Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

Just now, MissP22 said:

I have yet to see anyone wearing any pair of jeans being turned away yet. 

Their attitude as to what types of jeans are acceptable has also changed over the years. 

As long as the jeans aren’t full of holes there isn’t an issue. I bring jeans and one pair of slacks no ties. In fact I no longer own any ties. Here in Portland everything is casual 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

As long as the jeans aren’t full of holes there isn’t an issue. I bring jeans and one pair of slacks no ties. In fact I no longer own any ties. Here in Portland everything is casual 

That's the way it is here in Florida also. I haven't seen anyone wearing jeans with holes, yet, but after seeing what some people consider nice jeans, it would be an improvement. 😄

My DH burned all his ties after we moved to Florida & refuses to wear a jacket anywhere no matter what the occasion. I think the last time he did wear one was over 20 years ago on a cruise when things were more formal.   

• Like 1

My DH and I are now retired and living in the country where we foster large breed dogs and we certainly dress appropriately lol!  When we cruise, my DH loves to dress nicely in dress pants, shirt and tie and a sport coat with dress shoes. The suits and tux are now gone.  He looks so good and I feel lucky to be by his side.  Dressing up can be fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Isn't it wonderful, isn't it lovely ... that we have different cruise lines that enforce or don't enforce various dress codes ... from none at all ... to a smart casual, not strictly enforced ... to a strictly enforced dress code for all dining venues.   Something out there for all of us, huh!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

Isn't it wonderful, isn't it lovely ... that we have different cruise lines that enforce or don't enforce various dress codes ... from none at all ... to a smart casual, not strictly enforced ... to a strictly enforced dress code for all dining venues.   Something out there for all of us, huh!

Agree. And all of this is way above my pay grade. We are just along for the ride. 

We went on CP  and shorts were allowed.  3 months later they were not.   Guess it depends on whether Maitre D enforces the dress code.  Doesn’t take much to throw a pair of long pants in your luggage

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Just out of curiosity, which cruise lines other than Cunard still enforce a strict dress code?  

9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Just out of curiosity, which cruise lines other than Cunard still enforce a strict dress code?  

Haven’t been on them all, but I have not seen it enforced on Norwegian or Royal Caribbean. There was usually one guy in shorts, tank top and ball cap every night. I don’t know if everyone else being dressed up bothered him. 

I’m gonna dress up because I want to. I don’t really care how anyone else is dressed. But I will notice. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Haven’t been on them all, but I have not seen it enforced on Norwegian or Royal Caribbean. There was usually one guy in shorts, tank top and ball cap every night. I don’t know if everyone else being dressed up bothered him. 

I’m gonna dress up because I want to. I don’t really care how anyone else is dressed. But I will notice. 

We've led a sheltered cruise life for many years now so Princess is all we know about other than what is posted on CC. 

What is important is that Princess has joined the majority of cruise lines with a less formal attitude.

Enjoy your cruise no matter how you choose to dress. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

What is important is that Princess has joined the majority of cruise lines with a less formal attitude.

I wish they would stop perpetuating the "Formal Night" fantasy in their dress code FAQs. If they aren't enforcing it, why continue to create so much needless worry about what to wear. It would eliminate so many of these "what to wear on formal night" threads. Princess is doing no one any favors by sustaining this pointless fantasy.

3 hours ago, wannagonow123 said:

On formal nights we always eat in the buffet. We try to respect those who choose to get dressed up. That being said, when it is not a dress up day, my jeans are clean, not faded and not ripped. Same with my shirts. I truly wish there was a way to have one dining room for those that want to get dressed up, and one for ones that don't. I don't want to add weight to my suitcase.

Soon my friend, .... soon.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

From what we see, most people dine in MDR respect some level of "smart casual" attire on non-formal nights.  I doubt jeans are even allowed in MDR with the exception on the embarkation nights.  

Jeans are definitely allowed. The only restriction I recall is that ripped jeans are not allowed. I remember telling my kids this on their first cruise back in 2017-ish.

1 hour ago, sloopsailor said:

I wish they would stop perpetuating the "Formal Night" fantasy in their dress code FAQs. If they aren't enforcing it, why continue to create so much needless worry about what to wear. It would eliminate so many of these "what to wear on formal night" threads. Princess is doing no one any favors by sustaining this pointless fantasy.

It serves it's purposes. Onboard Princess ships it increases sales for both drinks, photo's, and hair styles and by unofficially letting their customers decide for themselves what is appropriate.

For CC, it increases the traffic of hits thereby increasing their cash for advertising. 

47 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Either autocorrect ran amok there or the most confusing comment I've read on CC.

It might be confusing to you, but never the less, true on all the ships we've been on since the return from Covid. 

No one is forcing you to wear shorts. It's an option if your choose. 

9 hours ago, wannagonow123 said:

OK. I know what the website suggests, but I would like to know what people are wearing in the dining room for non-gala nights. If someone shows up in shorts, will they be turned away? We are cruising with a couple that mainly cruises with Carnival, where short of bathing suits allows just about anything.

I can only report my brother-in-law was refused entry (for dinner) wearing shorts.  He knew this would happen, but he tried anyway.  Made him mad enough to not join us for dinner for the rest of the cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deesquared said:

Jeans are definitely allowed. The only restriction I recall is that ripped jeans are not allowed. I remember telling my kids this on their first cruise back in 2017-ish.

Thank you!  It really doesn't matter to us.  Even if we learn now jeans are allowed, doesn't meant we will.  Call us old fashioned!  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

It might be confusing to you, but never the less, true on all the ships we've been on since the return from Covid. 

No one is forcing you to wear shorts. It's an option if your choose. 

I was not really confused. Using, "defiantly," instead of, "definitely," struck me as funny.

I will not wear shorts in the MDR. If there was a restaurant on land that that requested certain wear, I'd either dress as requested, or not go. Just because the restaurant is at sea, I see no difference.

I did see a man in shorts refused to the MDR last March on a Hawaii run, so refusals do happen.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I can only report my brother-in-law was refused entry (for dinner) wearing shorts.  He knew this would happen, but he tried anyway.  Made him mad enough to not join us for dinner for the rest of the cruise.

That’s pretty funny.  I’m sure the MDR eventually got over the snub.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2