Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

OK. I know what the website suggests, but I would like to know what people are wearing in the dining room for non-gala nights. If someone shows up in shorts, will they be turned away? We are cruising with a couple that mainly cruises with Carnival, where short of bathing suits allows just about anything.

17 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

I know me & my husband wear jeans and a decent shirt, but my BIL does not want to pack long pants.

Your BIL will be most welcomed at the buffet or the IC or the grill.  If he can’t throw on a pair of long pants for an hour and a half for dinner, then he certainly has options.  

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

OK. I know what the website suggests, but I would like to know what people are wearing in the dining room for non-gala nights. If someone shows up in shorts, will they be turned away? We are cruising with a couple that mainly cruises with Carnival, where short of bathing suits allows just about anything.

No one can answer that. Depends on the staff at the entrance to the MDR. One way to personally find out. I'd tell him to pack at least one pair of long pants. There's always the buffet. I always wear shorts only on the first evening. All other evenings it's dockers and a polo/golf style shirt for me. My wife wears slacks and some sort of fancy tops. We no longer pack formal wear. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

No one can answer that. Depends on the staff at the entrance to the MDR. One way to personally find out. I'd tell him to pack at least one pair of long pants. There's always the buffet. I always wear shorts only on the first evening. All other evenings it's dockers and a polo/golf style shirt for me. My wife wears slacks and some sort of fancy tops. We no longer pack formal wear. 

This is true.  We were just recently on a 10 day Mexican cruise and there was very little monitoring at the door.  We were in CC and every night 3 different cruisers from different groups came to the dinning room wearing shorts, even on formal nights, and were greeted warmly by the restaurant manager.  I thought about all the comments on CC that say shorts are never allowed.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

I know me & my husband wear jeans and a decent shirt, but my BIL does not want to pack long pants.

From what we see, most people dine in MDR respect some level of "smart casual" attire on non-formal nights.  I doubt jeans are even allowed in MDR with the exception on the embarkation nights.  

Edited by CeCe_
  • Like 2

Although I can't speak recently for other ships, on the Enchanted shorts are defiantly allowed on casual nights. Even though the dress code has been greatly relaxed from past years, I didn't see any on formal nights but suites, tuxes and formal gowns are no longer required.

It's basically whatever makes you feel comfortable.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

I doubt jeans are even allowed in MDR with the exception on the embarkation nights.  

That's no longer true on Princess for many years now. 

Jeans are even acceptable on formal nights. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

From what we see, most people dine in MDR respect some level of "smart casual" attire on non-formal nights.  I doubt jeans are even allowed in MDR with the exception on the embarkation nights.  

I wear jeans on all casual nights. I only put on slacks and a sports coat for formal nights

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CeCe_ said:

Nice jeans are acceptable in the MDR as long as they are not torn.

• Like 2

If your friend doesn't like the published dress code maybe he should consider another type of vacation or go back to Carnival.  I guess I just don't understand why folks think it's OK to try to see what they can get away with.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TM said:

If your friend doesn't like the published dress code maybe he should consider another type of vacation or go back to Carnival.  I guess I just don't understand why folks think it's OK to try to see what they can get away with.

Or they keep asking the same question over and over again trying to get the answer they want. Also see this a lot when it comes to covid testing for unvaccinated passengers when the Princess website has a tool to see exactly what is required for your individual cruise

• Like 4

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Great answer. ❤️ 

• Like 1

On formal nights we always eat in the buffet. We try to respect those who choose to get dressed up. That being said, when it is not a dress up day, my jeans are clean, not faded and not ripped. Same with my shirts. I truly wish there was a way to have one dining room for those that want to get dressed up, and one for ones that don't. I don't want to add weight to my suitcase.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wannagonow123 said:

The dress policy says no shorts, but I have seen plenty of people in shorts in the MDR on Caribbean cruises.  As long as the shorts are presentable (ie. not cutoff jeans, athletic shorts etc.) he should  be fine, unless some Karen decides to make a scene and complain.

If you want to eat in the MDR on a formal night in your jeans go for it...there is no reason that you wearing jeans should affect anyone who chose to dress up, or that you should feel that you need to eat in the buffet.  I am completely with you on carrying a suit while on vacation just to dress up for dinner on a cruise.

Edited by malba2366
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, wannagonow123 said:

OK. I know what the website suggests, but I would like to know what people are wearing in the dining room for non-gala nights.  People are wearing pants

If someone shows up in shorts, will they be turned away?  I have seen people turned away and I have seen people welcomed.

We are cruising with a couple that mainly cruises with Carnival, where short of bathing suits allows just about anything.  Surely your friends own a pair of pants. 

At the same time there are plenty of places on the ship where you can eat very casual like the buffet, outdoor grill and pizza area, etc.  You can also dine without any pants at all by ordering room service.  ok, that was meant to be funny not snarky.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

On formal nights we always eat in the buffet. We try to respect those who choose to get dressed up. That being said, when it is not a dress up day, my jeans are clean, not faded and not ripped. Same with my shirts. I truly wish there was a way to have one dining room for those that want to get dressed up, and one for ones that don't. I don't want to add weight to my suitcase.

IMO, nothing wrong with what you wear.

There is. It's called the buffet <insert actual buffet name for the ship>. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1