining in an indoor restaurant is never appropriate.  Just saying.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, wannagonow123 said:

Folks, I am not the bad guy here. I was just hoping that everyone would say he would be denied service by wearing shorts. 

I don't get the point why one has to be told denied access in order to "get the message"?  We disciplined our kids "No, you can't do this, or you can't do that".  But adults should know to dress appropriately without being disciplined - a denied access onto the face is a discipline.  If I were denied access into a nice restaurant because of inappropriate attire, I would be so embarrassed.

21 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Honestly tell your brother-in-law to pack a pair of pants for just incase and for the rest of us ,tell your brother-in-law to go to the main dining room for dinner in his shorts every single night and report back here what actually happens. BeCause you never do know unless you try it. Some ships “you “might be able to get away with it ,some you may not. Some “dining room managers “may let  people in shorts to dine,,some may not. The only way to find out is to try it . Of course this usually just pertains to dinner. If you go to the main dining room for breakfast or lunch not a problem to go in with shorts on.

Really bad advice here.  Why push the limit?  Only a low self-esteem person would follow your advice to try "every single night".  If you get in with shorts one night out of 7 nights, would that make you proud?

Edited by CeCe_
  • Like 2

CeCe-

I do not think I gave bad  advice. I even went so far as to suggest that the brother-in-law bring a pair of pants as a back up in case he really wanted to eat in the dining room and was turned away. To each his own on this topic. I was answering honestly because apparently brother-in-law doesn’t like to wear long pants and I think that’s totally fine.  Everybody’s opinions on here count and not very many people like the dress code questions and they feel more than ever to comment. I don’t think it has anything to do with low self-esteem by trying to get into the dining room with shorts on at dinner.  Everyone has their reasons of how they want to dress and… 

I’m just saying no one has the answer here ,so I suggested that the OP/author have their brother-in-law try to get in the dining room ( for dinner)with shorts and report back , that’s all I was getting at . On any given day nobody has the answer to what will really happen and does it really matter what you wear and what the op’s brother-in-law wears into the dining room ,I don’t think so.

And unfortunately the dress code rules /suggestions whatever you want to call it on princess will never be solved. But there’s a lot of people on cruise critic that are asking legitimate questions, not everyone on cruise critic reads every single thread or knows how to use the search function etc. so ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wannagonow123 said:

Folks, I am not the bad guy here. I was just hoping that everyone would say he would be denied service by wearing shorts. I cannot force him to pack pants. He does not belong to me. My husband and I both wear jeans, but eat at buffet on , as we call it, dress up nights. I was going to print out this thread for him to read, but not anymore. Too many responses that favor him. 

Thanks for reporting back .I do hope you report back after your cruise is over and let us know how the shorts “pans “out . And yes you’ll get lots of answers and opinions. But I still want to see what happens in the dining room for dinner .honestly no one can tell you if he can wear shorts in the dining room or not and who cares if one night he gets in and one night he doesn’t or how many nights he gets in ,it just means they (Princess)are or are not enforcing the rules/ guidelines,but is it really going to affect anybody else in the dining room’s experience ,of course not . Your BILor anyone that wants to eat in shorts is going to be sitting for over an hour in the dining room and I’m never going to see their shorts and the tablecloth will hide the shorts and the  napkin on their lap ,so I say have brother-in-law go for it -wear shorts .  And the next time I cruise I probably won’t be sharing a table with anybody other than my immediate cruising people so I don’t really care what you’re wearing at the next table .Many other things in the dining room to be concerned about in my opinion.

Oh and just to let all of you know- on a cruise ,I dress up every single night in the dining room or specialty restaurant ,but I honestly don’t care what people wear , it does not affect what I’m eating in the dining room whatsoever. 

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

We are on the 14 day Caribbean Princess Starting 1/27. When we get back, I will report back where he eats. He is stubborn as hell. I guess I will tell my sister in law to pack a pair of jeans or pants in her suitcase. 

And just an FYI, the last time we cruised on Holland America, pants were required for men and women. Skorts needed to look like a skirt. They were really polite in telling us that we needed to change, and they would hold our table. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Very poor analogy, sorry. Bare feet represent a health code violation. Apples and oranges but a valiant effort on your part to be sure. 

You've expertly defined the crux of the entire matter. Respectfully, simply because you "cannot understand" something and wish to impose your views on others who do not share your point of view does not warrant forcing your view of the world on that other person. I submit to you that his point is equally valid as your own. 

Thank you for providing needed clarity to the debate. 

Not trying to be snarky, genuine question: what health code and why does it apply to feet?  My feet, shod or bare, never touch anything but the carpet and are probably cleaner than many passengers’ hands. Is there an on-board health inspector and who does he/she work for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Not trying to be snarky, genuine question: what health code and why does it apply to feet?  My feet, shod or bare, never touch anything but the carpet and are probably cleaner than many passengers’ hands. Is there an on-board health inspector and who does he/she work for?

You would have to ask the cruise line!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BamaVol said:

My guess is this: Who among us has been in the MDR and not heard the crash of a plate or glass? Multiply that times every cruise for as long as the carpet has been there.  It is near imposible to get every shread of broken glass out of carpet. It's for your own safety. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Oh My Gosh!!  Can't we just let this one die?  We're beating a dead horse here...as is always the case when somebody throws this question out there.  🙄

Glad to see that you are still contributing to the thread. 😂

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Oh My Gosh!!  Can't we just let this one die?  We're beating a dead horse here...as is always the case when somebody throws this question out there.  🙄

It's very easy to let a a thread like this die: DON"T READ IT!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Broadside said:

Important to remember that it is not Princess Cruise Lines who flout the dress code .

It is exclusively some Princess Passengers who choose to flout the dress code.

It's definitely more than a few who choose to select their own style of dress. It's evident on every cruise that passengers wish to dress for comfort rather than follow the formalists lead. 

Be comfortable, it's your vacation not a fashion event.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 555 said:

It's definitely more than a few who choose to select their own style of dress. It's evident on every cruise that passengers wish to dress for comfort rather than follow the formalists lead. 

Be comfortable, it's your vacation not a fashion event.

This is true.  It seems like the majority of cruisers we have seen on Formal Nights do not rigidly follow the SUGGESTED Princess dress codes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Broadside said:

Important to remember that it is not Princess Cruise Lines who flout the dress code .

It is exclusively some Princess Passengers who choose to flout the dress code.

Important?  Hardly!  The last vestiges of tux/gown/suit and tie wearing on cruise ships are quickly fading away.  But, there is a line where those who want to dress up can book a cruise.  I hear Cunard is the place to go.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Important?  Hardly!  The last vestiges of tux/gown/suit and tie wearing on cruise ships are quickly fading away.  But, there is a line where those who want to dress up can book a cruise.  I hear Cunard is the place to go.  

I have seen the same discussion repeatedly on Flyer Talk. com. There is a segment of the flying population that longs for the days when everyone dressed up to travel by air.  They are slowly dying off and (sadly IMO) being replaced by people flying in their pajamas.  But I understand the desire to be comfortable.  I threw away all my ties but one or two after I stopped working in offices that required it.  I keep a couple for cruise dinners and funerals.

• Haha 1

It is noted that the Casualistionists are once again asserting their non- evidenced propaganda.

Fortunately Princess Cruise Lines have ignored them and instead listened and responded to the most influential and preferential sections of their customer base by continuing to promote Formal Nights and expanding the 'dress to impress' events.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Exactly. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

We are currently on the NCL Joy. People who want to dress up can do so on this cruise. It's called Freestyle where people can pretty much dress the way they want and and most people are happy about it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Broadside said:

It is noted that the Casualistionists are once again asserting their non- evidenced propaganda.

Fortunately Princess Cruise Lines have ignored them and instead listened and responded to the most influential and preferential sections of their customer base by continuing to promote Formal Nights and expanding the 'dress to impress' events.

I think we are being pranked! This comment has to be satirical! LOL!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

But there are limits. I do not enjoy watching people walk about the ship in bare feet or showing up in the dining room in pajamas. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BamaVol said:

I have seen the same discussion repeatedly on Flyer Talk. com. There is a segment of the flying population that longs for the days when everyone dressed up to travel by air.  They are slowly dying off and (sadly IMO) being replaced by people flying in their pajamas.  But I understand the desire to be comfortable.  I threw away all my ties but one or two after I stopped working in offices that required it.  I keep a couple for cruise dinners and funerals.

I have no ties at all now. Here in Portland we live a pretty casual life style. Formal for me is slacks, long sleeve shirt and sports coat

• Like 1